Re: Do I need to uninstall IE8 before in-place Windows XP reinstal

Re: Do I need to uninstall IE8 before in-place Windows XP reinstal
[Crosspost to IE General & WinXP General.]

Ben, please reply to my post by number, don't try to answer my questions,
etc., inline with the quote of my reply. Thanks.

1. Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> My computer has been running slower and slower over the last two years.
> Now
> it is at the point where it takes more than 10 minutes to boot up.

2. See...

Help! My computer is slow!
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

> ...It takes
> more than 5 minutes just to start Internet Explorer.

3a. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3b. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

3c. Was Norton Internet Security (NIS) running in the background when you
installed IE7, IE8, and/or any WinXP Service Pack?

4. Norton strikes again? See http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

> ...I run [registry] and system cleaners...and they
> simply come up with dozens of registry errors, which they repair, but then
> the next day they find dozens more!

5. That may *causing* at least some of your problems! If you think your
Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

> ...I am running Norton Internet Security 2009

6. Another troublemaker IMHO, especially if (a) it's not NIS 2009 v3.0 or
higher and/or (b) if there was ever another Norton application or NIS
version installed in the past (including a Norton free-trial that came
preinstalled on the computer when you bought it).

> ...I had thought of simply formatting the hard disk and reinstalling
> Windows XP, but I have done that once before and the backup and
> reinstallation took the better part of a week!

I can show you how to do the format & clean install and then get the WinXP
computer fully-patched within 2 hours or so. Reinstalling & updating your
third-party programs and restoring your backed up data (none of which may be
100% trustworthy) will take as long as necessary, of course.

> ...I thought perhaps a repair installation would be easier

Easy is one thing, getting your PC up & running again is another. And I
would NEVER attempt a Repair Install with a Norton application installed
(see #6 above).
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Ben Feese wrote:
> My computer has been running slower and slower over the last two years.
> Now
> it is at thepoint where it takes more than 10 minutes to boot up. It
> takes
> more than 5 minutes just to start Internet Explorer. What is especially
> frustrating is that I cannot restore any previous settings. I have tried
> with dozens of restore points and always I get the "cannot restore" error
> msg. I had thought of simply formatting the hard disk and reinstalling
> Windows XP, but I have done that once before and the backup and
> reinstallation took the better part of a week! I thought perhaps a repair
> installation would be easier, but perhaps not. BTW, I run register and
> system cleaners such as Norton Systemworks and PC Pitstop Optimize and
> they
> simply come up with dozens of registry errors, which they repair, but then
> the next day they find dozens more! I am running Norton Internet Security
> 2009
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> QED: What problems are you having that you think a Repair Install might
>> resolve?
>>
>> Ben Feese wrote:
>>> The KB 315342 article on repair installation of XP says that IE7 must be
>>> uninstalled before attempting the in-place reinstallation of XP. Is
>>> that
>>> true also for IE8?

SPAMCOP User

Re: Do I need to uninstall IE8 before in-place Windows XP reinstal
Another guessing post, PA Bear? Maybe you should write horoscopes )

If you cover everything one maybe right

--
SPAMCOP User