Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8

Scotirish

Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and McAfee
Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control Panel,
WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them up,
even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can get the
two items to show up on the Tool Bar?

Thanks,
Scotirish

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Is this a different computer than in your thread from mid-July? =>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ee44f6880a0745

Did you disable your McAfee application (assuming Site Advisor is included
in a McAfee suite or application) and ZoneAlarm and then enable the Windows
Firewall prior to installing IE8 this time around?

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Enable third-party
browser extensions <=is this option checked/enabled?

If you right-click on a blank area of IE toolbar, are Site Advisor and ZA
Spy Blocker listed and checked/enabled?
www.banthecheck.com

Scotirish wrote:
> Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
> working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and McAfee
> Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control Panel,
> WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them
> up,
> even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can get
> the
> two items to show up on the Tool Bar?

Don Varnau

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Hi,
If they're enabled in Manage add-ons, those toolbars may need to also be
enabled from IE> View> Toolbars or IE> Tools> Toolbars.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
> working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and McAfee
> Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control Panel,
> WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them

up,
> even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can get

the
> two items to show up on the Tool Bar?
>
> Thanks,
> Scotirish

Scotirish

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Thanks for your input PA Bear and Don Vernau.

PA Bear I got the Site Advisor back up with the right click you suggested.
Now if it will just stay there. As for the Zone Alarm Spy Blocker, I have
not had any luck. I see it there in the"Manage Add-ons" and when I go to
IE>View>Toolbars. But, when I click on it it is a different blocker -- not
Zone Alarm. Tomorrow I might try to uninstall it and then go to the Zone
Alarm site and download it again. What do you all think?

Scotirish 9/8/09 8:15 p.m. EST
"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> If they're enabled in Manage add-ons, those toolbars may need to also be
> enabled from IE> View> Toolbars or IE> Tools> Toolbars.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
> > working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and McAfee
> > Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control Panel,
> > WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them

> up,
> > even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can get

> the
> > two items to show up on the Tool Bar?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scotirish

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Please reply to my post, too, and answer all of my questions.

Scotirish wrote:
> Thanks for your input PA Bear and Don Vernau.
>
> PA Bear I got the Site Advisor back up with the right click you suggested.
> Now if it will just stay there. As for the Zone Alarm Spy Blocker, I
> have
> not had any luck. I see it there in the"Manage Add-ons" and when I go to
>> View>Toolbars. But, when I click on it it is a different blocker -- not

> Zone Alarm. Tomorrow I might try to uninstall it and then go to the Zone
> Alarm site and download it again. What do you all think?
>
> Scotirish 9/8/09 8:15 p.m. EST
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> If they're enabled in Manage add-ons, those toolbars may need to also be
>> enabled from IE> View> Toolbars or IE> Tools> Toolbars.
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
>>> working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and
>>> McAfee
>>> Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control
>>> Panel,
>>> WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them
>>> up, even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can
>>> get the two items to show up on the Tool Bar?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scotirish

Scotirish

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
Papa Bear, here are answers to your questions:
#1 - No
#2 - Yes
#3 - Yes. Was already checked.
#4 - Worked when I right clicked in blank area as you suggested and then
clicked
McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar. But, have to do this each time I log
on.
Regard,
Scotirish 9/9/09

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please reply to my post, too, and answer all of my questions.
>
> Scotirish wrote:
> > Thanks for your input PA Bear and Don Vernau.
> >
> > PA Bear I got the Site Advisor back up with the right click you suggested.
> > Now if it will just stay there. As for the Zone Alarm Spy Blocker, I
> > have
> > not had any luck. I see it there in the"Manage Add-ons" and when I go to
> >> View>Toolbars. But, when I click on it it is a different blocker -- not

> > Zone Alarm. Tomorrow I might try to uninstall it and then go to the Zone
> > Alarm site and download it again. What do you all think?
> >
> > Scotirish 9/8/09 8:15 p.m. EST
> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> If they're enabled in Manage add-ons, those toolbars may need to also be
> >> enabled from IE> View> Toolbars or IE> Tools> Toolbars.
> >> -
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
[Who's this "Papa Bear"? I'm PA [as in Pennsylvania) Bear! <wink> ]

IN RE your answer #4:

1. Close all but one (1) IE window.

2a. Disable ZA Spy Blocker via IE Tools | Manage add-ons.

2b. Right-click on the blank area and make sure Spy Blocker is *not* checked
and re-check Site Advisor toolbar, if necessary. Now make sure Site Advisor
is enabled in IE Tools | Manage add-ons.

3. Close the IE window.

4. Reboot.

5. Assuming you find Site Advisor toolbar is still enabled when you open
IE8, re-enable ZA Spy Blocker now.

NB: If you don't fully understand what Spy Blocker does and how it does it,
leave it permanently disabled.

NB: One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of other
third-party applications may be disallowing the change from "sticking."
These include anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot
Tea Timer, SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy,
WinPatrol, etc), anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee,
ESET/NOD32, Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (i.e.,
ZoneAlarm itself).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

<paste>
Scotirish wrote:
> Papa Bear, here are answers to your questions:
> #1 - No
> #2 - Yes
> #3 - Yes. Was already checked.
> #4 - Worked when I right clicked in blank area as you suggested and then
> clicked McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar. But, have to do this each time I log
> on.

</paste>

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> 1. Is this a different computer than in your thread from mid-July? =>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ee44f6880a0745
>
> 2. Did you disable your McAfee application (assuming Site Advisor is
> included
> in a McAfee suite or application) and ZoneAlarm and then enable the
> Windows
> Firewall prior to installing IE8 this time around?
>
> 3. IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Enable third-party
> browser extensions <=is this option checked/enabled?
>
> 4. If you right-click on a blank area of IE toolbar, are Site Advisor and
> ZA
> Spy Blocker listed and checked/enabled?
>
> Scotirish wrote:
>> Upgraded to IE 8 several days ago on Windows XP Home SP3. Everything is
>> working fine except I am not getting my Zone Alarm Spy Blocker and McAfee
>> Site Advisor showing up on the Tool Bar. They show in the Control Panel,
>> WinPatrol startup, etc. I have looked all over IE8 but can't bring them
>> up,
>> even though they show in Manage Add-Ons. Any ideas as to how I can get
>> the
>> two items to show up on the Tool Bar?

Scotirish

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
For the record and to just end this thread, I got Zone Alarm Spy Blocker back
on myself by uninstalling the one I had and going to the ZA site to download
the software again. Works fine now.

Scotirish 9/10/09

"Scotirish" wrote:

> Papa Bear, here are answers to your questions:
> #1 - No
> #2 - Yes
> #3 - Yes. Was already checked.
> #4 - Worked when I right clicked in blank area as you suggested and then
> clicked
> McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar. But, have to do this each time I log
> on.
> Regard,
> Scotirish 9/9/09
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Please reply to my post, too, and answer all of my questions.
> >
> > Scotirish wrote:
> > > Thanks for your input PA Bear and Don Vernau.
> > >
> > > PA Bear I got the Site Advisor back up with the right click you suggested.
> > > Now if it will just stay there. As for the Zone Alarm Spy Blocker, I
> > > have
> > > not had any luck. I see it there in the"Manage Add-ons" and when I go to
> > > Zone Alarm. Tomorrow I might try to uninstall it and then go to the Zone
> > > Alarm site and download it again. What do you all think?
> > >
> > > Scotirish 9/8/09 8:15 p.m. EST

Re: Missing Two Add-Ons in IE8
And was it the same version as you'd had installed?