IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank!

JoWhitaker

IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank!
For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are blank.
The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The icons are
there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the Home or Print
button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of the fly-out menus
from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I have IE8 installed on
Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with IE7, only after upgrading to
IE8.

I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny imput
boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable visual styles on
buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the blank drop-down menus in
the Command Bar.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank!
Hi,
I would try:
1. Uninstalling WindowBlinds to see if it's the culprit.

2. Try a different Windows theme. Display Properties> Appearance> etc.

3. Disabling all browser add-ons to see if an add-on is causing the problem.
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
solution.

IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JoWhitaker" <JoWhitaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are

blank.
> The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The icons are
> there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the Home or Print
> button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of the fly-out menus
> from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I have IE8 installed

on
> Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with IE7, only after upgrading to
> IE8.
>
> I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny

imput
> boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable visual styles

on
> buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the blank drop-down menus

in
> the Command Bar.

JoWhitaker

Re: IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank!
Thanks for the reply, Don. I uninstalled WindowBlinds completely and all is
well now. I'll wait for an update before reinstalling. Hopefully these
issues will be addressed.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I would try:
> 1. Uninstalling WindowBlinds to see if it's the culprit.
>
> 2. Try a different Windows theme. Display Properties> Appearance> etc.
>
> 3. Disabling all browser add-ons to see if an add-on is causing the problem.
> Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
>
> 4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
> installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
> installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
> solution.
>
> IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "JoWhitaker" <JoWhitaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are

> blank.
> > The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The icons are
> > there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the Home or Print
> > button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of the fly-out menus
> > from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I have IE8 installed

> on
> > Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with IE7, only after upgrading to
> > IE8.
> >
> > I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny

> imput
> > boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable visual styles

> on
> > buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the blank drop-down menus

> in
> > the Command Bar.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

JoWhitaker wrote:

> For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are
> blank. The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The
> icons are there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the Home
> or Print button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of the
> fly-out menus from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I have
> IE8 installed on Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with IE7, only
> after upgrading to IE8.
>
> I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny
> imput boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable visual
> styles on buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the blank
> drop-down menus in the Command Bar.

For the record:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-71af141c597d
"IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
> JoWhitaker wrote:
>
>> For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are
>> blank. The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The
>> icons are there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the Home
>> or Print button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of the
>> fly-out menus from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I have
>> IE8 installed on Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with IE7, only
>> after upgrading to IE8.
>>
>> I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny
>> imput boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable visual
>> styles on buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the blank
>> drop-down menus in the Command Bar.

> For the record:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-71af141c597d
> "IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank".

<pft> He posted here first! <eg>

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>> JoWhitaker wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason, all the drop-down menus in the Command Bar (IE8) are
>>> blank. The regular Menu Bar is fine, it's just the Command Bar. The
>>> icons are there, and I can click on them and they work...such as the
>>> Home or Print button...but the drop-down menus are all blank. Some of
>>> the fly-out menus from within the drop-downs show text, but not all. I
>>> have IE8 installed on Windows XP, SP3. This was not a problem with
>>> IE7, only after upgrading to IE8.
>>>
>>> I do have WindowBlinds 6.0 installed and also had the problem of tiny
>>> imput boxes on certain pages. I fixed that by turning off 'Enable
>>> visual styles on buttons and controls...' but that did not fix the
>>> blank drop-down menus in the Command Bar.

>> For the record:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-71af141c597d
>> "IE8 Command Bar drop-down menus are blank".

> <pft> He posted here first! <eg>

Yes Sir ;-)

--
Vincenzo Di Russo