rant: requested lookup key was not found in any active activation
Decided to post this just so someone else having the same problem gets a
A repair install of XP+SP3 slipstreamed left IE8 unworkable: "the requested
lookup key was not found in any active activation context". Googleing I see
I must run spuninst.exe from the windows\IE8 directory as the repair
attempted to put in IE6. That worked, but left me with IE7 and the same
error message. I ran spuninst.exe from windows\IE7 this time. This still
left me with IE7 (Thanks SFC!) but I no longer had that error message.
Unfortunately, norton 360 was no longer working and it's firewall had been
left on and was keeping me out of the internet. Neither would it would
uninstall [BTW, this is not my system]. I used a 2nd computer to download a
norton removal tool and got rid of norton 360 and networking was back to
normal and I returned the computer to its owner.
Another rant: I had to find a 3rd party download for "IE8 for XP" as
attempting to download IE8 from my working x64 system only got me the x64
version of IE8 at msoft.
sorry for my rants.