Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com

Seth M. Ryan

Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using google.
So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still can't
connect, this problem has been going on for months.
Seth M. Ryan

RE: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
Another thing, I don't care if this might be the wrong section to post this
in, I really need help, along with thousands of other people having this
problem who have recieved no help at all from microsoft.

"Seth M. Ryan" wrote:

> I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using google.
> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still can't
> connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Don Varnau

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
Hi,
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2 ,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?

You probably have, but...
Have you
1. Cleared the Temporary Internet Files, History and *all* cookies?
2. Reset IE settings?
3. Started IE with add-ons disabled?
4. Tried to connect from Safe Mode with Networking? (To rule out a
third-party program.)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Seth M. Ryan" <Seth M. Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using

google.
> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still

can't
> connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Bob

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
Are you also having the problem of being redirected to websites?

"Seth M. Ryan" <Seth M. Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using google.
> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still
> can't
> connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista x64 SP2) when posting to this newsgroup.

Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & find that
it's still enabled?

If you're running WinXP (not Vista!!), can you reach
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

If you connect directly to the modem (not the router or wirelessly), does
the behavior persist?
www.banthecheck.com

Seth M. Ryan wrote:
> I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using
> google.
> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still
> can't connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Seth M. Ryan

RE: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
I am on Vista Service Pack 1 IE 7, but that's not the problem, because it
doesn't work on Mozilla either, OR on the main computer hosting the
connection.
I have tried in safe mode with networking, didn't work, and I even restored
my computer to factory settings and still nothing.
"Seth M. Ryan" wrote:

> I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using google.
> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still can't
> connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Seth M. Ryan

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
IE Version 7 Windows Vista Service Pack 1 32-bit
Automatic updates is enabled but I can't connect to the update server or
anything that has to do with microsoft.
no anti-virus program is currently installed, I removed Norton trying to fix
the problem and it still persists, even directly hooked to the router/modem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista x64 SP2) when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & find that
> it's still enabled?
>
> If you're running WinXP (not Vista!!), can you reach
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> If you connect directly to the modem (not the router or wirelessly), does
> the behavior persist?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Seth M. Ryan wrote:
> > I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using
> > google.
> > So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
> > WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
> > computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still
> > can't connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
What Norton application was installed? Was your subscription still current
when you uninstalled it? Was another Norton application ever installed on
the computer?

What error(s) do you get when you try to run Windows Update manually via the
Start menu?

Seth M. Ryan wrote:
> IE Version 7 Windows Vista Service Pack 1 32-bit
> Automatic updates is enabled but I can't connect to the update server or
> anything that has to do with microsoft.
> no anti-virus program is currently installed, I removed Norton trying to
> fix
> the problem and it still persists, even directly hooked to the
> router/modem.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
>> Vista x64 SP2) when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & find
>> that it's still enabled?
>>
>> If you're running WinXP (not Vista!!), can you reach
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> If you connect directly to the modem (not the router or wirelessly), does
>> the behavior persist?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Seth M. Ryan wrote:
>>> I have tried dozens of methods from multiple posts i've found using
>>> google.
>>> So far nothing has worked. I'm on a wireless connection, using a NETGEAR
>>> WNDR3300 router with firmware version 1.0.14, I have access to the main
>>> computer hosting the connection, the firewalls are disabled and I still
>>> can't connect, this problem has been going on for months.

Seth M. Ryan

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
I used the Norton Removal Tool from the Symantec site, and CCleaner to remove
the registries it left behind, the Subscription is no longer valid, and the
windows update tool just keeps saying checking for update, for an hour now.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What Norton application was installed? Was your subscription still current
> when you uninstalled it? Was another Norton application ever installed on
> the computer?
>
> What error(s) do you get when you try to run Windows Update manually via the
> Start menu?
>

> Seth M. Ryan wrote:
> > IE Version 7 Windows Vista Service Pack 1 32-bit
> > Automatic updates is enabled but I can't connect to the update server or
> > anything that has to do with microsoft.
> > no anti-virus program is currently installed, I removed Norton trying to
> > fix
> > the problem and it still persists, even directly hooked to the
> > router/modem.

Re: Can't Connect to download.microsoft.com
I asked 3 very specific questions in the first paragraph of my last post.
You did not answer any of them.

Good luck.