IE script error preventing printing?

tryingtolearn

IE script error preventing printing?
I am running Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
I will start at the beginning. I installed an AIO printer & it worked fine.
I did a print job on 8/19 fine. I did a scan job which I then sent in an
email on 8/25---also fine.
I have my M/S updates set to check for updates & let me decide which to
install. I used to have it set to automatic for important updates but then
when IE8 installed months & months ago, it caused problems with my winmail
so I uninstalled it & went back to IE7. Everything went back to normal. That
is when I changed the way my updates work. I have to keep hiding IE8 because
it keeps "popping" up (wish it wouldn't). On 8/26 there were 6 or 7 updates
I chose to install...none of which were listed as IE8. While the installs
were processing a minor crisis happened elsewhere in my home & I went to
handle it. When I came back I saw that SOMEHOW that darned IE8 was getting
installed. I quickly clicked on the cancel option. In hindsight I wish I'd
let it install & then done an uninstall but... Since that time I can't get
anything to print or scan. I have uninstalled the printer & reinstalled,
done test pages fine, updated the mfr. drivers for it, done test pages fine.
Whether I'm trying to print a webpage, a personal file or something in my
winmail, I now get a message which says:

IE Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line: 1829
Char: 1
Error: unspecified error
Code: 0
Do you want to continue running script on this page?
Options of yes or no are given.
It doesn't matter which option I choose....I still can't print. When it's my
winmail & I hit the print button, my winmail freezes..locked up tight,
nothing in the winmail functions. Escape doesn't do anything. I have to use
Task Mgr. to end the process. Because of the dates these things happened on,
I tend to believe it has something to do with the IE7, IE8 thing. How can I
get my IE7 back working correctly? I would also love/need to have the
printer be able to work . Can you please help me? I'm not computer techno
lingo literate so abbreviations & nicknames for things don't make much sense
to me yet. But I am....trying to learn....

Bruce Hagen

Re: IE script error preventing printing?
Give this a shot. It can't hurt.

Go to Start | Run and type, (or copy/paste):

regsvr32 ole32.dll

Press Enter.

Reboot & try.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"tryingtolearn" <tryingtolearn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
> I will start at the beginning. I installed an AIO printer & it worked
> fine.
> I did a print job on 8/19 fine. I did a scan job which I then sent in an
> email on 8/25---also fine.
> I have my M/S updates set to check for updates & let me decide which to
> install. I used to have it set to automatic for important updates but then
> when IE8 installed months & months ago, it caused problems with my winmail
> so I uninstalled it & went back to IE7. Everything went back to normal.
> That
> is when I changed the way my updates work. I have to keep hiding IE8
> because
> it keeps "popping" up (wish it wouldn't). On 8/26 there were 6 or 7
> updates
> I chose to install...none of which were listed as IE8. While the installs
> were processing a minor crisis happened elsewhere in my home & I went to
> handle it. When I came back I saw that SOMEHOW that darned IE8 was getting
> installed. I quickly clicked on the cancel option. In hindsight I wish I'd
> let it install & then done an uninstall but... Since that time I can't get
> anything to print or scan. I have uninstalled the printer & reinstalled,
> done test pages fine, updated the mfr. drivers for it, done test pages
> fine.
> Whether I'm trying to print a webpage, a personal file or something in my
> winmail, I now get a message which says:
>
> IE Script Error
> An error has occurred in the script on this page
> Line: 1829
> Char: 1
> Error: unspecified error
> Code: 0
> Do you want to continue running script on this page?
> Options of yes or no are given.
> It doesn't matter which option I choose....I still can't print. When it's
> my winmail & I hit the print button, my winmail freezes..locked up tight,
> nothing in the winmail functions. Escape doesn't do anything. I have to
> use Task Mgr. to end the process. Because of the dates these things
> happened on, I tend to believe it has something to do with the IE7, IE8
> thing. How can I get my IE7 back working correctly? I would also love/need
> to have the printer be able to work . Can you please help me? I'm not
> computer techno lingo literate so abbreviations & nicknames for things
> don't make much sense to me yet. But I am....trying to learn....

Re: IE script error preventing printing?
See Bruce's reply.

To permanently "hide" IE8:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Run Windows Update manually via the Start menu | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and
hide* it ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

NB: SP2 will NOT be offered if any Important updates (including IE8) haven't
been installed or hidden.

=====================================
*How to hide updates in Vista: Click View available updates | Right-click on
the update you wish to hide | Click Hide Update | Confirm the UAC (User
Account Control) if appropriate.

To restore/unhide updates in Vista: Start | Control Panel | System And
Maintenance (If you are using Classic View, skip this step) | Windows Update
| Restore Hidden Updates | Find and select the update you wish to install |
Restore. You can now reselect it and install through the normal process.
www.banthecheck.com

tryingtolearn wrote:
> I am running Vista Home Basic 32 bit.
> I will start at the beginning. I installed an AIO printer & it worked
> fine.
> I did a print job on 8/19 fine. I did a scan job which I then sent in an
> email on 8/25---also fine.
> I have my M/S updates set to check for updates & let me decide which to
> install. I used to have it set to automatic for important updates but then
> when IE8 installed months & months ago, it caused problems with my winmail
> so I uninstalled it & went back to IE7. Everything went back to normal.
> That
> is when I changed the way my updates work. I have to keep hiding IE8
> because
> it keeps "popping" up (wish it wouldn't). On 8/26 there were 6 or 7
> updates
> I chose to install...none of which were listed as IE8. While the installs
> were processing a minor crisis happened elsewhere in my home & I went to
> handle it. When I came back I saw that SOMEHOW that darned IE8 was getting
> installed. I quickly clicked on the cancel option. In hindsight I wish I'd
> let it install & then done an uninstall but... Since that time I can't get
> anything to print or scan. I have uninstalled the printer & reinstalled,
> done test pages fine, updated the mfr. drivers for it, done test pages
> fine.
> Whether I'm trying to print a webpage, a personal file or something in my
> winmail, I now get a message which says:
>
> IE Script Error
> An error has occurred in the script on this page
> Line: 1829
> Char: 1
> Error: unspecified error
> Code: 0
> Do you want to continue running script on this page?
> Options of yes or no are given.
> It doesn't matter which option I choose....I still can't print. When it's
> my
> winmail & I hit the print button, my winmail freezes..locked up tight,
> nothing in the winmail functions. Escape doesn't do anything. I have to
> use
> Task Mgr. to end the process. Because of the dates these things happened
> on,
> I tend to believe it has something to do with the IE7, IE8 thing. How can
> get my IE7 back working correctly? I would also love/need to have the
> printer be able to work . Can you please help me? I'm not computer techno
> lingo literate so abbreviations & nicknames for things don't make much
> sense
> to me yet. But I am....trying to learn....

tryingtolearn

Re: IE script error preventing printing?
Bruce and PA Bear,
I tried Bruce's suggestion but it didn't work. This is what I got:
RegSvr32
The module "ole32.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed
with error code 0x80070005.
For more information about this problem, search online using the error code
as a search term.

I did google the error code but there are MANY results for it with links to
sites to supposedly fix the problem. As you gentelmen are the experts, I
thought I'd better trust to your judgement & expertise for the "correct"
link or site to get directions to fix it as I don't even understand what
it's trying to tell me. OR..... should I try to do a system restore back to
8/25 when everything was working correctly????? (Directions for doing
that?)
And DRAT, PA Bear, since my printer still won't print, I can't even print
out your directions of how to hide IE8 updates permanently! Nor will I be
able to print out any further directions of how to fix the original problem.
Drag out the old pen & paper again... sigh... that's what we have thumbs for
right? ;-)