IE will not load

john-uk

IE will not load
XP Home SP3, following a total reinstallation after windows stopped booting.
Installed with IE6 then Update found and installed IE7 then IE8.
None of them will load. A window flashes briefly on the screen, disappears
again and that is that. No error message, no event, no log that I can find.

Any ideas or advice on diagnosis ?

Re: IE will not load
Did you do a Repair Install or did you format your HDD & do a clean install?

Assuming it was a Repair Install, was IE7 or IE8 installed before you did
the Repair Install?
www.banthecheck.com

john-uk wrote:
> XP Home SP3, following a total reinstallation after windows stopped
> booting.
> Installed with IE6 then Update found and installed IE7 then IE8.
> None of them will load. A window flashes briefly on the screen,
> disappears
> again and that is that. No error message, no event, no log that I can
> find.
>
> Any ideas or advice on diagnosis ?

Peter Foldes

Re: IE will not load
Explain what you mean by total re-installation.

Did you reformat the Hard Drive first and then installed XP Home with SP3 already on
the install disk or you used System Restore or how did you do it ?

--
Peter

"john-uk" <john-uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Home SP3, following a total reinstallation after windows stopped booting.
> Installed with IE6 then Update found and installed IE7 then IE8.
> None of them will load. A window flashes briefly on the screen, disappears
> again and that is that. No error message, no event, no log that I can find.
>
> Any ideas or advice on diagnosis ?

Donald Anadell

Re: IE will not load

"john-uk" <john-uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Home SP3, following a total reinstallation after windows stopped
> booting.
> Installed with IE6 then Update found and installed IE7 then IE8.
> None of them will load. A window flashes briefly on the screen,
> disappears
> again and that is that. No error message, no event, no log that I can
> find.
>
> Any ideas or advice on diagnosis ?

See if the following resolves your issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928427

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

VanguardLH

Re: IE will not load
john-uk wrote:

> XP Home SP3, following a total reinstallation after windows stopped booting.
> Installed with IE6 then Update found and installed IE7 then IE8.
> None of them will load. A window flashes briefly on the screen, disappears
> again and that is that. No error message, no event, no log that I can find.
>
> Any ideas or advice on diagnosis ?

Tried loading IE7/8 in its no add-ons mode?
john-uk

RE: IE will not load
To close down this thread I have to report that all now works (my previous
posting seems to have been lost). I did not try to determine the exact cause
(life is not long enough !).
I uninstalled SP3 and IE8 and IE7. IE6 then loaded OK in SP2. IE7
reinstalled but would not load, taken out again. SP3 and many other Windows
updates applied again, followed by IE8 - which now works fine. Clearly a
glitch in one of the many updates involved or interaction between two or more
of them. I have no idea where.
My thanks to those who responded to the initial post.