IE8 64-bit

Steve H.

IE8 64-bit
I have a Dell Ispiron 518 dual CPU 2.66 2.67 with 6gb ram running Vista
Home premium 64. I was wondering why IE8 64bit can not be the default
browser. Is it simply because Adobe doesn't have a 64 bit flash player? Or
some other reason. Also, maybe slightly off topic. Why DOESN'T adobe have a
64bit flash player?

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 64-bit
Hi,
1. The only reason I've seen posted for 32-bit IE8 being the default is that
64-bit plugins have not been developed (in many cases) and sites wouldn't
work properly.

2. Windows and 64-bit Flash Player - when?
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...yer10/faq.html
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve H." <vze245by@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Ispiron 518 dual CPU 2.66 2.67 with 6gb ram running Vista
> Home premium 64. I was wondering why IE8 64bit can not be the default
> browser. Is it simply because Adobe doesn't have a 64 bit flash player? Or
> some other reason. Also, maybe slightly off topic. Why DOESN'T adobe have

> 64bit flash player?

Re: IE8 64-bit
[[Forwarded to Win64bit General via crosspost]]

Steve H. wrote:
> I have a Dell Ispiron 518 dual CPU 2.66 2.67 with 6gb ram running Vista
> Home premium 64. I was wondering why IE8 64bit can not be the default
> browser. Is it simply because Adobe doesn't have a 64 bit flash player? Or
> some other reason. Also, maybe slightly off topic. Why DOESN'T adobe have
> 64bit flash player?

Dominic Payer

Re: IE8 64-bit
IE8 64-bit can be the default browser but since there is no 64-bit Flash
plug-in sites using Flash will not display correctly.

There will be a 64-bit Flash sometime. See
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html. It is low priority for Adobe
because browsers gain little from converting to 64-bit so they are
concentrating efforts on the applications which gain most.

On 13/09/2009 18:04, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [[Forwarded to Win64bit General via crosspost]]
>
> Steve H. wrote:
>> I have a Dell Ispiron 518 dual CPU 2.66 2.67 with 6gb ram running Vista
>> Home premium 64. I was wondering why IE8 64bit can not be the default
>> browser. Is it simply because Adobe doesn't have a 64 bit flash
>> player? Or
>> some other reason. Also, maybe slightly off topic. Why DOESN'T adobe
>> have a
>> 64bit flash player?

Jim

Re: IE8 64-bit
MS can't even be arsed to make 64bit Silverlight so don't expect Flash, well
ever. But no flash is good thing. If there was an open in IE32 plugin for
Youtube links I'd be all set.

Jim Wood

Re: IE8 64-bit
Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running Vista
64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback. Can
someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can give
it a try. Thanks.

"Jim" wrote:

> MS can't even be arsed to make 64bit Silverlight so don't expect Flash, well
> ever. But no flash is good thing. If there was an open in IE32 plugin for
> Youtube links I'd be all set.

Jeff Gaines

Re: IE8 64-bit
On 03/10/2009 in message
<FBA335B9-0BF3-4119-AAE4-E6AA7093F780@microsoft.com> Jim Wood wrote:

>Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running
>Vista
>64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback. Can
>someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can
>give
>it a try. Thanks.

You may be running Vista 64 but if Flash works then you're running IE8 32
bit. Try Flash sites with 64 bit IE.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
Jim Wood

Re: IE8 64-bit
Thanks, Jeff,

I understand now. Evidently not relevant to my current operation and
surfing experience (dude!); I'll stick with what's working and depend on you
clever fellows to prompt a fix by the time I get there.

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 03/10/2009 in message
> <FBA335B9-0BF3-4119-AAE4-E6AA7093F780@microsoft.com> Jim Wood wrote:
>
> >Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running
> >Vista
> >64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback. Can
> >someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can
> >give
> >it a try. Thanks.

> You may be running Vista 64 but if Flash works then you're running IE8 32
> bit. Try Flash sites with 64 bit IE.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

R. C. White

Re: IE8 64-bit
Hi, Jim.

If Flash is working for you, then click Help | About Internet Explorer. If
it doesn't SAY 64-bit edition, then you are running 32-bit IE, even if you
are running 64-bit Windows - whatever version of IE (6, 7 or 8) or of
Windows (WinXP, Vista or Win7).

And if you want Adobe's statement on the subject, just read their TechNote:
Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jim Wood" <JimWood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could someone explain the symptom of this failure, please? I'm running
> Vista
> 64 and IE8 and, as far as I know, have no problem with Flash playback.
> Can
> someone reference a Website where this does NOT work for them and I can
> give
> it a try. Thanks.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> MS can't even be arsed to make 64bit Silverlight so don't expect Flash,
>> well
>> ever. But no flash is good thing. If there was an open in IE32 plugin
>> for
>> Youtube links I'd be all set.

Jim Wood

Re: IE8 64-bit
Thanks, R.C.,

Yes, I'm evidently running the 32-bit edition of IE8. The 64-bit must
have some advantages, but IE is so much quicker under Vista 64 on this
computer than I've ever experienced before, that I'm as happy as the
proverbial clam as-is.
Thanks to you and all the other guys who provide all the good help and
tips to us novices.

Jim