Information Bar

Dwarf Designs

Information Bar
My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.

Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.

Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there telling
me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to "click here
for options" when trying to get some work done.

However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.

How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?

--
***********************************
Dwarf Designs Online

rob^_^

Re: Information Bar
Hi,

Search for Mark of the Web

"Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.
>
> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>
> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
> from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
> details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there
> telling me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to
> "click here for options" when trying to get some work done.
>
> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.
>
> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>
> --
> ***********************************
> Dwarf Designs Online
> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
> ***********************************

Saew

Re: Information Bar
What do you mean?

On 21:10 22 Sep 2009, rob^_^ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Search for Mark of the Web
>
> "Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
>> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1
>> and IE8.
>>
>> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>>
>> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted
>> this page from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" -
>> I've followed the details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar,
>> then it's still there telling me it's not active. Very
>> frustrating to continuously having to "click here for options"
>> when trying to get some work done.
>>
>> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do
>> this.
>>
>> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>>
>> --
>> ***********************************
>> Dwarf Designs Online
>> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
>> ***********************************

Don Varnau

Re: Information Bar
Hi,
You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature introduced in
[XP] SP2.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA

There are three workarounds for this:
1. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
2. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's on your hard drive, being
edited. HTA files aren't as restricted.
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the local
machine lockdown.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.
>
> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>
> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
> from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
> details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there

telling
> me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to "click

here
> for options" when trying to get some work done.
>
> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.
>
> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>
> --
> ***********************************
> Dwarf Designs Online
> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
> ***********************************

Dwarf Designs

THANKS!...
Option 3 did the trick. I've been using the standard help files and trying
to manipulate the Info Bar just in the Security area and not the Advanced
area. Worked like a charm.
(ps love that 70s look, and the bike's not bad either, lol)

> Hi,
> You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature introduced
> in
> [XP] SP2.
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
>
> There are three workarounds for this:
> 1. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
> 2. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's on your hard drive, being
> edited. HTA files aren't as restricted.
> 3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to
> run
> in files on My Computer ."
> You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the
> local
> machine lockdown.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
>> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.
>>
>> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>>
>> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
>> from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
>> details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there

> telling
>> me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to "click

> here
>> for options" when trying to get some work done.
>>
>> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.
>>
>> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>>
>> --
>> ***********************************
>> Dwarf Designs Online
>> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
>> ***********************************

Dwarf Designs

THX for the Mark...
Took me a minute, but I finally digested your WYSIWYG reply. "Search" for
"Mark of the Web" led me directly to the place with tons of info I look
forward to reviewing. THX for your lead!

> Hi,
>
> Search for Mark of the Web
>
> "Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
>> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.
>>
>> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>>
>> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
>> from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
>> details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there
>> telling me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to
>> "click here for options" when trying to get some work done.
>>
>> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.
>>
>> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>>
>> --
>> ***********************************
>> Dwarf Designs Online
>> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
>> ***********************************

Re: THANKS!...
Tip: Don't change the subject when you reply!!!

Dwarf Designs wrote:
> Option 3 did the trick. I've been using the standard help files and
> trying
> to manipulate the Info Bar just in the Security area and not the Advanced
> area. Worked like a charm.
> (ps love that 70s look, and the bike's not bad either, lol)

>> Hi,
>> You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature introduced
>> in
>> [XP] SP2.
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
>>
>> There are three workarounds for this:
>> 1. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537628.aspx
>> 2. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's on your hard drive, being
>> edited. HTA files aren't as restricted.
>> 3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to
>> run
>> in files on My Computer ."
>> You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the
>> local
>> machine lockdown.
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457150.aspx
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Dwarf Designs" <patp@dwarfdesignsonline.com> wrote in message
>>> My system in a brand new Dell Vostro 220 with Vista Home SP1 and IE8.
>>>
>>> Jumping from my beloved 98 to 21st Century is very challenging.
>>>
>>> Pages on the hard drive, the Information Bar reads "restricted this page
>>> from running running scripts or ActiveX controls" - I've followed the
>>> details as to how to get rid of the Info Bar, then it's still there
>>> telling me it's not active. Very frustrating to continuously having to
>>> "click here for options" when trying to get some work done.
>>>
>>> However, the Information Bar for my online website does not do this.
>>>
>>> How can I get it to stop when I'm working on offline pages?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ***********************************
>>> Dwarf Designs Online
>>> www.dwarfdesignsonline.com
>>> ***********************************

Dwarf Designs

Re: THANKS!...
Newbie queries: Any reason why? PLZ educate me. THX

> Tip: Don't change the subject when you reply!!!
>
> Dwarf Designs wrote:
>> Option 3 did the trick. I've been using the standard help files and
>> trying
>> to manipulate the Info Bar just in the Security area and not the Advanced
>> area. Worked like a charm.
>> (ps love that 70s look, and the bike's not bad either, lol)
>>

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature introduced
>>> in
>>> [XP] SP2.
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
>>>
>>> There are three workarounds for this:
>>> 1. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
>>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537628.aspx
>>> 2. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's on your hard drive, being
>>> edited. HTA files aren't as restricted.
>>> 3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to
>>> run
>>> in files on My Computer ."
>>> You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the
>>> local
>>> machine lockdown.
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457150.aspx
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]

Re: THANKS!...
When you change the subject, all furthe replies can tend not to thread
properly in many newsreaders (e.g., OE), leading to confusion.

Dwarf Designs wrote:
> Newbie queries: Any reason why? PLZ educate me. THX

>> Tip: Don't change the subject when you reply!!!
>>
>> Dwarf Designs wrote:
>>> Option 3 did the trick. I've been using the standard help files and
>>> trying
>>> to manipulate the Info Bar just in the Security area and not the
>>> area. Worked like a charm.
>>> (ps love that 70s look, and the bike's not bad either, lol)

Michel Merlin

Accurate message titles just need Threaded display
First I want to THANK "Dwarf Designs" who gave his message of Tue 22 Sep 2009 23:04:20 GMT an accurate title ("THANKS!..."), thus making the thread clear at a glance for anyone looking just the title list, without even opening messages, identifying at once the different parts, "Information Bar", "THX for the Mark...", "THANKS!...": What a difference with the stupid meaningless ugly useless "Re: ..." infinitely repeating on all messages a same identical (hence useless) title irrelevant to the message! This stupid "Re: " habit is an archetype of the unbelievable level of stupidity intelligent and helpful persons can achieve when drifting to a fanatic ***** herd attitude, infinitely (and authoritatively!) repeating the same errors with anger and hostility to anyone bringing any progress or any thing of thought new to them.

In case anyone would try to open their mind, get out of this mental prison and start to understand others, then please see my try to it:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd5b0f14028d62 "2. Thread's Subject vs Message's Title"

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...324db151f9b4e1 "4. Searching, Indexing - and why copy parent messages" and read with particular attention the 2 passages after "When I want to see together all the messages belonging to a same conversation" and after "Unfortunately the above often fails..." (hint: displaying the conversations *threaded* is not a problem, all email or news clients are able to do it easily, and of course most *real world users* already do it, only the *virtual* - and inexistent - users are stupid enough to fail).

Then possibly ascend to the parent message:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...2b441e62f560c6 "The Failure of Indexing - and the odd necessity of recopying parent messages".

This just recalls how and why, if using correctly the message indexing, properly displaying the conversation *threaded*, properly storing all messages in a same folder, then you NEED NO LONGER neither the badly hampering habit of stupid "Re: " so-called "Subjects", nor (when everyone has done the switch) the according other stupid habit of recopying the parent messages in your messages (to which I unfortunately still yield today in help to the impaired ones who still can't see the messages threaded).

Versailles, Thu 24 Sep 2009 00:46:10 +0200

----- Newsgroup ("news" links are clickable in Outlook Express) -----
----- Thread -----
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9b625847991a14

----- Parent Message ("news" links are clickable in OE) -----