Tried all ways to get IE8 to work

annaonri

Tried all ways to get IE8 to work
I was moving a shortcut which was right beside the Internet Explorer 8
shortcut on the quick launch and the icon disappeared, I assumed that it must
have gone into the IE application somehow. I installed and reinstalled.First
It went back to IE7 and worked so I reinstalled 8 again and it went back to
not working then I reset Internet Explorer to no avail, the Internet Explorer
with no add-ons does not work either. Then I tried to go back to 7 and I get
the message that it cannot install because of a newer version. I have got
Windowsxp and service pack 3. I unpacked IE8 to a folder on the desktop and
Iexplore will work from there but not the one in program files. How can this
be fixed? Thank you
Leonard Grey

Re: Tried all ways to get IE8 to work
Your initial assumption was incorrect and you've messed around with
Windows so much that you might need a clean install. First try this, and
let's hope it works:

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Note: If you installed SP 3 /after/ you first installed IE 8, you will
need to uninstall SP 3 /first/ before you can remove IE 8.

With any luck, this will restore your copy of Windows to a working
version of IE 7. If IE 7 is not working, uninstall it:

"How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

The proviso about SP 3 applies.

With any luck, this will return your copy of Windows to a working
version of IE 6.

Once you are /sure/ that your computer is working properly, you can
upgrade to IE 8.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

annaonri wrote:
> I was moving a shortcut which was right beside the Internet Explorer 8
> shortcut on the quick launch and the icon disappeared, I assumed that it must
> have gone into the IE application somehow. I installed and reinstalled.First
> It went back to IE7 and worked so I reinstalled 8 again and it went back to
> not working then I reset Internet Explorer to no avail, the Internet Explorer
> with no add-ons does not work either. Then I tried to go back to 7 and I get
> the message that it cannot install because of a newer version. I have got
> Windowsxp and service pack 3. I unpacked IE8 to a folder on the desktop and
> Iexplore will work from there but not the one in program files. How can this
> be fixed? Thank you

annaonri

Re: Tried all ways to get IE8 to work
The decision to uninstall was not based on the assumption but on the fact
that IE8 did not work after that incident, IE8 worked before I moved the
other icon but when I clicked on IE8 a few seconds later it would not work. I
tried a system restore first and that had no effect, I don't know why the
icon would just disappear and where it went to.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Your initial assumption was incorrect and you've messed around with
> Windows so much that you might need a clean install. First try this, and
> let's hope it works:
>
> "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> Note: If you installed SP 3 /after/ you first installed IE 8, you will
> need to uninstall SP 3 /first/ before you can remove IE 8.
>
> With any luck, this will restore your copy of Windows to a working
> version of IE 7. If IE 7 is not working, uninstall it:
>
> "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>
> The proviso about SP 3 applies.
>
> With any luck, this will return your copy of Windows to a working
> version of IE 6.
>
> Once you are /sure/ that your computer is working properly, you can
> upgrade to IE 8.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> annaonri wrote:
> > I was moving a shortcut which was right beside the Internet Explorer 8
> > shortcut on the quick launch and the icon disappeared, I assumed that it must
> > have gone into the IE application somehow. I installed and reinstalled.First
> > It went back to IE7 and worked so I reinstalled 8 again and it went back to
> > not working then I reset Internet Explorer to no avail, the Internet Explorer
> > with no add-ons does not work either. Then I tried to go back to 7 and I get
> > the message that it cannot install because of a newer version. I have got
> > Windowsxp and service pack 3. I unpacked IE8 to a folder on the desktop and
> > Iexplore will work from there but not the one in program files. How can this
> > be fixed? Thank you

Re: Tried all ways to get IE8 to work
Asked/Answered in WinXP General w/crosspost to IE General:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bd4138c56d52c5

If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:
www.banthecheck.com