IE8 Memory Consumption Problem

Mark Moss

IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
HELP

I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates applied.

I installed IE 8 about 2 months ago and I am having a problem with
Memory.

I normaly have 5 to 7 windows open at any given time and after
running for a day
my memory usage for all the iexplorer.exe tasks will be greater than
500MB.

It will only clear up after I shut down all of my IE8 windows, but
as soon as I open
them again memory usage just starts to climb.

What can I do to tame this Beast?????????????????????????

Mark

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
Do you have the same problem when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons' icon?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mark Moss wrote:
> HELP
>

> I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates applied.
>
> I installed IE 8 about 2 months ago and I am having a problem with
> Memory.
>
> I normaly have 5 to 7 windows open at any given time and after
> running for a day
> my memory usage for all the iexplorer.exe tasks will be greater than
> 500MB.
>
> It will only clear up after I shut down all of my IE8 windows, but
> as soon as I open
> them again memory usage just starts to climb.
>
> What can I do to tame this Beast?????????????????????????
>

> Mark

Mark Moss

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
Leonard

I just opened 5 windows - each having no add-ons specified and I am
already using over 150MB of Memory.

Mark

> Do you have the same problem when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons'
> icon?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Mark Moss wrote:
>> HELP
>>

>> I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates applied.
>>
>> I installed IE 8 about 2 months ago and I am having a problem
>> with Memory.
>>
>> I normaly have 5 to 7 windows open at any given time and after
>> running for a day
>> my memory usage for all the iexplorer.exe tasks will be greater
>> than 500MB.
>>
>> It will only clear up after I shut down all of my IE8 windows,
>> but as soon as I open
>> them again memory usage just starts to climb.
>>
>> What can I do to tame this Beast?????????????????????????
>>

>> Mark

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

it)?

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

Mark Moss wrote:
> I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates applied.
>
> I installed IE 8 about 2 months ago and I am having a problem with
> Memory.
>
> I normaly have 5 to 7 windows open at any given time and after
> running for a day
> my memory usage for all the iexplorer.exe tasks will be greater
> than
> 500MB.
>
> It will only clear up after I shut down all of my IE8 windows, but
> as soon as I open
> them again memory usage just starts to climb.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
I'm sorry, I'm not able to help any further until you answer my question.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Mark Moss wrote:
> Leonard
>

> I just opened 5 windows - each having no add-ons specified and I am
> already using over 150MB of Memory.
>

> Mark

>> Do you have the same problem when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons'
>> icon?
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Mark Moss wrote:
>>> HELP
>>>

>>> I am running Windows XP with SP3 and all current updates applied.
>>>
>>> I installed IE 8 about 2 months ago and I am having a problem
>>> with Memory.
>>>
>>> I normaly have 5 to 7 windows open at any given time and after
>>> running for a day
>>> my memory usage for all the iexplorer.exe tasks will be greater
>>> than 500MB.
>>>
>>> It will only clear up after I shut down all of my IE8 windows,
>>> but as soon as I open
>>> them again memory usage just starts to climb.
>>>
>>> What can I do to tame this Beast?????????????????????????
>>>

>>> Mark

Mark Moss

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
Leonard

I thought that I did answer your question - Using the IE-8 from
the 'no add-ons' --- I just opened 5 windows and I am already using over
150MB of Memory.

Mark

> I'm sorry, I'm not able to help any further until you answer my question.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Mark Moss wrote:
>> Leonard
>>

>> I just opened 5 windows - each having no add-ons specified and I
>> am already using over 150MB of Memory.
>>

>> Mark
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the same problem when you start IE 8 from the 'no add-ons'
>>> icon?
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Gordon

"Mark Moss" <markmoss@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Leonard
>

> I thought that I did answer your question - Using the IE-8 from
> the 'no add-ons' --- I just opened 5 windows and I am already using over
> 150MB of Memory.

I've got eight windows open in IE8 under Win 7 RC and it's using over 200 MB
RAM - seems about normal.....

Mark Moss

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
Gordon

I just again opened 5 new windows with 'no Add-Ons' option of IE-8
and I am using over 160MB and by the end of the day I will be uing over
600MB of memory.

Does that sound normal.

Mark

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Mark Moss" <markmoss@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Leonard
>>

>> I thought that I did answer your question - Using the IE-8
>> from the 'no add-ons' --- I just opened 5 windows and I am already using
>> over 150MB of Memory.
>>

> I've got eight windows open in IE8 under Win 7 RC and it's using over 200
> MB RAM - seems about normal.....

cranheim

Re: IE8 Memory Consumption Problem
I am using IE6 on my Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP3. I want to update to
IE8, but I am worried because I only have 512MB of Ram. When I went to IE7,
I got many slowdowns and hangs, and finally had to go back to IE6. The
information on this thread is making me wonder if my IE7 problem was caused
by my limited memory. If this is true, IE8 will probably fail for the same
reason. I have a Dell, with an unusual type of memory that would be very
expensive to increase. I have not seen any minimum RAM requirements for IE8
to run properly. I would have started a new thread, but the information on
this thread references what seems to be a memory related restriction.
Charles Ranheim

> Gordon
>

> I just again opened 5 new windows with 'no Add-Ons' option of IE-8
> and I am using over 160MB and by the end of the day I will be uing over
> 600MB of memory.
>
> Does that sound normal.
>

> Mark
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Moss" <markmoss@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> Leonard
>>>

>>> I thought that I did answer your question - Using the IE-8
>>> from the 'no add-ons' --- I just opened 5 windows and I am already using
>>> over 150MB of Memory.
>>>

>> I've got eight windows open in IE8 under Win 7 RC and it's using over 200
>> MB RAM - seems about normal.....

Robert Aldwinckle

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message news:e49KfDoMKHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I am using IE6 on my Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP3. I want to update to
> IE8, but I am worried because I only have 512MB of Ram. When I went to IE7,
> I got many slowdowns and hangs, and finally had to go back to IE6. The
> information on this thread is making me wonder if my IE7 problem was caused
> by my limited memory. If this is true, IE8 will probably fail for the same
> reason. I have a Dell, with an unusual type of memory that would be very
> expensive to increase. I have not seen any minimum RAM requirements for IE8
> to run properly. I would have started a new thread, but the information on
> this thread references what seems to be a memory related restriction.
> Charles Ranheim

Until recently I was running XP in 256 MB and even incredibly in 64 MB.
What matters then is what all else you are trying to run at the same time,
especially if it is something that tries to run in the background, such as
an indexer or an AV scanner. That's when thrashing can happen.
E.g. too many programs trying to run at the same time by paging.
So sometimes I had to help IE out by changing its priority or by stopping
other processes. In fact, I still do that even with 1 GB but not as much.
More memory certainly helps. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---