Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?

angela g

Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to access
a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download and install
32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg saying it
wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I have 64-bit PC.

Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and if so,
where is the download?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
[[Forwarded to Win 64-bit General via crosspost]]

angela g wrote:
> A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to
> access a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download
> and install 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg
> saying it wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I
> have 64-bit PC.
>
> Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and if
> so,
> where is the download?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Don Varnau

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
Hi,
In IE> Help> About, what's the version? If 64-bit or x-64 isn't in the About
Internet Explorer info, you're running the 32-bit version. When IE8 is
installed to a 64-bit system, both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of IE are
installed, but the 32-bit version of IE is the default.

Anyhow...
Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista 64-bit Edition or Windows
Server 2008 64-bit Edition

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"angela g" <angelag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to

access
> a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download and

install
> 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg saying it
> wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I have 64-bit

PC.

> Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and if

so,
> where is the download?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Bobby Johnson

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default browser.

You can download IE8 @
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
64-bit and 1 32-bit.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [[Forwarded to Win 64-bit General via crosspost]]
>

> angela g wrote:
>> A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to
>> access a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download
>> and install 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg
>> saying it wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I
>> have 64-bit PC.
>>
>> Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and
>> if so,
>> where is the download?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
[I'm not sure Angela was referring to IE8 here but YMMV]

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
> 32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default browser.
>
> You can download IE8 @
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
> 64-bit and 1 32-bit.
>
>> angela g wrote:
>>> A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to
>>> access a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download
>>> and install 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg
>>> saying it wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I
>>> have 64-bit PC.
>>>
>>> Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and
>>> if so, where is the download?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

Bobby Johnson

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
If Angela wishes to download IE the only choice for Vista is IE8.
Microsoft does not offer a download link for IE7 for Vista as it was
included in the release of Vista. Perhaps it could be reinstalled in
the Add/Remove features from Vista?.

All this information can be found by going to www.microsoft.com and
entering what you wish to search for in the search box at the top of the
page.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [I'm not sure Angela was referring to IE8 here but YMMV]
>
> Bobby Johnson wrote:
>> All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
>> 32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default browser.
>>
>> You can download IE8 @
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>>
>> You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
>> 64-bit and 1 32-bit.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
Another possibility:
http://www.oldapps.com/internet_expl...et_explorer=16

Tom Ferguson

"Bobby Johnson" <rjohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If Angela wishes to download IE the only choice for Vista is IE8.
> Microsoft does not offer a download link for IE7 for Vista as it was
> included in the release of Vista. Perhaps it could be reinstalled in the
> Add/Remove features from Vista?.
>
> All this information can be found by going to www.microsoft.com and
> entering what you wish to search for in the search box at the top of the
> page.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [I'm not sure Angela was referring to IE8 here but YMMV]
>>
>> Bobby Johnson wrote:
>>> All 64-bit version of Windows for AMD64/EM64T CPUs has both 64-bit and
>>> 32-bit IE browsers in the package. The 32-bit IE is the default
>>> browser.
>>>
>>> You can download IE8 @
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>>>
>>> You select by operating system and for 64-bit it installs 2 browsers - 1
>>> 64-bit and 1 32-bit.

angela g

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
Thanks everyone. I did download IE from the links you gave. When tried to
install, got msg that a newer version was already on my PC. Well, I suspect
they're the same version but anyhow, my guess is that his version I'm trying
to install contains both 32 and 64-bit, and to install the 32-bit (the one I
don't have now), I need to uninstall 64-bit, and then use this download to
reinstall both. Does that make sense? Sorry if the answer is obvious. I'd
just prefer to not do something stupid. : o )

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> In IE> Help> About, what's the version? If 64-bit or x-64 isn't in the About
> Internet Explorer info, you're running the 32-bit version. When IE8 is
> installed to a 64-bit system, both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of IE are
> installed, but the 32-bit version of IE is the default.
>
> Anyhow...
> Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista 64-bit Edition or Windows
> Server 2008 64-bit Edition
>

> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "angela g" <angelag@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to

> access
> > a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download and

> install
> > 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg saying it
> > wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I have 64-bit

> PC.
> >
> > Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and if

> so,
> > where is the download?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.

R. C. White

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
Hi, Angela.

No problem at all! ;<)

ALL 64-bit versions of Vista come with TWO complete versions of IE7. You
should find them at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\iexplore.exe - the 32-bit (x86) version
C:\Program Files\iexplore.exe - the 64-bit (x64) version

Microsoft sets the 32-bit version as default, even on 64-bit Vista.

When you download IE8, you get BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions; again, the
32-bit version runs by default, even on 64-bit Vista.

Win7 x64 comes with BOTH versions of IE8 and - again - the 32-bit version
runs by default.

You can run the 64-bit version of either IE7 or IE8 just like you run any
other application: browse to Program Files (NOT x86) and click on
iexplore.exe. Or create a shortcut, or pin it to the Start menu or the
Taskbar - or any of the other ways to run an application.

When IE7 or IE8 is running, click Help | About Internet Explorer. If the
64-bit edition is running, it will say, for example:
Version 8.0.7600.16385 64-bit Edition

If the 32-bit version is running, it will say:
Version 8.0.7600.16385

In other words, the 32-bit edition does not even mention "bitness". So if
it doesn't say "64-bit", then you are running the 32-bit edition. And, yes,
you can run both versions at the same time, side by side on the same
desktop. See the attached screenshot, especially the two
not-quite-identical "About..." boxes.

A few applications, such as Adobe Flash, will not run in 64-bit IE. But
they will run just fine in 32-bit IE in a 64-bit Vista or Win7. (I don’t
know about WinXP x64 because I haven't run that in over 3 years.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> [[Forwarded to Win 64-bit General via crosspost]]
>

> angela g wrote:
>> A webex tech support person suggested I might need to run IE 32-bit to
>> access a webinar (I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium). I tried to download
>> and install 32-bit IE but when I tried to install it I got an error msg
>> saying it wouldn't run on my PC, apparently because it's 32-bit IE and I
>> have 64-bit PC.
>>
>> Is there a special 32-bit version of IE for 64-bit PCs like mine, and if
>> so,
>> where is the download?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.

Re: Where is download for IE 32-bit to run on 64-bit PC?
[THX for jumping in here, RC!]