IE8 swallows <br/> tag before a list element

schlang

IE8 swallows <br/> tag before a list element
Hi, if I want to add some space before a list element, two following
Try this sample html in IE8 and in Firefox, you will notice that the
IE8 will only show one <br/> tag:

Firefox shows two line breaks.

Is it a bug? A feature? Can it be solved?
Cheers!
Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 swallows <br/> tag before a list element

"schlang" <liedrig@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi, if I want to add some space before a list element, two following
> Try this sample html in IE8 and in Firefox, you will notice that the
> IE8 will only show one <br/> tag:

> Firefox shows two line breaks.
>

> Is it a bug? A feature? Can it be solved?

See this existing Thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4353761a00dfe0

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Cheers!

C A Upsdell

schlang wrote:
> Hi, if I want to add some space before a list element, two following
> Try this sample html in IE8 and in Firefox, you will notice that the
> IE8 will only show one <br/> tag:

> Firefox shows two line breaks.
>

> Is it a bug? A feature? Can it be solved?

Multiple BR tags have long been problematic: different browsers have
done different things in the past. If you want two empty lines, it is
safer to put a &nbsp; between the BR tags to make sure the browser does
what you want.

Another issue is that BR is supposed to force a line break, but when you
use two BR tags, what you really are doing is trying to introduce a
larger vertical gap, and for this you should really be using CSS instead.

schlang

Re: IE8 swallows <br/> tag before a list element
On 9 Sep., 17:05, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
wrote:

> Multiple BR tags have long been problematic: *different browsers have
> done different things in the past. *If you want two empty lines, it is
> safer to put a &nbsp; between the BR tags to make sure the browser does
> what you want.
>
> Another issue is that BR is supposed to force a line break, but when you
> use two BR tags, what you really are doing is trying to introduce a
> larger vertical gap, and for this you should really be using CSS instead.

the problem is that the WYSIWYG preview is different from the
printout. is there another workaround than placing &nbsp; between
multiple <br/> tags?
C A Upsdell

schlang wrote:
> On 9 Sep., 17:05, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
> wrote:
>> Multiple BR tags have long been problematic: different browsers have
>> done different things in the past. If you want two empty lines, it is
>> safer to put a &nbsp; between the BR tags to make sure the browser does
>> what you want.
>>
>> Another issue is that BR is supposed to force a line break, but when you
>> use two BR tags, what you really are doing is trying to introduce a
>> larger vertical gap, and for this you should really be using CSS instead.

> the problem is that the WYSIWYG preview is different from the
> printout. is there another workaround than placing &nbsp; between
> multiple <br/> tags?

"WYSIWYG preview"? What is this? Print Preview? If so, I will note
that Print Preview is typically a bit different from actual printing:
it could not fail to be different, because the screen has far lower
resolution than any printer.