Cannot upgrade to IE8

Don

Cannot upgrade to IE8
Hey gang,

This one has me stumped .

My wife's computer, is running XP Home SP3, with all updates with the
exception of IE8. It seems no matter what I try, it continues to fail to
upgrade to IE8. It is currently running IE7.
Every time I try to install IE8, it goes through the downloading updates,
then scanning for suspicious software, then starts the installation process,
and shortly after get a red x with a message that installation failed and to
restart the computer.

I have gone through the troubleshooting link that got put on my desktop
after the failed install, and still cannot get it to install.
Have tried - clean boot troubleshooting, disabling all non ms services, even
disabling " load system services".
Scanned for any virus or Malware.
Disabling anti virus and anti malware ( Avast and Spy Bot Search and
Destroy )
Running the Microsoft Fix It program to restore IE7 to it's original default
settings.
Checked for any files that could not be backed up or updated per the
advanced troubleshooting.

I have never quite had a problem such as this one. Not sure where to go from
here other than doing a format and clean install of the OS, which I really
would prefer not having to do.

I would sure appreciate any tips from anyone that perhaps has gone through
this or seen it before...

Thanks,

--
Don

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Cannot upgrade to IE8

"Don" <burnettedclothes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:NYKdnTrRhO7Gb0TXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> Disabling anti virus and anti malware ( Avast and Spy Bot Search and Destroy )

Sometimes disabling such programs doesn't work.
Try uninstalling them. This particular symptom can be caused
by a "feechur" AV apps are now providing called "link scanning".

---

Re: Cannot upgrade to IE8
environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020

=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select
"Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then
check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.
www.banthecheck.com

Don wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> This one has me stumped .
>
> My wife's computer, is running XP Home SP3, with all updates with the
> exception of IE8. It seems no matter what I try, it continues to fail to
> upgrade to IE8. It is currently running IE7.
> Every time I try to install IE8, it goes through the downloading updates,
> then scanning for suspicious software, then starts the installation
> process,
> and shortly after get a red x with a message that installation failed and
> restart the computer.
>
> I have gone through the troubleshooting link that got put on my desktop
> after the failed install, and still cannot get it to install.
> Have tried - clean boot troubleshooting, disabling all non ms services,
> even
> disabling " load system services".
> Scanned for any virus or Malware.
> Disabling anti virus and anti malware ( Avast and Spy Bot Search and
> Destroy )
> Running the Microsoft Fix It program to restore IE7 to it's original
> default
> settings.
> Checked for any files that could not be backed up or updated per the
> advanced troubleshooting.
>
> I have never quite had a problem such as this one. Not sure where to go
> from
> here other than doing a format and clean install of the OS, which I really
> would prefer not having to do.
>
> I would sure appreciate any tips from anyone that perhaps has gone through
> this or seen it before...
>

> Thanks,

Don

Re: Cannot upgrade to IE8

> "Don" <burnettedclothes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:NYKdnTrRhO7Gb0TXnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>
>> Disabling anti virus and anti malware ( Avast and Spy Bot Search and
>> Destroy )

> Sometimes disabling such programs doesn't work.
> Try uninstalling them. This particular symptom can be caused
> by a "feechur" AV apps are now providing called "link scanning".
>

> ---

Thanks Robert,

While I failed to mention it, I had already tried that as well.

--
Don

Don

Re: Cannot upgrade to IE8
Thanks for the info PA Bear,

Looking through the list of recommendations I believe I have tried all of
those when I was going through the troubleshooting.
I guess I am at the point of having to try the phone based support.

--
Don

> [...]
>> Have tried - clean boot troubleshooting, disabling all non ms services,
>> even
>> disabling " load system services".
>> Scanned for any virus or Malware.
>> Disabling anti virus and anti malware ( Avast and Spy Bot Search and
>> Destroy )
>> Running the Microsoft Fix It program to restore IE7 to it's original
>> default
>> settings.
>> Checked for any files that could not be backed up or updated per the
>> advanced troubleshooting.
>>
>> I have never quite had a problem such as this one. Not sure where to go
>> from
>> here other than doing a format and clean install of the OS, which I
>> really
>> would prefer not having to do.
>>
>> I would sure appreciate any tips from anyone that perhaps has gone

Don

Re: Cannot upgrade to IE8

While it is unrelated I guess, but kind of funny - when I was trying the
clean boot troubleshooting to see if I could get IE8 to install from a clean
boot - I got a message that due to hardware changes I was going to have to
re-activate windows XP, and had 3 days to do so. I have never changed a
piece of hardware in my wife's computer since building it for her about 3
and a half years ago...

--
Don