Password unable to regain prompting

KG Old Wolf

Password unable to regain prompting
This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy issue....

Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
still no joy.

VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW. Go
to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either. Have
gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store the PW
just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked, to work
again.

We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and its
presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
doesn't bother to prompt me again.

This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
unsatisfactory results.

Does anyone have any idea where else to look?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: Password unable to regain prompting
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when
posting to this newsgroup.

How did you "repair" Windows Live Mail?

Were you running IE7 or IE8 prior to the Repair Install of WinXP?

If the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

KG Old Wolf wrote:
> This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy
> issue....
>
> Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
> IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
> then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
> still no joy.
>
> VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.
> Go
> to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.
> Have gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store
> the PW just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked,
> work again.
>
> We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and
> its
> presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
> doesn't bother to prompt me again.
>
> This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
> level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
> unsatisfactory results.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where else to look?

Don Varnau

Re: Password unable to regain prompting
Hi,
Have you turned off AutoComplete, deleted all stored passwords then
re-enabled AutoComplete?

Plan B...
Install and run IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html Use IE Passview
to clear stored data for the troublesome sites.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"KG Old Wolf" <KGOldWolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy

issue....

> Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
> IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
> then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
> still no joy.
>
> VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.

Go
> to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.

Have
> gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store the

PW
> just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked, to work
> again.
>
> We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and

its
> presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
> doesn't bother to prompt me again.
>
> This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
> level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
> unsatisfactory results.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where else to look?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

KG Old Wolf

Re: Password unable to regain prompting
I believe these will answer your questions:

* Windows XP Pro SP3
* IE8
* Windows "repair" per request of Level 2 - standard approach; insert
Windows
XP CD & chose "R" option to repair
* IE8 had been functioning perfectly for months prior to Live Mail issue.
Repair of
Live Mail led immediately to IE8 AutoFill PW issue
* PC is maintained at Current RevLevel for ALL OS & APPS - Auto Update in
use
* AVG 8.5 AV suite installed - AV signatures current & updated daily
* NO free trail versions of software installed. System was rebuilt
cleanly approx.
1 year and functioned without problems of any kind

PLUS:
- Tests have been run in "safe mode with networking"
- AVG suite was deinstalled and tests run, failed, and then AVG
reinstalled cleanly
- Test accounts were established AND the same problem happened!!! New URL
PW were prompted but the prior, existing problem URLs manifested the
same
issue - meaning they populated the USERID but would not store the PW
and did
not prompt to store it
- Tried all permutations of IE6 & IE8 options meaning:
AutoFill off then on - verified by looking at Registry entires
Deleted Registry entries relative to Intelliforms entries
Cleared SSL Cache

HERE'S THE POINT:
Even when all vestiges of stored PW are removed be it in SPW or STORAGE1
folders, THE USER ID for certain URLs STILL GET POPULATED - even though Level
2s assure me the Registry contents are deleted.

The point is, there is OBVIOUSLY some other place sourcing the USERID data
#AND# the presence of that data populating the USERID for the web site causes
IE (6 and 8) to think "I already have that PW" so IE doesn't prompt to save
it. In database parlance, it is a "deadly embrace" and no one seems to know
where else to look.

Don Varnue (replied below) suggested a website product "IE PASSVIEW". That
didn't work either BUT - BUT - it had information in the release notes that
is very helpful. It points out that there is a "Credentials" file stored on
my "C" drive in Docs & Settings...... I accessed that file but it is
encrypted. I am VERY tempted to append an extension onto it and test IE8
without the presence of the Credentials file (my thought is it may force IE8
into believing it is working with a "clean" install)

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ken

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when
> posting to this newsgroup.

> How did you "repair" Windows Live Mail?
>
> Were you running IE7 or IE8 prior to the Repair Install of WinXP?
>
> If the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> KG Old Wolf wrote:
> > This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy
> > issue....
> >
> > Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
> > IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
> > then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
> > still no joy.
> >
> > VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.
> > Go
> > to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.
> > Have gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store
> > the PW just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked,
> > work again.
> >
> > We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and
> > its
> > presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
> > doesn't bother to prompt me again.
> >
> > This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
> > level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
> > unsatisfactory results.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where else to look?

KG Old Wolf

Re: Password unable to regain prompting
Hi Don - thanks for your idea!

I went to the site and downloaded the software. It ran but failed to find
any PW. There is one established in the Registry in an Intelliforms
sub-folder. So, something is not quite right here. (Now THAT's a surprise!)

However, I read the release notes and they confirm what I suspected (and the
level 2s were unwilling to accept). USERID and PW information is not stored
in just the Registry alone.

I am convinced there is an out-of-synch issue between the Credentials file
and the Registry contents. New URLs prompt and validly store new PW, those
sites I previously had working do not (I think IE feels it already has the PW
stored and so it doesn't prompt me again).

PAPA Bear also responded to my inquiry and I provided a lot of additional
diagnostic data to him.

THANK YOU for your efforts to help---

Ken

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Have you turned off AutoComplete, deleted all stored passwords then
> re-enabled AutoComplete?
>
> Plan B...
> Install and run IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html Use IE Passview
> to clear stored data for the troublesome sites.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "KG Old Wolf" <KGOldWolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy

> issue....
> >
> > Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
> > IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
> > then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
> > still no joy.
> >
> > VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.

> Go
> > to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.

> Have
> > gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store the

> PW
> > just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked, to work
> > again.
> >
> > We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and

> its
> > presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
> > doesn't bother to prompt me again.
> >
> > This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
> > level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
> > unsatisfactory results.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where else to look?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ken

KG Old Wolf

Re: Password unable to regain prompting -- Windows Live MAIL repair
PA BEAR -

I misread your question. We did repair BOTH Windows and LIVE MAIL. LIVE
MAIL's repoar caused the IE problem. Here's how LIVE MAIL was repaired.

Microsoft Level 1 tech had me download the WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP Utiility
executable. It presented a list of applications and all entries with Windows
Live in the title were selected and deleted.

Thanks for your help,
Ken

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> How did you "repair" Windows Live Mail?
>
> Were you running IE7 or IE8 prior to the Repair Install of WinXP?
>
> If the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> KG Old Wolf wrote:
> > This has stumped several level 2s at Microsoft... it is not an easy
> > issue....
> >
> > Windows Live Mail had to be repaired and in the process I lost AutoFill in
> > IE8. Went through ALL of the drills... Inetnet Options - AutoFill off and
> > then on, etc. etc. Level 2s had me repair Windows XP and reset to IE6 -
> > still no joy.
> >
> > VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.
> > Go
> > to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.
> > Have gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites store
> > the PW just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked,
> > work again.
> >
> > We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and
> > its
> > presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so it
> > doesn't bother to prompt me again.
> >
> > This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
> > level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
> > unsatisfactory results.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where else to look?

Re: Password unable to regain prompting
Was IE8 or IE7 installed prior to doing the Repair Install (of Windows)?
[yes/no]

Prior to the Repair Install, which was installed first, IE8 or SP3?

*After* the Repair Install, which was installed first, IE8 or SP3?

Was AVG Anti-Virus running in the background and was the AVG Firewall
enabled when you *originally* installed IE8 and/or SP3? [yes/no]

Was AVG Anti-Virus running in the background and was the AVG Firewall
enabled when you installed IE8 and/or SP3 *after doing the Repair Install* ?
[yes/no]
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

KG Old Wolf wrote:
<paste>
> PA BEAR -
>
> I misread your question. We did repair BOTH Windows and LIVE MAIL. LIVE
> MAIL's repoar caused the IE problem. Here's how LIVE MAIL was repaired.
>
> Microsoft Level 1 tech had me download the WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP
> Utiility
> executable. It presented a list of applications and all entries with
> Windows Live in the title were selected and deleted.

</paste>
> [...]
>>>
>>> VERY WEIRD - here's why. I go to new sites and get prompted to save PW.
>>> Go
>>> to a site I previously had the PW and no prompt but no AutoFill either.
>>> Have gone into "Intelliforms" and delected the entries. "New" sites
>>> store
>>> the PW just fine but we cannot get the prior AutoFill sites that worked,
>>> work again.
>>>
>>> We even cleaned out PreFetch. The USER ID data is stored somewhere and
>>> its
>>> presence causes the PW prompt to think it already has the PW stored so
>>> it
>>> doesn't bother to prompt me again.
>>>
>>> This one is REALLY tough - we've wasted over 15 hours to no avail. The
>>> level 2s are now just looping through the same scripts getting the same
>>> unsatisfactory results.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea where else to look?

1) Orignal install sequence was XP, IE8, SP3

(Then Windows Live was then installed
months of incident-free operation
then Windows Live removed using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
then re-installed cleanly causing loss of IE8 AutoFill functionality

2) REPAIR sequence was XP, IE8, SP3

AVG suite was running in background for both installs

Best regards,
Ken

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > without the presence of the Credentials file (my thought is it may force
> > IE8
> > into believing it is working with a "clean" install)
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> How did you "repair" Windows Live Mail?
> >>
> >> Were you running IE7 or IE8 prior to the Repair Install of WinXP?
> >>
> >> Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you

=> About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

=> How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version
of Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Did the support tech have you (1) uninstall SP3 & reboot and then (2)
uninstall IE8 & reboot (3) /prior to/ doing the Repair Install of WinXP?

> AVG suite was running in background for both installs

Not good!

KG Old Wolf wrote:
> [...]

>>> prompt
>>> to save it. In database parlance, it is a "deadly embrace" and no one
>>> seems to know where else to look.
>>>
>>> Don Varnue (replied below) suggested a website product "IE PASSVIEW".
>>> That
>>> didn't work either BUT - BUT - it had information in the release notes
>>> that
>>> is very helpful. It points out that there is a "Credentials" file
>>> stored
>>> on
>>> my "C" drive in Docs & Settings...... I accessed that file but it is
>>> encrypted. I am VERY tempted to append an extension onto it and test
>>> IE8
>>> without the presence of the Credentials file (my thought is it may force
>>> IE8
>>> into believing it is working with a "clean" install)

SP3 was never uninstalled before taking any reconstructive actions.

IE8 was uninstalled to no avail despite numerous tests. The tech then had
me insert the XP SP2 CD and run "repair". That brought me back to SP2 and
IE6.

Current status is IE8, SP3, and all known patches and.... "AutoFill"
malfunctioning for previously working web sites. I do get prompted for
saving passwords for all new sites I visit but I must manually enter PW for
all sites that I had "AutoFilled" prior to the LIVE MAIL unistall.

Microsoft Tech Support said they would "ask" their supervisor if I could
talk with the IE8 development team! They said there are "no Level 3s" at
Microsoft!!! I am not slamming Microsoft; I recognize that this is beyond
the scope of their scripts and the abilities of the people attempting to help
me. However, after 15 hours, I have given up and turned to this forum.

Thanks,
Ken