Customize Tool Bars Puzzle

CWLee

Customize Tool Bars Puzzle

My desktop computer is running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2,
IE-8, WM-6, classic mode, dial-up.

My laptop computer is running XP Home Edition, version 2002,
SP-3, IE-8, classic mode, via wi-fi spots.

On my home computer, in IE8, if I right-click on one of the
upper toolbars I get a menu, the last item on it being
"Customize". That leads to another menu, the last item on
it being "Add or remove commands". If I hover over that
option, I then get a menu to add and remove commands - and
it works fine on my home computer.

On my laptop the "Add or remove commands" option is grayed
out, and not available. Is there a way to make it operable?

(Both computers current with updates.)

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

VanguardLH

Re: Customize Tool Bars Puzzle
CWLee wrote:

> My desktop computer is running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2,
> IE-8, WM-6, classic mode, dial-up.
>
> My laptop computer is running XP Home Edition, version 2002,
> SP-3, IE-8, classic mode, via wi-fi spots.
>
> On my home computer, in IE8, if I right-click on one of the
> upper toolbars I get a menu, the last item on it being
> "Customize". That leads to another menu, the last item on
> it being "Add or remove commands". If I hover over that
> option, I then get a menu to add and remove commands - and
> it works fine on my home computer.
>
> On my laptop the "Add or remove commands" option is grayed
> out, and not available. Is there a way to make it operable?
>
> (Both computers current with updates.)
>
> Thanks.

Might the laptop perhaps be provided to you by your company and expected
for use for company-related tasks? If so, they can push a policy that
disables customizing of the toolbars. Each time you log into their
domain, those policies get pushed. You change the policy in the local
accounts (provided you were given the login credentials) which will
stick each time you start Windows. If you are logging into the
company's domain (i.e., using the login for work), any changes you make
in the registry (providing you have an admin-level account to do so) are
lost when you login because the company will push their policies again.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/.../tweaks/10864/
CWLee

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Might the laptop perhaps be provided to you by your
> company and ...

No. It was purchased by me about 6 months ago.

Other ideas?

Thanks.

CWLee wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Might the laptop perhaps be provided to you by your company and ...

> No. It was purchased by me about 6 months ago. Other ideas?

Did you read the article to which I gave a link? Did you check if that
registry entry exists (and which blocks changes to customizing the
toolbar)? If you know how to set a policy on a disable then you have
the map on how to go in reverse.
CWLee

Re: Customize Tool Bars Puzzle

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Did you read the article to which I gave a link?

No. I'm not competent enough, or confident enough, to
explore the registry and make changes. I also interpreted
your suggestion to be contingent on my computer being
controlled somehow by a non-existent employer.

> Did you check if that
> registry entry exists (and which blocks changes to
> customizing the
> toolbar)?

No, for the reasons expressed above.

> If you know how to set a policy on a disable then you have
> the map on how to go in reverse.

I don't know how to "set a policy on a disable".

Any other suggestions - aimed at a novice rather than an
expert - appreciated.

Best regards.

CWLee wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Did you read the article to which I gave a link?

> No. I'm not competent enough, or confident enough, to
> explore the registry and make changes. I also interpreted
> your suggestion to be contingent on my computer being
> controlled somehow by a non-existent employer.
>
>> Did you check if that
>> registry entry exists (and which blocks changes to
>> customizing the
>> toolbar)?

> No, for the reasons expressed above.
>
>> If you know how to set a policy on a disable then you have
>> the map on how to go in reverse.

> I don't know how to "set a policy on a disable".
>
> Any other suggestions - aimed at a novice rather than an
> expert - appreciated.
>
> Best regards.

If you are unwilling to go into the registry (to delete the key that is
mentioned in the article), you will need to find someone more expert.
Bribe the highschool kid next door with brownies. Make sure you do an
image backup first.
CWLee

Re: Customize Tool Bars Puzzle

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> If you are unwilling to go into the registry (to delete
> the key that is
> mentioned in the article), you will need to find someone
> more expert.
> Bribe the highschool kid next door with brownies. Make
> sure you do an
> image backup first.

It seems implicit in your response that my laptop computer
came from the factory with this customize option disabled,
since no one has gone into the registry since it was
purchased new. It came with IE7, but I updated it to IE8
via the Microsoft update program. This laptop is Acer
brand, termed Aspire One. Does it seem likely to you that
such models were shipped from the factory with this option
disabled? That seems strange to me, but I've got a lot to
learn about the computer markets.

Thanks again.

I'm off to the store to buy brownies. :-)

Alan Edwards

Re: Customize Tool Bars Puzzle
Follow the advice given, if only to the point of verifying that the
value in the Registry exists and equals 1.
You cannot do any damage by just looking.
If you find the value there and don't want to go further, then report
back, although changing the value from 1 to 0 is not difficult.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:35:19 -0700, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "CWLee"

CWLee wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> If you are unwilling to go into the registry (to delete the key that
>> is mentioned in the article), you will need to find someone more
>> expert. Bribe the highschool kid next door with brownies. Make sure
>> you do an image backup first.

> It seems implicit in your response that my laptop computer came from
> the factory with this customize option disabled, since no one has
> gone into the registry since it was purchased new. It came with IE7,
> but I updated it to IE8 via the Microsoft update program. This
> laptop is Acer brand, termed Aspire One. Does it seem likely to you
> that such models were shipped from the factory with this option
> disabled? That seems strange to me, but I've got a lot to learn
> about the computer markets.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> I'm off to the store to buy brownies. :-)

"Computer came from the factory with this customize option disabled."
Not likely. The standard image prepped for the mass sales of the same
model won't have this setup. Users would be flooding tech support with
calls on the problem. More likely something you installed or malware
made the change. If you share this laptop with other users, might be
time to ensure that none of them have admin-level accounts (i.e., move
their accounts into the limited Users group). Unless in a domain where
a policy gets pushed to disable this function, it shouldn't be disabled.

If you delete the registry key but it returns (i.e., you eliminate the
problem but it returns) then start investigating what security software
is installed on your host along with any add-ons you installed for IE,
do malware scans, and bar use of that laptop by others.
CWLee

Re: Customize Tool Bars Puzzle

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> "Computer came from the factory with this customize option
> disabled."
> Not likely.

I agree, and that is part of why I'm puzzled.

> More likely something you installed or malware
> made the change.

Possible.

> If you share this laptop with other users, ...

No one else has ever had access to this computer.

> If you delete the registry key ...

Following the directions you provided in your first reply to
me in this thread, I entered the registry, and went to the
place indicated. There is no entry there termed
"NoToolbarCustomize". The only entries there are "Default",
and "NoDriveTypeAutoRun".

I then exited the registry without making any changes.

The mystery continues.

Thanks again.