Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.
HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail (27 May 2008)
[NB: There are separate sections for IE6 and IE7 (still incorrectly titled
"Windows Explorer 7"); the IE7 section applies to IE8]
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:
=> Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).
Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerâ€™s (No Add-ons) Mode:
2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
<= Read before using!
3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> I recently installed IE 8 in the Windows XP oerating environment. Now in
> Hotmail account, pictures will not display nor can they be opened by
> clicking on the attachment name. In fact no attachments will open and
> When I clicked on the attachment name when using IE 7 a message pane would
> appear and ask if I wished to either open the attachment or save it to
> Now this pane does not display at all.
> Any suggestions?