Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8

Bill

Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
When I close IE8, I am often left with an "invisible" toolbar which has two
or three textfields and two buttons--the rightmost has the label "Find Now".
This toolbar is not even one associated with IE8, I think, but closing IE8
causes it to appear (about 1/3 of the time).

Hmm...maybe my homepage, msn.com, is too complex?

But that still doesn't explain the mysterious looking toolbar.

I would welcome ideas or suggestions!

Thank you,
Bill

Don Varnau

Re: Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
Hi,
1. Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons and disable any add-on you think might be
causing this. If the problem goes away, re-enable one add-on at a time until
the guilty party shows itself. Uninstall/reinstall the troublesome add-on,
look for an updated version or leave it uninstalled.

2. If you right-click the toolbar, is there any hint as to which program or
add-on provided it?

3. If you hover over or right-click programs (icons) in the System
Tray/Notification Area, is there a program running which might be causing
the toolbar to appear?

4. If you choose another, or blank, homepage, does the toolbar stop
appearing?

5. Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete/Task Manager show a program which might be providing
the toolbar?

6. This toolbar might indicate a hijackware/spyware infection. Has the
computer always been protected by updated security programs- antivirus,
antispyware, security suite, etc?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> When I close IE8, I am often left with an "invisible" toolbar which has

two
> or three textfields and two buttons--the rightmost has the label "Find

Now".
> This toolbar is not even one associated with IE8, I think, but closing IE8
> causes it to appear (about 1/3 of the time).
>
> Hmm...maybe my homepage, msn.com, is too complex?
>
> But that still doesn't explain the mysterious looking toolbar.
>
> I would welcome ideas or suggestions!
>
> Thank you,
> Bill

Bill

Re: Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
Thank you, Don. I'll try to disable some more add-ons.
-Bill

> Hi,
> 1. Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons and disable any add-on you think might
> be
> causing this. If the problem goes away, re-enable one add-on at a time
> until
> the guilty party shows itself. Uninstall/reinstall the troublesome add-on,
> look for an updated version or leave it uninstalled.
>
> 2. If you right-click the toolbar, is there any hint as to which program
> or
> add-on provided it?
>
> 3. If you hover over or right-click programs (icons) in the System
> Tray/Notification Area, is there a program running which might be causing
> the toolbar to appear?
>
> 4. If you choose another, or blank, homepage, does the toolbar stop
> appearing?
>
> 5. Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete/Task Manager show a program which might be
> providing
> the toolbar?
>
> 6. This toolbar might indicate a hijackware/spyware infection. Has the
> computer always been protected by updated security programs- antivirus,
> antispyware, security suite, etc?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> When I close IE8, I am often left with an "invisible" toolbar which has

> two
>> or three textfields and two buttons--the rightmost has the label "Find

> Now".
>> This toolbar is not even one associated with IE8, I think, but closing
>> IE8
>> causes it to appear (about 1/3 of the time).
>>
>> Hmm...maybe my homepage, msn.com, is too complex?
>>
>> But that still doesn't explain the mysterious looking toolbar.
>>
>> I would welcome ideas or suggestions!
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Bill

Bill

> Thank you, Don. I'll try to disable some more add-ons.
> -Bill

Don, After more testing, I've deduced that the toolbar artifact is really
left by MS-Outlook.
I appreciate the help you've given me, please let me know if you have any
further guidance about this.
Thank you, Bill

>> Hi,
>> 1. Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons and disable any add-on you think might
>> be
>> causing this. If the problem goes away, re-enable one add-on at a time
>> until
>> the guilty party shows itself. Uninstall/reinstall the troublesome
>> add-on,
>> look for an updated version or leave it uninstalled.
>>
>> 2. If you right-click the toolbar, is there any hint as to which program
>> or
>> add-on provided it?
>>
>> 3. If you hover over or right-click programs (icons) in the System
>> Tray/Notification Area, is there a program running which might be causing
>> the toolbar to appear?
>>
>> 4. If you choose another, or blank, homepage, does the toolbar stop
>> appearing?
>>
>> 5. Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete/Task Manager show a program which might be
>> providing
>> the toolbar?
>>
>> 6. This toolbar might indicate a hijackware/spyware infection. Has the
>> computer always been protected by updated security programs- antivirus,
>> antispyware, security suite, etc?
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> When I close IE8, I am often left with an "invisible" toolbar which has

>> two
>>> or three textfields and two buttons--the rightmost has the label "Find

>> Now".
>>> This toolbar is not even one associated with IE8, I think, but closing
>>> IE8
>>> causes it to appear (about 1/3 of the time).
>>>
>>> Hmm...maybe my homepage, msn.com, is too complex?
>>>
>>> But that still doesn't explain the mysterious looking toolbar.
>>>
>>> I would welcome ideas or suggestions!
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Bill

Bill

> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Don. I'll try to disable some more add-ons.
>> -Bill

> Don, After more testing, I've deduced that the toolbar artifact is really
> left by MS-Outlook.
> I appreciate the help you've given me, please let me know if you have any
> further guidance about this.
> Thank you, Bill

Don, An interesting phenomenon. If I re-open MS-Outlook while the ghost
toolbar is on the screen
in a few seconds, it will automatically open the application and then close
it (by itself). It I wait longer
things work normally. So, the Outlook "destructor/cleanup" mechanism is
somehow not doing
what it's supposed to do... I know about C++, but not how Windows works.

Bill

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> 1. Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons and disable any add-on you think
>>> might be
>>> causing this. If the problem goes away, re-enable one add-on at a time
>>> until
>>> the guilty party shows itself. Uninstall/reinstall the troublesome
>>> add-on,
>>> look for an updated version or leave it uninstalled.
>>>
>>> 2. If you right-click the toolbar, is there any hint as to which program
>>> or
>>> add-on provided it?
>>>
>>> 3. If you hover over or right-click programs (icons) in the System
>>> Tray/Notification Area, is there a program running which might be
>>> causing
>>> the toolbar to appear?
>>>
>>> 4. If you choose another, or blank, homepage, does the toolbar stop
>>> appearing?
>>>
>>> 5. Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete/Task Manager show a program which might be
>>> providing
>>> the toolbar?
>>>
>>> 6. This toolbar might indicate a hijackware/spyware infection. Has the
>>> computer always been protected by updated security programs- antivirus,
>>> antispyware, security suite, etc?
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>>
>>> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> two
>>> Now".

Bill

> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, Don. I'll try to disable some more add-ons.
>>> -Bill

>> Don, After more testing, I've deduced that the toolbar artifact is
>> really left by MS-Outlook.
>> I appreciate the help you've given me, please let me know if you have any
>> further guidance about this.
>> Thank you, Bill

> Don, An interesting phenomenon. If I re-open MS-Outlook while the ghost
> toolbar is on the screen
> in a few seconds, it will automatically open the application and then
> close it (by itself). It I wait longer
> things work normally. So, the Outlook "destructor/cleanup" mechanism is
> somehow not doing
> what it's supposed to do... I know about C++, but not how Windows works.
>
> Bill

I may have found the culprit. Here's is a list of applications which keep
MS-Outlook open when
it's trying to close:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp

Bill

Don Varnau

Re: Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
Hi,
Looks like very useful information at
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp# Let us know which program is
causing the problem for you.

> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Bill" <Bill_NOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> Don, After more testing, I've deduced that the toolbar artifact is
> >> really left by MS-Outlook.
> >> I appreciate the help you've given me, please let me know if you have

any
> >> further guidance about this.
> >> Thank you, Bill

> > Don, An interesting phenomenon. If I re-open MS-Outlook while the ghost
> > toolbar is on the screen
> > in a few seconds, it will automatically open the application and then
> > close it (by itself). It I wait longer
> > things work normally. So, the Outlook "destructor/cleanup" mechanism is
> > somehow not doing
> > what it's supposed to do... I know about C++, but not how Windows

works.

> > Bill

> I may have found the culprit. Here's is a list of applications which keep
> MS-Outlook open when
> it's trying to close:
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp
>
> Bill

time

the

antivirus,

"Find

closing

Bill

> Hi,
> Looks like very useful information at
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp# Let us know which program is
> causing the problem for you.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Don.

I tried disabling the Com plug-ins, the default plut-ins, and most of Norton
Internet Security to no avail.
Since the problem is a "mere" annoyance, compared to a serious problem, and
has already consumed
several hours, I'm going to have to let it go for now. I will keep looking
for a solution in my spare time!

Thank you or your help!
Bill

Bill

Re: Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
Don, I thought you might be curious how my problem got solved. Someone at
microsoft.public.outlook explained to me how to open Outlook using the /safe
switch, and I didn't get the toolbar problem in that mode. That hinted at
file extensions (for one thing). I was already using SP3, but I downloaded
a low-priority update for MS-Outlook that had something to do with file
extensions--and that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again
for your generous assistance, and good luck!

Bill

>> Hi,
>> Looks like very useful information at
>> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.asp# Let us know which program is
>> causing the problem for you.
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]

> Don.
>
> I tried disabling the Com plug-ins, the default plut-ins, and most of
> Norton Internet Security to no avail.
> Since the problem is a "mere" annoyance, compared to a serious problem,
> and has already consumed
> several hours, I'm going to have to let it go for now. I will keep
> looking for a solution in my spare time!
>
> Thank you or your help!
> Bill

Don Varnau

Re: Toolbar artifact often left on screen after closing IE8
Glad you found the solution. Thanks for the update.

Don