Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8

lesviator

Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8
I have IE8 installed in three different computers. The software functions
normally in all of them, but there is a minor glitch.

When I click on the star icon (top left) to open the FAVORITES list, once
the list is open and I try to navigate up and down my favorites' folders,
subfolders and, eventually, the favorites' webapages, the movement of the
cursor is jerky, jumpy and imprecise. It is difficult sometimes (especially
in smaller laptop screens) to pinpoint the website I want to open, such is
the imprecision of the cursor movement. Again, this is happening in IE8 in
three different computers, using different types of mice, from cordless to
corded to touchpad. Otherwise, the cursor flows fluidly and normally over the
webpages themselves, once they're open: it's the favorites list that's jerky.
Navigating through the web is no problem, the software functions normally.

I have called Microsoft's free tech support for IE8, and they've told me
that this is normal and that the favorites list for IE8 was actually designed
to function like that -- Jerky. Can this really be the case?
Don Varnau

Re: Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8
Hi,
I don't think this is normal and I've seen very few reports of this or a
similar problem.

1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

2.. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party
program
(something which would affect Internet Explorer) as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"lesviator" <lesviator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have IE8 installed in three different computers. The software functions
> normally in all of them, but there is a minor glitch.
>
> When I click on the star icon (top left) to open the FAVORITES list, once
> the list is open and I try to navigate up and down my favorites' folders,
> subfolders and, eventually, the favorites' webapages, the movement of the
> cursor is jerky, jumpy and imprecise. It is difficult sometimes

(especially
> in smaller laptop screens) to pinpoint the website I want to open, such is
> the imprecision of the cursor movement. Again, this is happening in IE8 in
> three different computers, using different types of mice, from cordless to
> corded to touchpad. Otherwise, the cursor flows fluidly and normally over

the
> webpages themselves, once they're open: it's the favorites list that's

jerky.
> Navigating through the web is no problem, the software functions normally.
>
> I have called Microsoft's free tech support for IE8, and they've told me
> that this is normal and that the favorites list for IE8 was actually

designed
> to function like that -- Jerky. Can this really be the case?

Warren

Re: Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8
I also experience this jumpy movement of the cursor on favorites in IE8. It
is interesting that this seems to occur moreso when IE8 is first opened.
After being opened for a short time, the cursor no longer demonstrates this
odd behavior, or at the very most does so only minimally. It also occurs
with no add ons.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8

"lesviator" <lesviator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90881907-F014-4774-94EA-AAD18CC39F68@microsoft.com...
>I have IE8 installed in three different computers. The software functions
> normally in all of them, but there is a minor glitch.

With which OS?

> When I click on the star icon (top left) to open the FAVORITES list, once
> the list is open and I try to navigate up and down my favorites' folders,
> subfolders and, eventually, the favorites' webapages, the movement of the
> cursor is jerky, jumpy and imprecise. It is difficult sometimes (especially
> in smaller laptop screens) to pinpoint the website I want to open, such is
> the imprecision of the cursor movement. Again, this is happening in IE8 in
> three different computers, using different types of mice, from cordless to
> corded to touchpad.

Are you expecting the folder to open by hovering over it?
FWIW that only happens for me on XP if I am dragging a link to it.
Then I would agree those pauses and the expansion of the subfolders
can get a bit erratic.

> Otherwise, the cursor flows fluidly and normally over the
> webpages themselves, once they're open: it's the favorites list that's jerky.
> Navigating through the web is no problem, the software functions normally.
>
> I have called Microsoft's free tech support for IE8, and they've told me
> that this is normal and that the favorites list for IE8 was actually designed
> to function like that -- Jerky. Can this really be the case?

Probably. E.g. there is probably a sound associated with the selection
of a favorite so item selection would have to work more like a tick, tick, tick
than something smoother. Also, note the tick, tick, tick effect in the scrolling
of the list as you hover the mouse pointer at the bottom of the list when you're
dragging a link.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

lesviator

Re: Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8
Mine are Windows XP Home Edition SP3 in two of my computers, and XP Media
Center SP3 in another. All three PCs exhibit the same problem.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "lesviator" <lesviator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90881907-F014-4774-94EA-AAD18CC39F68@microsoft.com...
> >I have IE8 installed in three different computers. The software functions
> > normally in all of them, but there is a minor glitch.

> With which OS?
>

> > When I click on the star icon (top left) to open the FAVORITES list, once
> > the list is open and I try to navigate up and down my favorites' folders,
> > subfolders and, eventually, the favorites' webapages, the movement of the
> > cursor is jerky, jumpy and imprecise. It is difficult sometimes (especially
> > in smaller laptop screens) to pinpoint the website I want to open, such is
> > the imprecision of the cursor movement. Again, this is happening in IE8 in
> > three different computers, using different types of mice, from cordless to
> > corded to touchpad.

> Are you expecting the folder to open by hovering over it?
> FWIW that only happens for me on XP if I am dragging a link to it.
> Then I would agree those pauses and the expansion of the subfolders
> can get a bit erratic.
>

> > Otherwise, the cursor flows fluidly and normally over the
> > webpages themselves, once they're open: it's the favorites list that's jerky.
> > Navigating through the web is no problem, the software functions normally.
> >
> > I have called Microsoft's free tech support for IE8, and they've told me
> > that this is normal and that the favorites list for IE8 was actually designed
> > to function like that -- Jerky. Can this really be the case?

> Probably. E.g. there is probably a sound associated with the selection
> of a favorite so item selection would have to work more like a tick, tick, tick
> than something smoother. Also, note the tick, tick, tick effect in the scrolling
> of the list as you hover the mouse pointer at the bottom of the list when you're
> dragging a link.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

lesviator

Re: Jumpy movement of cursor on favorites list in IE8
Thank you.

I tried your solutions. Disabling the add-ons didn't change anything. The
second set of solutions (3rd-party programs) is enormously confusing to
follow on Microsoft's website, and my OS is XP (not Vista,) and the browser
is IE8, not IE7. Still I was able to implement it, and it didn't smooth out
the cursor movement on the favorites list either. I guess I'll have to live
with it until the next browser or OS comes along.