Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?

AndyHancock

Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
How would one do that? Thanks.
Don Varnau

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
Hi,
Internet Explorer> File> Import and export, follow the prompts.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"AndyHancock" <andymhancock@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How would one do that? Thanks.

AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
Hi, Don,

It only seems to capture about half of the bookmarks, judging from the
top-level bookmark folders. Would I be correct in surmising that
going from Firefox to IE 8 is relatively rare? I haven't seen anyone
else even ask about that, so perhaps I can't expect to leverage past
experiences in this.

On Sep 20, 9:36*pm, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Internet Explorer> File> Import and export, follow the prompts.
>
> "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote
> > How would one do that? *Thanks.

Gordon

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?

"AndyHancock" <andymhancock@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How would one do that? Thanks.

What version of FF?

Don Varnau

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
Hi,
Try (Firefox 3.0.xx, in my case) In Firefox, Bookmarks> Organize Bookmarks>
Import and backup> Export HTML. That will create a bookmarks.html file.
Import that file into IE8.

Hi, Don,

It only seems to capture about half of the bookmarks, judging from the
top-level bookmark folders. Would I be correct in surmising that
going from Firefox to IE 8 is relatively rare? I haven't seen anyone
else even ask about that, so perhaps I can't expect to leverage past
experiences in this.

On Sep 20, 9:36 pm, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Internet Explorer> File> Import and export, follow the prompts.

> "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote
> > How would one do that? Thanks.

AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
I'm using FF 3.5.3. You're method works better than importing from
the bookmarks.html file in the firefox profile folder, but from the
top level, it still misses bookmark folders. I didn't yet delve into
the folders themselves to see if how complete they were.

On Sep 21, 5:24 am, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> Try (Firefox 3.0.xx, in my case) In Firefox, Bookmarks> Organize Bookmarks>
> Import and backup> Export HTML. That will create a bookmarks.html file.
> Import that file into IE8.
>
> "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It only seems to capture about half of the bookmarks, judging from the
> top-level bookmark folders. Would I be correct in surmising that
> going from Firefox to IE 8 is relatively rare? I haven't seen anyone
> else even ask about that, so perhaps I can't expect to leverage past
> experiences in this.
>
> On Sep 20, 9:36 pm, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > Internet Explorer> File> Import and export, follow the prompts.
> > "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote
> > > How would one do that? Thanks.

AndyHancock

On Sep 21, 2:34*am, "Gordon" <gordonbpar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > How would one do that? *Thanks.

> What version of FF?

FF 3.5.3.
Don Varnau

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
HI,
Sorry, I don't know what else to try.

Don

> I'm using FF 3.5.3. You're method works better than importing from
> the bookmarks.html file in the firefox profile folder, but from the
> top level, it still misses bookmark folders. I didn't yet delve into
> the folders themselves to see if how complete they were.

> On Sep 21, 5:24 am, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> > Try (Firefox 3.0.xx, in my case) In Firefox, Bookmarks> Organize

Bookmarks>
> > Import and backup> Export HTML. That will create a bookmarks.html file.
> > Import that file into IE8.

> > "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It only seems to capture about half of the bookmarks, judging from the
> > top-level bookmark folders. Would I be correct in surmising that
> > going from Firefox to IE 8 is relatively rare? I haven't seen anyone
> > else even ask about that, so perhaps I can't expect to leverage past
> > experiences in this.

> > On Sep 20, 9:36 pm, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Internet Explorer> File> Import and export, follow the prompts.
> > > "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote

Robert Aldwinckle

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:%23kAgfd2OKHA.1876@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> HI,
> Sorry, I don't know what else to try.

I think it may help to clarify what the functionality of the IE8 Import
command is.

Click on Show All here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...706351033.mspx

There seems to be a distinction between IE8 and IE7 functionality,
so that it's not even clear to me that exporting subfolders is actually
supported in IE8 but that it might have once worked in IE7.

<quotes>
5. Select the folder that you want to export your favorites from, and then click Next.

5. Select the favorites folder that you want to export. If you want all of your favorites,
select the top level (Favorites) folder, otherwise, select the individual folder. Click Next.
</quotes>

Otherwise why would they make this distinction with the second sentence?

So, if someone has somehow managed to create a bookmark.htm file
which contains references to subdirectories, what would be supposed
to happen when the Import command is used in IE8? Perhaps at most
they would all go into the chosen directory ready to be subsequently
relocated manually or perhaps the intended design would be to let users
export and import one folder at a time? <eg>

BTW have you tested this scenario? It's controversial.
Earlier I was involved with this discussion where I raised similar doubts:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-4a996330a99b

Is there another tack which might be taken on this?
E.g. can Firefox export its Favorites layout into a set of .URL files
and subdirectories? Then the IE8 tool could be avoided entirely.

Robert
---

> Don
>
> "AndyHancock" <andymhancock@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using FF 3.5.3. You're method works better than importing from
>> the bookmarks.html file in the firefox profile folder, but from the
>> top level, it still misses bookmark folders. I didn't yet delve into
>> the folders themselves to see if how complete they were.

>> On Sep 21, 5:24 am, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
>> > Try (Firefox 3.0.xx, in my case) In Firefox, Bookmarks> Organize

> Bookmarks>
>> > Import and backup> Export HTML. That will create a bookmarks.html file.
>> > Import that file into IE8.

>> > "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It only seems to capture about half of the bookmarks, judging from the
>> > top-level bookmark folders. Would I be correct in surmising that
>> > going from Firefox to IE 8 is relatively rare? I haven't seen anyone
>> > else even ask about that, so perhaps I can't expect to leverage past
>> > experiences in this.

AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
Don,

On Sep 22, 12:15*pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in messagenews:%23kAgfd2OKHA.1876@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gb l...
> > HI,
> > Sorry, I don't know what else to try.

> I think it may help to clarify what the functionality of the IE8 Import
> command is.
>
> Click on Show All here:
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...89d4d-7758-467...
>
> There seems to be a distinction between IE8 and IE7 functionality,
> so that it's not even clear to me that exporting subfolders is actually
> supported in IE8 but that it might have once worked in IE7.
>
> <quotes>
> * * * 5. *Select the folder that you want to export your favorites from, and then click Next.
>
> * * * 5. *Select the favorites folder that you want to export. Ifyou want all of your favorites,
> * * * * * * select the top level (Favorites) folder, otherwise, select the individual folder. Click Next.
> </quotes>
>
> Otherwise why would they make this distinction with the second sentence?

I don't normally use FF. I'm only test driving IE 8, and if it
requires a reverse engineering of functionality differences with
previous versions, it will be a very short test drive.

> So, if someone has somehow managed to create a bookmark.htm file
> which contains references to subdirectories, what would be supposed
> to happen when the Import command is used in IE8? * Perhaps at most
> they would all go into the chosen directory ready to be subsequently
> relocated manually or perhaps the intended design would be to let users
> export and import one folder at a time? *<eg>

As far as I know, FF stores all it's hierarchy of bookmarks in one
html file. No need to export it. Nor does it use Windows file
folders and URL "files".

> BTW have you tested this scenario? *It's controversial.
> Earlier I was involved with this discussion where I raised similar doubts:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etExplorer/thr...
>
> Is there another tack which might be taken on this?
> E.g. can Firefox export its Favorites layout into a set of .URL files
> and subdirectories? * Then the IE8 tool could be avoided entirely.

Will see this weekend (tho I doubt it).

Thanks.