Strange Pop-up since installing IE8

cranheim

Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
I installed IE8 about a week ago, and it works great. I do, however, get a
strange pop-up with a heading "Message from Webpage" with the text "You are
invited to receive a free Mail Account at (yourname)@37.com". Does anyone
know where this is coming from? I have to run with my pop-up blocker one
step up from block all pop-ups, because I have programs that need pop-ups to
work correctly. I have not been able to predict when this pop-up will occur.
Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Charles Ranheim.

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

cranheim wrote:
> I installed IE8 about a week ago, and it works great. I do, however, get a
> strange pop-up with a heading "Message from Webpage" with the text "You
> are
> invited to receive a free Mail Account at (yourname)@37.com". Does anyone
> know where this is coming from? I have to run with my pop-up blocker one
> step up from block all pop-ups, because I have programs that need pop-ups
> work correctly. I have not been able to predict when this pop-up will
> occur.
> Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Charles Ranheim.

cranheim

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
I am running WindowsXP Home Edition w/SP3. I also run McAfee VirusScan v.
13.3, build 13.3.127, Dat 5747 dated 9/20/09.
My Mcafee Firewall is version 10.3, build 10.3.00. My Mcafee software was
installed via CD and is upgraded every year. The updates are automatic. I
also run Spybot S&D v 1.6.0 every time there is an update.
The first time I saw this pop-up was the day I installed IE8 a week ago. I
generally get one or two of these pop-ups a day. I went from IE6 to IE8.
Charles Ranheim

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> cranheim wrote:
>> I installed IE8 about a week ago, and it works great. I do, however, get
>> strange pop-up with a heading "Message from Webpage" with the text "You
>> are
>> invited to receive a free Mail Account at (yourname)@37.com". Does anyone
>> know where this is coming from? I have to run with my pop-up blocker one
>> step up from block all pop-ups, because I have programs that need pop-ups
>> work correctly. I have not been able to predict when this pop-up will
>> occur.
>> Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Charles Ranheim.

cranheim

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
This is the second time I am responding. The first one seemed to disappear.
OS: WindowsXP Home Edition w/SP3. All priority updates installed
Virus Program: McAfee VirusScan v.13.3, Dat 5747 dated 9/20/09
Mcafee Firewall v.10.3
Spyware: Spybot S&D v.1.6.0 is run every time there is an update
The McAfee software is not a trial version. It was installed via CD, and is
upgraded every year from McAfee.
This Pop-up showed up the first time the day I installed IE8 (From IE6). It
comes up one to three times a day.

Charles Ranheim

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> cranheim wrote:
>> I installed IE8 about a week ago, and it works great. I do, however, get
>> strange pop-up with a heading "Message from Webpage" with the text "You
>> are
>> invited to receive a free Mail Account at (yourname)@37.com". Does anyone
>> know where this is coming from? I have to run with my pop-up blocker one
>> step up from block all pop-ups, because I have programs that need pop-ups
>> work correctly. I have not been able to predict when this pop-up will
>> occur.
>> Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Charles Ranheim.

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
What's the name of the McAfee application? Have you had this same
application (e.g., McAfee VirusScan Plus) installed since day one?

Was a McAfee or Norton free-trial preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

Hasn't Spybot ever prompted you to upgrade? v1.6.2 was released in Feb-09
and has been available for quite some time.

Did you disable (1) McAfee anti-virus, (2) McAfee firewall, (3a) Spybot
SDHelper and (3b) Tea Timer and then (4) enable the Windows Firewall prior
to installing IE8?

PS: Unless you didn't download/install IE8 from a MS page or via Windows
Update, installing IE8 did not cause this behavior.

> What's the name of the McAfee application? Have you had this same
> application (e.g., McAfee VirusScan Plus) installed since day one?

I have had McAfee VirusScan Plus installed for years. I installed it from a
CD, and download the latest upgrade from McAfee every year.

> Was a McAfee or Norton free-trial preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it?

No.

> Hasn't Spybot ever prompted you to upgrade? v1.6.2 was released in Feb-09
> and has been available for quite some time.

I check for available updates every week. I just checked again this morning.
The main screen says v1.6. Under Help, it says v1.6.0.30

> Did you disable (1) McAfee anti-virus, (2) McAfee firewall, (3a) Spybot
> SDHelper and (3b) Tea Timer and then (4) enable the Windows Firewall prior
> to installing IE8?

Yes, I downloaded IE8 from the MS site, disabled the scan programs, and
re-inabled the scans

> PS: Unless you didn't download/install IE8 from a MS page or via Windows
> Update, installing IE8 did not cause this behavior.

Please understand I am not trying to blame IE8 for this popup. I only
mentioned this because it started appearing right after I installed IE8. I
thought there might be something different in the way IE8 handles pop-ups,
or perhaps there is some new option I failed to see. I am sill completely
satisfied with IE8. It really is more stable than my previous IE6. I tried
IE7 when it first came out, but had so many slow-downs and hangs, I finally
had to go back to IE6 after working directly with MS. I tried everything
they suggested to resolve the problem and they finally recommended I return
to IE6 and wait for the new release of IE, which I did.
Thanks for your time. Charles Ranheim

> cranheim wrote:
>> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition w/SP3. I also run McAfee VirusScan v.
>> 13.3, build 13.3.127, Dat 5747 dated 9/20/09.
>> My Mcafee Firewall is version 10.3, build 10.3.00. My Mcafee software was
>> installed via CD and is upgraded every year. The updates are automatic. I
>> also run Spybot S&D v 1.6.0 every time there is an update.
>> The first time I saw this pop-up was the day I installed IE8 a week ago.
>> generally get one or two of these pop-ups a day. I went from IE6 to IE8.

>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
[To avoid confusion, please don't post your replies inline with the quote of
my post. Just answer by number. Thanks.]

1. If you disable the McAfee pop-up blocker and make sure IE's pop-up
blocker is enabled, does the behavior persist, Charles?

2. Spybot v1.6.2 can be download via one of the mirrors here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

I'd recommend that you (a) de-Immunize Spybot (IMPORTANT!), (b) uninstall
your current Spybot version & reboot, (c) download/install the newest
version, (d) do not enable Tea Timer, (e) update Spybot, (e) Immunize, and
then (f) run a full scan before you procede any further.

[If the pop-up has gone away now, fine but please answer the rest of my
questions.]

3. I asked a very specific question in my last reply...

>> Did you disable (1) McAfee anti-virus, (2) McAfee firewall, (3a) Spybot
>> SDHelper and (3b) Tea Timer and then (4) enable the Windows Firewall
>> prior
>> to installing IE8?

....but you gave me a very unspecific/vague answer. Did you do all 4 steps
prior to installing IE8?

4. Did you install IE8 via Windows Update or did you install it manually?

5. Have you ever run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool prior to
upgrading to a new version of VirusScan Plus, Charles?

6. Is Automatic Updates enabled and is the computer currently fully-patched
at Windows Update?
--
~PA Bear

cranheim wrote:
>> What's the name of the McAfee application? Have you had this same
>> application (e.g., McAfee VirusScan Plus) installed since day one?

> I have had McAfee VirusScan Plus installed for years. I installed it from
> CD, and download the latest upgrade from McAfee every year.
>
>> Was a McAfee or Norton free-trial preinstalled on the computer when you
>> bought it?

> No.
>
>> Hasn't Spybot ever prompted you to upgrade? v1.6.2 was released in
>> Feb-09
>> and has been available for quite some time.

> I check for available updates every week. I just checked again this
> morning.
> The main screen says v1.6. Under Help, it says v1.6.0.30
>>
>> Did you disable (1) McAfee anti-virus, (2) McAfee firewall, (3a) Spybot
>> SDHelper and (3b) Tea Timer and then (4) enable the Windows Firewall
>> prior
>> to installing IE8?

> Yes, I downloaded IE8 from the MS site, disabled the scan programs, and
> re-inabled the scans
>
>> PS: Unless you didn't download/install IE8 from a MS page or via Windows
>> Update, installing IE8 did not cause this behavior.

> Please understand I am not trying to blame IE8 for this popup. I only
> mentioned this because it started appearing right after I installed IE8. I
> thought there might be something different in the way IE8 handles pop-ups,
> or perhaps there is some new option I failed to see. I am sill completely
> satisfied with IE8. It really is more stable than my previous IE6. I tried
> IE7 when it first came out, but had so many slow-downs and hangs, I
> finally
> had to go back to IE6 after working directly with MS. I tried everything
> they suggested to resolve the problem and they finally recommended I
> return
> to IE6 and wait for the new release of IE, which I did.
> Thanks for your time.
>
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> I am running WindowsXP Home Edition w/SP3. I also run McAfee VirusScan
>>> v.
>>> 13.3, build 13.3.127, Dat 5747 dated 9/20/09.
>>> My Mcafee Firewall is version 10.3, build 10.3.00. My Mcafee software
>>> was
>>> installed via CD and is upgraded every year. The updates are automatic.
>>> also run Spybot S&D v 1.6.0 every time there is an update.
>>> The first time I saw this pop-up was the day I installed IE8 a week ago.
>>> generally get one or two of these pop-ups a day. I went from IE6 to IE8.

cranheim

Re: Strange Pop-up since installing IE8
In item 2a how do I "de-Immunize Spybot "? I have not heard of this before.

> [...]

>>> Update, installing IE8 did not cause this behavior.

>> Please understand I am not trying to blame IE8 for this popup. I only
>> mentioned this because it started appearing right after I installed IE8.
>> thought there might be something different in the way IE8 handles
>> pop-ups,
>> or perhaps there is some new option I failed to see. I am sill completely
>> satisfied with IE8. It really is more stable than my previous IE6. I
>> tried
>> IE7 when it first came out, but had so many slow-downs and hangs, I
>> finally
>> had to go back to IE6 after working directly with MS. I tried everything
>> they suggested to resolve the problem and they finally recommended I
>> return
>> to IE6 and wait for the new release of IE, which I did.

Ask here:

Spybot Support Forum
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=4

QED: If you don't know how to de-Immunize, do you Immunize in the first
place (e.g., after updating)?