IE8 eats up all available memory

Jake S

IE8 eats up all available memory
IE 8.00.6001.18702 running on WinXP Home with SP3 and the latest patches up
to Oct 2009

I was at the following site:
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm
trying to get zonealarm. I click the left side of the page "Download Now"
under Download Basic Firewall and it takes me to the following site:

http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...=dl&tag=button
once again, I click the "Download Now" link. The next thing that happens is
nothing. I don't get prompted for a location to save the file. All I see is
iexplore process starts eating up memory (Mem Usage) all the way to 1GB
before I end task it.

Not sure if this is IE8 problem or something else. I've never seen this
symptom with IE7. This is my first experience with IE8. Does anyone
experience the same problem with IE8?

Re: IE8 eats up all available memory
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Jake S wrote:
> IE 8.00.6001.18702 running on WinXP Home with SP3 and the latest patches
> up
> to Oct 2009
>
> I was at the following site:
> http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm
> trying to get zonealarm. I click the left side of the page "Download Now"
> under Download Basic Firewall and it takes me to the following site:
>
> http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...=dl&tag=button
> once again, I click the "Download Now" link. The next thing that happens
> is
> nothing. I don't get prompted for a location to save the file. All I see
> is
> iexplore process starts eating up memory (Mem Usage) all the way to 1GB
> before I end task it.
>
> Not sure if this is IE8 problem or something else. I've never seen this
> symptom with IE7. This is my first experience with IE8. Does anyone
> experience the same problem with IE8?

Jake S

Re: IE8 eats up all available memory
I haven't tried any of what you ask below. I did however try to download
from the same site using IE7 at the office and the same thing happens. IE7
starts eating up hundreds of megabytes before I end task it.

That leads me to believe that there is something wrong with that site.

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Jake S wrote:
>> IE 8.00.6001.18702 running on WinXP Home with SP3 and the latest patches
>> up
>> to Oct 2009
>>
>> I was at the following site:
>> http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-firewall.htm
>> trying to get zonealarm. I click the left side of the page "Download Now"
>> under Download Basic Firewall and it takes me to the following site:
>>
>> http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...=dl&tag=button
>> once again, I click the "Download Now" link. The next thing that happens
>> is
>> nothing. I don't get prompted for a location to save the file. All I see
>> is
>> iexplore process starts eating up memory (Mem Usage) all the way to 1GB
>> before I end task it.
>>
>> Not sure if this is IE8 problem or something else. I've never seen this
>> symptom with IE7. This is my first experience with IE8. Does anyone
>> experience the same problem with IE8?

Re: IE8 eats up all available memory
> I haven't tried any of what you ask below

Do you think I posted all the for my health?