Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?

AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
On Sep 21, 2:34*am, "Gordon" <gordonbpar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "AndyHancock" <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > How would one do that? *Thanks.

> What version of FF?

3.5.3.
AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
On Sep 23, 8:06*am, AndyHancock <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just a bit of clarity on my responses below, also interspersed
below...

> On Sep 22, 12:15*pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> > I think it may help to clarify what the functionality of the IE8 Import
> > command is.

> > Click on Show All here:

> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...89d4d-7758-467...

> > There seems to be a distinction between IE8 and IE7 functionality,
> > so that it's not even clear to me that exporting subfolders is actually
> > supported in IE8 but that it might have once worked in IE7.

> > <quotes>
> > * * * 5. *Select the folder that you want to export your favorites from, and then click Next.

> > * * * 5. *Select the favorites folder that you want to export. If you want all of your favorites,
> > * * * * * * select the top level (Favorites) folder, otherwise, select the individual folder. Click Next.
> > </quotes>

> > Otherwise why would they make this distinction with the second sentence?

> I don't normally use FF. *I'm only test driving IE 8, and if it
> requires a reverse engineering of functionality differences with
> previous versions, it will be a very short test drive.

I'm test driving IE because FF crashes are becoming untenable. If it
doesn't make life easier, it's not serving the purpose for which I'm
looking to switch. Also, I consider clarity on any functionality, and
functional difference with previous versions, to be Microsoft's job.
It certainly doesn't help make the switch easier. As well, it's
impractical for a user to do that reverse engineering because you need
both IE7 and IE8 at the same time. I'm not even sure it's possible to
regress back to IE7.

> > So, if someone has somehow managed to create a bookmark.htm file
> > which contains references to subdirectories, what would be supposed
> > to happen when the Import command is used in IE8? * Perhaps at most
> > they would all go into the chosen directory ready to be subsequently
> > relocated manually or perhaps the intended design would be to let users
> > export and import one folder at a time? *<eg>

> As far as I know, FF stores all it's hierarchy of bookmarks in one
> html file. *No need to export it. *Nor does it use Windows file
> folders and URL "files".

As well, IE8's import seems to pick up *some* of the hierarchy in FF's
bookmarks.html. So it doesn't lack the ability to do so. It might be
just sloppy import code. It doesn't make the switch easier to serve
as Microsoft's debugging guineau pig...
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
Poster Peter352 apparently found a workaround for what may be a related
symptom which seems to answer some of my doubts about the functionality
provided by this feature too... ; )

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-8ec293981c75

FYI

Robert
---

"AndyHancock" wrote:

> On Sep 23, 8:06 am, AndyHancock <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a bit of clarity on my responses below, also interspersed
> below...
> >
> > On Sep 22, 12:15 pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> > > I think it may help to clarify what the functionality of the IE8 Import
> > > command is.

> > > Click on Show All here:

> > >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...89d4d-7758-467...

> > > There seems to be a distinction between IE8 and IE7 functionality,
> > > so that it's not even clear to me that exporting subfolders is actually
> > > supported in IE8 but that it might have once worked in IE7.

> > > <quotes>
> > > 5. Select the folder that you want to export your favorites from, and then click Next.

> > > 5. Select the favorites folder that you want to export. If you want all of your favorites,
> > > select the top level (Favorites) folder, otherwise, select the individual folder. Click Next.
> > > </quotes>

> > > Otherwise why would they make this distinction with the second sentence?

> > I don't normally use FF. I'm only test driving IE 8, and if it
> > requires a reverse engineering of functionality differences with
> > previous versions, it will be a very short test drive.

> I'm test driving IE because FF crashes are becoming untenable. If it
> doesn't make life easier, it's not serving the purpose for which I'm
> looking to switch. Also, I consider clarity on any functionality, and
> functional difference with previous versions, to be Microsoft's job.
> It certainly doesn't help make the switch easier. As well, it's
> impractical for a user to do that reverse engineering because you need
> both IE7 and IE8 at the same time. I'm not even sure it's possible to
> regress back to IE7.
>
> > > So, if someone has somehow managed to create a bookmark.htm file
> > > which contains references to subdirectories, what would be supposed
> > > to happen when the Import command is used in IE8? Perhaps at most
> > > they would all go into the chosen directory ready to be subsequently
> > > relocated manually or perhaps the intended design would be to let users
> > > export and import one folder at a time? <eg>

> > As far as I know, FF stores all it's hierarchy of bookmarks in one
> > html file. No need to export it. Nor does it use Windows file
> > folders and URL "files".

> As well, IE8's import seems to pick up *some* of the hierarchy in FF's
> bookmarks.html. So it doesn't lack the ability to do so. It might be
> just sloppy import code. It doesn't make the switch easier to serve
> as Microsoft's debugging guineau pig...

AndyHancock

Re: Import Firefox bookmarks into IE 8 favourites?
I lost track of this thread, just picking it up again.

I think Peter352 may be talking about a different problem. He is
having problems generating an html file of bookmarks. My html file of
bookmarks is fine. It doesn't need to be generated specifically for
the purpose of export, as it is the native way in which FF stores
bookmarks. My problem is missing bookmarks and missing portions of
the bookmarks (or "favourites") tree when the hierarchy is imported
into IE. If it is due to lengthy paths in the hierarchy during the
import, it's not practical to change that. This problem of the
quality of IE's import code does not necessarily reflect the quality
of IE in general, but it does seem to me to be a rather egregious
departure from standard coding practice user-ready applications.

I'm not able to follow Peter352's "Tip". I can picture creating a
root folder, but since it is in the root, the path should be shorter
than normal. Hence I don't understand how this intentially creates
more problems with overly lengthy paths, nor why this leads to a
successful export. Since I can't follow the logic, I can't say
whether the tip contains any tidbits that could help in my import
problem.

I've stayed with FF for the time being. No crashes recently. I have
yet to notice a correlation between the type of webpages browsed and
the crashing. For a while, it seemed like a popular web forum tool
was correlated, but I consider it quite uncertain at this point.

On Oct 5, 11:40*pm, Robert Aldwinckle <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> Poster *Peter352 apparently found a workaround for what may be a related
> symptom which seems to answer some of my doubts about the functionality
> provided by this feature too... * ; )
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etExplorer/thr...
>
> FYI
>
> Robert
>
> "AndyHancock" wrote:
> > On Sep 23, 8:06 am, AndyHancock <andymhanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a bit of clarity on my responses below, also interspersed
> > below...

> > > I don't normally use FF. *I'm only test driving IE 8, and if it
> > > requires a reverse engineering of functionality differences with
> > > previous versions, it will be a very short test drive.

> > I'm test driving IE because FF crashes are becoming untenable. *If it
> > doesn't make life easier, it's not serving the purpose for which I'm
> > looking to switch. *Also, I consider clarity on any functionality, and
> > functional difference with previous versions, to be Microsoft's job.
> > It certainly doesn't help make the switch easier. *As well, it's
> > impractical for a user to do that reverse engineering because you need
> > both IE7 and IE8 at the same time. *I'm not even sure it's possible to
> > regress back to IE7.

> > > As far as I know, FF stores all it's hierarchy of bookmarks in one
> > > html file. *No need to export it. *Nor does it use Windows file
> > > folders and URL "files".

> > As well, IE8's import seems to pick up *some* of the hierarchy in FF's
> > bookmarks.html. *So it doesn't lack the ability to do so. *It mightbe
> > just sloppy import code. *It doesn't make the switch easier to serve
> > as Microsoft's debugging guineau pig...

Gordon

"AndyHancock" <andymhancock@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I lost track of this thread, just picking it up again.
>
> I think Peter352 may be talking about a different problem. He is
> having problems generating an html file of bookmarks. My html file of
> bookmarks is fine. It doesn't need to be generated specifically for
> the purpose of export, as it is the native way in which FF stores
> bookmarks.

Actually it doesn't. FF 3.x stores bookmarks in an SQLite file called
sqlite.places

On Oct 29, 8:01*am, "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "AndyHancock" <andymhancock@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I lost track of this thread, just picking it up again.
> >
> > I think Peter352 may be talking about a different problem. *He is
> > having problems generating an html file of bookmarks. *My html file of
> > bookmarks is fine. *It doesn't need to be generated specifically for
> > the purpose of export, as it is the native way in which FF stores
> > bookmarks.

> Actually it doesn't. FF 3.x stores bookmarks in an SQLite file called
> sqlite.places

Thanks for that clarification. It's an interesting change in the way
they do things. So it is the exported file that defaults to the name
bookmarks.html. I double checked the suggestion to export that file
from FF and import it into IE. Bookmarks are still dropped. Today,
however, only one root folder of bookmarks is dropped. Checking the
bookmarks.html file, that root folder doesn't contain many levels in
its hierarchy. The URLs and bookmark titles in that hierarchy are not
long either. Maybe the problem will eventually be solved with further
Windows Updates. If I run into another spate of FF crashes, I shall
re-investigate.