Paging file ???

Bob Newman

Paging file ???
I have just started using IE8 and am trying to install the Last Pass add-on
as I loved it with Firefox. I am getting an error message "The paging file
is too small for this operation to complete" when trying to install Last
Pass. Help please.

Thanks... Bob

VanguardLH

Re: Paging file ???
Bob Newman wrote:

> I have just started using IE8 and am trying to install the Last Pass add-on
> as I loved it with Firefox. I am getting an error message "The paging file
> is too small for this operation to complete" when trying to install Last
> Pass. Help please.

Not an issue with IE. This is an error message spewed out by the
product's installer. Is this the add-on you are asking about?

for whom their site is at:

http://www.lastpass.com

Have you yet cleared the TIF folder for the web browser? Since this is
a question about a specific add-on, users in their forums might have
experience with this error issued by their installation.

http://forums.lastpass.com/

Did you try a prior version? Could be there is a bug in their latest
version.

I've never cared for any scheme that has me saving my login credentials
somewhere online with some 3rd party. I'd rather memorize a simple to
remember algorithm that I can use at every site that I visit but which
generates a password that is unique at every site. No software to
install, no creating an online account, and no logging into that account
to save and retrieve my passwords. Works no matter which web browser or
other application that I use for logging into a site. If LastPass
worked WITHOUT having to login (i.e., it used a locally cached and
encrypted copy of my passwords) then the convenience feature of
auto-fill for login fields would be handy. Their "feature" of having to
login to save and retrieve passwords from their server obviates the
convenience of auto-fill for login credentials. If you use their
features, yeah, you'll have one login/master password to remember but
what if you are somewhere that you cannot install their software, like
at library hosts, Internet cafes, work, and so on? Poof, there goes all
of its conveniences, and you won't know what were those strong passwords
that it used at those login sites.

Re: Paging file ???
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

What size is your Paging file?

Have you sought assistance here? => http://forums.lastpass.com

Bob Newman wrote:
> I have just started using IE8 and am trying to install the Last Pass
> add-on
> as I loved it with Firefox. I am getting an error message "The paging
> file
> is too small for this operation to complete" when trying to install Last
> Pass. Help please.
>
> Thanks... Bob

Bob Newman

Re: Paging file ???
XP SP3. I have no idea what a Paging file is, that's why I posted this
note.

Bob

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What size is your Paging file?
>
> Have you sought assistance here? => http://forums.lastpass.com
>

> Bob Newman wrote:
>> I have just started using IE8 and am trying to install the Last Pass
>> add-on
>> as I loved it with Firefox. I am getting an error message "The paging
>> file
>> is too small for this operation to complete" when trying to install Last
>> Pass. Help please.
>>
>> Thanks... Bob

skeeter

Re: Paging file ???

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
> XP SP3. I have no idea what a Paging file is, that's why I posted this
> note.
>
> Bob

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> What size is your Paging file?
>>
>> Have you sought assistance here? => http://forums.lastpass.com
>>

>> Bob Newman wrote:
>>> I have just started using IE8 and am trying to install the Last Pass
>>> add-on
>>> as I loved it with Firefox. I am getting an error message "The paging
>>> file
>>> is too small for this operation to complete" when trying to install Last
>>> Pass. Help please.
>>>
>>> Thanks... Bob

swap file. windows writes to disk what it feels it needs in expanded memory.
i have mine set to windows managed. to get to yours,...hmmm its been awhile
since i've run xp...system properties, advanced, performance, virtual
memory. thats your page file.

VanguardLH

Re: Paging file ???
skeeter wrote:

> Bob Newman wrote ...
>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote ...

>>> What size is your Paging file?
>>> Have you sought assistance here? => http://forums.lastpass.com

>> XP SP3. I have no idea what a Paging file is, that's why I posted this
>> note.

> swap file. windows writes to disk what it feels it needs in expanded memory.
> i have mine set to windows managed. to get to yours,...hmmm its been awhile
> since i've run xp...system properties, advanced, performance, virtual
> memory. thats your page file.

That's what you and I would assume is meant by "page file". Could be
the TIF folder for the web browser. The error is issued by the
installer so the definition is whatever the program author used for what
they meant to say but did so very poorly. That's why contacting support
for the software would make sure what was said was correct terminology
outside the realm of that software.

If it is indeed the Windows pagefile to which the error refers, the OP
has too much running in background or foreground which has consumed up
not only physical memory but pagefile space, too. The OP needs more
physical memory or a larger pagefile. However, rebooting into Windows'
safe mode would probably eliminate a lot of startup programs to allow
the OP to install LastPass.
Bob Newman

Re: Paging file ???

"skeeter" <skeeterdoo@myway.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> XP SP3. I have no idea what a Paging file is, that's why I posted this
>> note.
>>
>> Bob

>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> What size is your Paging file?
>>>
>>> Have you sought assistance here? => http://forums.lastpass.com

> swap file. windows writes to disk what it feels it needs in expanded
> memory. i have mine set to windows managed. to get to yours,...hmmm its
> been awhile since i've run xp...system properties, advanced, performance,
> virtual memory. thats your page file.

I increased the size and that did it. Now, hopefully one last minor
problem. LastPass installed itself on it's own toolbar adding another line
on the browser, in turn giving me less usable space. In Firefox the
LastPass icon was located on the same line as the URL and search area. How
can I get it there with IE8?

Thanks... Bob

VanguardLH

Re: Paging file ???
Bob Newman wrote:

> LastPass installed itself on it's own toolbar adding another line on
> the browser, in turn giving me less usable space. In Firefox the
> LastPass icon was located on the same line as the URL and search
> area. How can I get it there with IE8?

For security reasons, the top row will always show the Address Bar. You
can hide the search bar in that row. You cannot add other toolbars to
the address bar row. The new toolbar also cannot share the tabs row.
So unless you display the menu bar row which can share with other
toolbars, the new toolbar occupies its own row. Do you have the menu
bar shown?
Bob Newman

Re: Paging file ???

> Bob Newman wrote:
>
>> LastPass installed itself on it's own toolbar adding another line on
>> the browser, in turn giving me less usable space. In Firefox the
>> LastPass icon was located on the same line as the URL and search
>> area. How can I get it there with IE8?

> For security reasons, the top row will always show the Address Bar. You
> can hide the search bar in that row. You cannot add other toolbars to
> the address bar row. The new toolbar also cannot share the tabs row.
> So unless you display the menu bar row which can share with other
> toolbars, the new toolbar occupies its own row. Do you have the menu
> bar shown?

Yes. How do I move something to it?

Bob

Re: Paging file ???
Unlock the toolbar then drag it by the || header to where you want it, then
Lock the toolbar.

NB: Many third-party toolbars (e.g., Google) have their own, very stubborn
idea of where they should and will be located. If you have multiple
toolbars installed, this could drive you crazy.