IE8 Vista Home Edition and Avast problems

GH

IE8 Vista Home Edition and Avast problems
I have a new PC which came preloaded with Vista Home Premium and it has
since auto updated me to IE8.

I had a problem with Explorer hanging and I posted it on here a while ago
and someone said to disable something in add-ons and I thought it was sorted
because it has been working fine for a few weeks now but suddenly it just
seems to have started to hang again for no reason.

I tried using Firefox while IE8 is just sitting there trying to find a
webpage and funny enough Firefox can't find it's home page which told me it
is not an IE8 issue. I also tried 'Started IE8 without add-ons' and it is
still the same.

Tonight I tried disabling my Avast Antivirus software and suddenly IE8
starts to work fine again.

Can anyone tell me if there is a setting in Avast Free Home Edition that can
be altered to stop it blocking IE8's access

Thanks guys

Graham

Re: IE8 Vista Home Edition and Avast problems
Your earlier thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ce0ba524a9d17e

Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 now?

Was Avast running in the background when you installled IE8?

When (approx. date) did you install Avast?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed Avast?

Are you still using "Registry cleaners"? If you think your Registry needs
to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
and draw your own conclusions.
www.banthecheck.com

GH wrote:
> I have a new PC which came preloaded with Vista Home Premium and it has
> since auto updated me to IE8.
>
> I had a problem with Explorer hanging and I posted it on here a while ago
> and someone said to disable something in add-ons and I thought it was
> sorted
> because it has been working fine for a few weeks now but suddenly it just
> seems to have started to hang again for no reason.
>
> I tried using Firefox while IE8 is just sitting there trying to find a
> webpage and funny enough Firefox can't find it's home page which told me
> it
> is not an IE8 issue. I also tried 'Started IE8 without add-ons' and it is
> still the same.
>
> Tonight I tried disabling my Avast Antivirus software and suddenly IE8
> starts to work fine again.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a setting in Avast Free Home Edition that
> can
> be altered to stop it blocking IE8's access
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Graham

GH

> Your earlier thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ce0ba524a9d17e
>
> Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 now?

SP1

> Was Avast running in the background when you installled IE8?

No

> When (approx. date) did you install Avast?

About 2 weeks ago when I got the PC

> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed Avast?

It didn't come with any Anti-virus installed

No

> Are you still using "Registry cleaners"? If you think your Registry needs
> to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
> and draw your own conclusions.

Last night I installed Registry Mechanic to try

Thanks for your reply

GH wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Your earlier thread:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ce0ba524a9d17e
>>
>> Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 now?

> SP1
>
>> Was Avast running in the background when you installled IE8?

> No
>
>> When (approx. date) did you install Avast?

> About 2 weeks ago when I got the PC
>
>> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed Avast?

> It didn't come with any Anti-virus installed
>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

> No
>
>> Are you still using "Registry cleaners"? If you think your Registry
>> needs
>> to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
>> and draw your own conclusions.

> Last night I installed Registry Mechanic to try

Did you bother reading http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 ??

GH

> GH wrote:
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Your earlier thread:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ce0ba524a9d17e
>>>
>>> Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 now?

>> SP1
>>
>>> Was Avast running in the background when you installled IE8?

>> No
>>
>>> When (approx. date) did you install Avast?

>> About 2 weeks ago when I got the PC
>>
>>> What anti-virus application was installed before you installed Avast?

>> It didn't come with any Anti-virus installed
>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

>> No
>>
>>> Are you still using "Registry cleaners"? If you think your Registry
>>> needs
>>> to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
>>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
>>> and draw your own conclusions.

>> Last night I installed Registry Mechanic to try

> Did you bother reading http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 ??

Yes I did 'bother' and my personal choice is to stick with what I have
always done, nothing!

GH wrote:
>> GH wrote:

>>> SP1

>>> No

>>> About 2 weeks ago when I got the PC

>>> It didn't come with any Anti-virus installed

>>> No

>>> Last night I installed Registry Mechanic to try

>> Did you bother reading http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 ??

> Yes I did 'bother' and my personal choice is to stick with what I have
> always done, nothing!

Suit yourself & good luck.