IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing

Ed

IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
I have reinstalled IE8, reset all settings a few times, scanned the whole
computer with AVG and later Avast but the hanging problem keep coming back.
(I am running XP Pro SP3)

The conditions: When a link takes you to a new page in a new window or in
the text edit area of an existing IE window.

First, the typing would slow down, meaning some of the letters I typed would
be very slow to show up in the text area and some of the letters would be
missing. CPU ramp up could be the reason of the typing. Then, it gets worse
when nothing is moving and 100% CPU is consumed by

i) ieplorer.exe, ii) lsass.exe iii) explorer.exe

by then I couldn't get out and sometimes had to cut the power cus killing
the process just never came back.

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed,
uninstalled, and/or reinstalled IE8?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Ed wrote:
> I have reinstalled IE8, reset all settings a few times, scanned the whole
> computer with AVG and later Avast but the hanging problem keep coming
> back.
> (I am running XP Pro SP3)
>
> The conditions: When a link takes you to a new page in a new window or in
> the text edit area of an existing IE window.
>
> First, the typing would slow down, meaning some of the letters I typed
> would
> be very slow to show up in the text area and some of the letters would be
> missing. CPU ramp up could be the reason of the typing. Then, it gets
> worse
> when nothing is moving and 100% CPU is consumed by
>
> i) ieplorer.exe, ii) lsass.exe iii) explorer.exe
>
> by then I couldn't get out and sometimes had to cut the power cus killing
> the process just never came back.

Ed

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

I disabled most add-ons using Managed Add-ons except Adobe flash player. The
right click don't have a Start without Add-ons option but in my case, it is
fine. IE8 start up is usually fast - it takes about 2-3 secs to load msn.com.
If you turn Skype add-on on, it 'll slow things down.. presumbly because it
is trying to search through the text for phone numbers to call.. Adobe flash
player 10 was known to be a problem running in IE8 (I called MS to confirm
this) but there is a way to fix it if you search through the forum on Adobe.
You run a custom uninstaller and reinstall it would get rid of the hanging
problem from flash player. But this problem is easy to identify since your
IE/system would only hang if you get to a page with Flash Video e.g. Adobe 's
home page.

I reset both the Advanced Settings and the IE settings a few times.

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your ..

I have AVG 8, Zonealarm now. I had scanned with AVG, Avast and Hijackthis
but found nothing. I did disable AVG linkscanner as I noticed it picked up
activities when new window started. I usually have AVG and Zonealarm
installed and running as soon as I have windows installed and connect to the
net.

> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?

Nope.. they are pests and difficult to get rid of.. I reinstalled my whole
OS just couple months ago.. and installed IE8 official release pretty early
on.

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
replies inline. Thank you.]

1. Why was it necessary to reinstall IE8?

2. If the right-click contect menu doesn't include "Start without Add-ons,"
something's very wrong with your computer or IE8 was never installed
properly.

3. Did you disable AVG & ZA and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing/uninstalling/reinstalling IE8?

4a. Why was it necessary to reinstall Windows? Did you do a Repair Install
or did you format your HDD and do a clean install?

4b. If you did Repair Install and IE7 or IE8 had been installed, did you
uninstall IE7 and/or IE8 prior to doing the Repair Install?

>> First, the typing would slow down, meaning some of the letters I typed
>> would
>> be very slow to show up in the text area and some of the letters would be
>> missing. CPU ramp up could be the reason of the typing. Then, it gets
>> worse when nothing is moving and 100% CPU is consumed by
>>
>> i) ieplorer.exe, ii) lsass.exe iii) explorer.exe
>>
>> by then I couldn't get out and sometimes had to cut the power cus killing
>> the process just never came back.

The above sounds like symptoms of a hijackware infection.

Ed wrote:
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> I disabled most add-ons using Managed Add-ons except Adobe flash player.
> The
> right click don't have a Start without Add-ons option but in my case, it
> is
> fine. IE8 start up is usually fast - it takes about 2-3 secs to load
> msn.com. If you turn Skype add-on on, it 'll slow things down.. presumbly
> because it is trying to search through the text for phone numbers to
> call..
> Adobe flash player 10 was known to be a problem running in IE8 (I called
> MS
> to confirm this) but there is a way to fix it if you search through the
> forum on Adobe. You run a custom uninstaller and reinstall it would get
> rid
> of the hanging problem from flash player. But this problem is easy to
> identify since your IE/system would only hang if you get to a page with
> Flash Video e.g. Adobe 's home page.

> I reset both the Advanced Settings and the IE settings a few times.
>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your ..

> I have AVG 8, Zonealarm now. I had scanned with AVG, Avast and Hijackthis
> but found nothing. I did disable AVG linkscanner as I noticed it picked up
> activities when new window started. I usually have AVG and Zonealarm
> installed and running as soon as I have windows installed and connect to
> the
> net.
>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?

> Nope.. they are pests and difficult to get rid of.. I reinstalled my whole
> OS just couple months ago.. and installed IE8 official release pretty
> early
> on.

<paste>
> Ed wrote:
>> I have reinstalled IE8, reset all settings a few times, scanned the
>> whole
>> computer with AVG and later Avast but the hanging problem keep coming
>> back.
>> (I am running XP Pro SP3)
>>
>> The conditions: When a link takes you to a new page in a new window or in
>> the text edit area of an existing IE window.
>>
>> First, the typing would slow down, meaning some of the letters I typed
>> would
>> be very slow to show up in the text area and some of the letters would be
>> missing. CPU ramp up could be the reason of the typing. Then, it gets
>> worse
>> when nothing is moving and 100% CPU is consumed by
>>
>> i) ieplorer.exe, ii) lsass.exe iii) explorer.exe
>>
>> by then I couldn't get out and sometimes had to cut the power cus killing
>> the process just never came back.

Ed

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing

Well, I found it difficult to read through replies of replies without
editing them up first. Perhaps it has to do with the limited ability of the
reader (without proper highlight etc) And it is difficult to reply on a long
message and not able to reference them immediately.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
> replies inline. Thank you.]
>
> 1. Why was it necessary to reinstall IE8?

Necessary? no.. it was just desperate measure since resetting didn't work so
next to try was reinstall

> 2. If the right-click contect menu doesn't include "Start without Add-ons,"
> something's very wrong with your computer or IE8 was never installed
> properly.

I am running XP Pro SP3.. the context menu doesn't have start without
Add-ons.. Like I said, it ain't a big deal since I disabled all but one of
the addon.

> 3. Did you disable AVG & ZA and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing/uninstalling/reinstalling IE8?

I am not sure since I have done it over couple months ago and had
reinstalled IE8 couple times also. But at the beginning, right after I
installed XP and SP3, the only thing I had was Windows Firewall. Usually AVG
and ZA don't post any problem during or after install.

> 4a. Why was it necessary to reinstall Windows? Did you do a Repair Install
> or did you format your HDD and do a clean install?

My HDD was dead so I have a new one put in and new install is therefore
required.

> 4b. If you did Repair Install and IE7 or IE8 had been installed, did you
> uninstall IE7 and/or IE8 prior to doing the Repair Install?

I believe I went straight from the IE6 to IE8 since as soon as you do
windows update, it download IE8 unless you opt out.

I found one suspect in Hijackthis, codeprae.dll that would start with
explorer.exe.. I tried to find out what it is but no reference so I removed
it just in case.

I also disabled Linkscanner in AVG as I explained before it tends to spike
up CPU at times with new window or new page.

For the last couple days or so, the typing seems to be back to normal and no
explorer peak CPU so far. I hope that is the end of the problem.

> [...]

> >> whole
> >> computer with AVG and later Avast but the hanging problem keep coming
> >> back.
> >> (I am running XP Pro SP3)
> >>
> >> The conditions: When a link takes you to a new page in a new window or in
> >> the text edit area of an existing IE window.
> >>
> >> First, the typing would slow down, meaning some of the letters I typed
> >> would
> >> be very slow to show up in the text area and some of the letters would be
> >> missing. CPU ramp up could be the reason of the typing. Then, it gets
> >> worse
> >> when nothing is moving and 100% CPU is consumed by
> >>
> >> i) ieplorer.exe, ii) lsass.exe iii) explorer.exe
> >>
> >> by then I couldn't get out and sometimes had to cut the power cus killing
> >> the process just never came back.

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
You'd find accessing and replying to posts in this newsgroup via your
default newsreader much less cumbersome. See
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

In no certain order:

> [Reinstalling IE8] was just desperate measure since resetting didn't work
> so next to try was reinstall

Your OS (Windows) is the problem, not IE.

> I also disabled Linkscanner in AVG...

If you're going to stick with AVG and run IE8 or IE7, you will want to do a
Custom (vs. a default) install of AVG and opt-out of installing Linkscanner,
Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar, and/or any of the email
scanning components.

> I found one suspect in Hijackthis, codeprae.dll that would start with
> explorer.exe.. I tried to find out what it is but no reference so I
> removed
> it just in case

You have a TDSS.Trojan infection (which usually brings a lot of "friends"
along with it). AVG cannot detect & remove these infectors nor will having
HJT "fix" that "codeprae.dll" entry resolve the problem.

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**You will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

www.banthecheck.com

Ed wrote:
> [...]

>>> of the hanging problem from flash player. But this problem is easy to
>>> identify since your IE/system would only hang if you get to a page with
>>> Flash Video e.g. Adobe 's home page.

>>> I reset both the Advanced Settings and the IE settings a few times.

>>> I have AVG 8, Zonealarm now. I had scanned with AVG, Avast and
>>> Hijackthis
>>> but found nothing. I did disable AVG linkscanner as I noticed it picked
>>> up
>>> activities when new window started. I usually have AVG and Zonealarm
>>> installed and running as soon as I have windows installed and connect to
>>> the
>>> net.

>>> Nope.. they are pests and difficult to get rid of.. I reinstalled my
>>> whole
>>> OS just couple months ago.. and installed IE8 official release pretty
>>> on.

>> <paste>

Ed

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
Thanks for the advice. I am running the scans as we speak.

Is the MSRT a reasonable malware removal program? I had some slowdown
problem with its early version so I stopped using it.. and I don't have any
antispyware program. Any antispyware or malware detection/removal program you
would recommend?

AVG email scanner isolates some malware in junk mail for me so I am keeping
it running for the moment. As I said before, the linkscanner was disabled
and I also disabled (or not install) any tool bar.

After I am done with the scans, I 'll report back when the scans found
something interesting.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > I believe I went straight from the IE6 to IE8 since as soon as you do
> > windows update, it download IE8 unless you opt out.
> >
> > I found one suspect in Hijackthis, codeprae.dll that would start with
> > explorer.exe.. I tried to find out what it is but no reference so I
> > removed
> > it just in case.
> >
> > I also disabled Linkscanner in AVG as I explained before it tends to spike
> > up CPU at times with new window or new page.
> >
> > For the last couple days or so, the typing seems to be back to normal and
> > no
> > explorer peak CPU so far. I hope that is the end of the problem.

> >> The above sounds like symptoms of a hijackware infection.

> >> <paste>

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
> Is the MSRT a reasonable malware removal program?

The MSRT only checks for a specific set of Bad Guys, it is NOT an
all-purpose antispyware/antimalware application. The MSRT is updated
once-a-month. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

When downloaded via Automatic Updates, the MSRT just runs and "goes away"
(at least if it doesn't find anything) so I'd very much doubt it caused any
slowdowns.

> AVG email scanner isolates some malware in junk mail for me...

So what? See...

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

I would NOT recommend having any of the AVG Add-ons installed if you're
running IE8.

> After I am done with the scans, I 'll report back when the scans found
> something interesting.

As you wish, but you'd probably best proceed to Step #3, Ed.

Ed wrote:
> [...]

>>> required.

>>> I believe I went straight from the IE6 to IE8 since as soon as you do
>>> windows update, it download IE8 unless you opt out.
>>>
>>> I found one suspect in Hijackthis, codeprae.dll that would start with
>>> explorer.exe.. I tried to find out what it is but no reference so I
>>> removed
>>> it just in case.
>>>
>>> I also disabled Linkscanner in AVG as I explained before it tends to
>>> spike
>>> up CPU at times with new window or new page.
>>>
>>> For the last couple days or so, the typing seems to be back to normal
>>> and
>>> no
>>> explorer peak CPU so far. I hope that is the end of the problem.

Ed

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
Avast and AVG both have antispyware component and the scans both came out
negative. If the Avast and AVG coverage of malware scans are more
comprehensive and current, why do we need MSRT that comes out once a month?

I also ran the MSRT and OneCare full scans and they are also negative.

I also ran Hijackthis (full scan) and found one suspicious codeprae.dll and
removed it as a precaution. Like I said before, I kept the add-ons and tool
bar to a minimum (Adobe Flash player even though that had some problem
earlier on)

I just turned off email scanner.(I use Windows Live mail). hopefully, I
won't regret that later..

Currently, the symptoms go away

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> >> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> >> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> **You will need to seek expert assistance in
> >> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> >> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> >> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
> >>
> >> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE8 hangs system, lsass & explorer peak CPU, slow typing
You've got 2 AV apps installed & loading at boot?

Ed, scan cannot detect and/or remove all traces of the BadGuys & their
"drive-by" installed friends. If you're satisfied with merely the symptoms
"going away," so be it. If it were my PC, I'd get a second opinion from an
expert in such matters. TDSS.Trojan infections are not child's play.
There's a very good chance that your computer's still at-risk.