Getting NOT RESPONDING on websites

Kathy

Getting NOT RESPONDING on websites
XP HOME, SP3
IE 7.0, tabs enabled
Temporary Internet Files set to 150 MB
Check for newer versions of stored pages: Automatically

Hi,

Recently, within the past couple of weeks, IE quit responding. It hangs so
I leave a copy of Windows Task Manager open to see which windows are NOT
RESPONDING. Sometimes if I just wait long enough they will start responding
again. But other times I just have to close them all down (closing 1 IE
window closes them all) and restart IE.

Also during this time period I noticed that clicking the middle mouse button
opens a new Window rather than a new Tab as it had in the past. I believe
there is a setting that tells it to do that but haven't been able to find it
in Interenet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options or in the Mouse section of
Control Panel. Anyway I just wamted to see the setting because I certainly
do not recall changing it. And, yes, I am the only user of this computer.

I recently set the Paging size to 150. It was set to 2500 or something like
that. I should have written it down but didn't. I don't recall changing
the paging size. Could that have happened automatically? I mean, maybe
some message popped up that page size was too small and asked to bump it up.
I COULD have responded to go ahead and do that but I really don't recall.
And it wouldn't have been recently anyhow.

In the same two week period (and a couple of weeks before) the computer was
responding very slowly. So I was thinking that maybe my hard drive was too
full. So I started moving stuff to my H drive (640 gig external drive.)
And renaming the files left on C that were moved to [name].del so I would
know that they could be deleted if everything seemed to be going all right.
So far I have not deleted any of them. They are all in my documents folders
anyhow. No program folders. Also have Spyware Detector running and finding
no bad spyware. And Norton AntiVirus, corporate edition. My company allows
us to use the corporate edition because we connect to the company web sites
from home and they don't want us infecting the corporate files.

Changing the page size has made the most difference. Well, of course,
moving the folders to H drive didn't make an iota of difference since all
the folders are still on the C drive as well. But I did defrag C. Maybe
that helped. I'm not really sure. Let me say here that twice in the past 2
years my computer has had to be "rebuilt" software wise and my computer
store guys (nope, not Best Buy!) created a large folder called "Recovered"
in one folder the first time and "Recovered" in another folder the second
time. So there is a lot of duplication and even possibly triplication for
those I may have restored.

OK, so what's my question. Well, I wondered if either installing IE 8.0 or
re-installing IE 7.0 is advised.

I found some posts about installing IE 8.0 and have put them in .doc files
on my QuikLaunch toolbar so I would be able to see the information if the
install wasn't going successfully. I would welcome any advice. Maybe
something I can check on to help narrow the scope of the problem?

OK, I hope that's enough information. Please ask if more is needed.

Thanks so much!

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust

Re: Getting NOT RESPONDING on websites
> ...I wondered if either installing IE 8.0 or
> re-installing IE 7.0 is advised.

Not at this point, no.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. Does the behavior persist after rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking?
<=CAREFUL! ONLY REMAIN IN SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING JUST LONG ENOUGH TO
TEST!!

4. Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
www.banthecheck.com

Kathy wrote:
> [...]
> 2
> years my computer has had to be "rebuilt" software wise and my computer
> store guys (nope, not Best Buy!) created a large folder called "Recovered"
> in one folder the first time and "Recovered" in another folder the second
> time. So there is a lot of duplication and even possibly triplication for
> those I may have restored.
>
> OK, so what's my question. Well, I wondered if either installing IE 8.0
> or
> re-installing IE 7.0 is advised.
>
> I found some posts about installing IE 8.0 and have put them in .doc files
> on my QuikLaunch toolbar so I would be able to see the information if the
> install wasn't going successfully. I would welcome any advice. Maybe
> something I can check on to help narrow the scope of the problem?
>
> OK, I hope that's enough information. Please ask if more is needed.

Kathy

Re: Getting NOT RESPONDING on websites
Hi PA Bear

OMGosh! It's the add-ons!

1. Started IE with no add-ons.
Wow! Must be some add-on causing the problems. It's behaving like it
used to.
I looked in "Manage Add-ons." There are a bunch. 47. I suppose I
said "OK" at
some point to allow them all to be installed.
Would it be all right to just keep running with no add-ons? Or is it
necessary to ID the
offending add-on?
What does the column BLOCKED mean? One has been blocked 87 times. 12
have
been blocked 20 or 21 times. All the rest are have been blocked 6 or
fewer times. The
one blocked 87 times is Shockwave Flash Object. Is that a good place to
start?
Or, not all of them have a Publisher listed. Maybe I should concentrate
on that group?
None of the ones listed as having compatibility problems at this site
were on my PC.
http://blogs.msdn.com:80/ie/archive/...25/678113.aspx
There isn't an "installed" column in the Manage Add-ons list. So I just
looked at the "accessed" column.
Should I post back with the offending add-on once found? Because I'm
just going to
chip away at it. Maybe starting with the ones most recently accessed.
2. Not tried. Should I try this one as well? With add-ons disabled?
3. Not tried. Should I try this one as well? With add-ons disabled?
4. IE7 was installed before SP3. SP3 was installed about 6 months ago. By
my computer store at the time the PC was being rebuilt.

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust
> [...]

>> store guys (nope, not Best Buy!) created a large folder called
>> "Recovered"
>> in one folder the first time and "Recovered" in another folder the second
>> time. So there is a lot of duplication and even possibly triplication
>> for
>> those I may have restored.
>>
>> OK, so what's my question. Well, I wondered if either installing IE 8.0
>> or
>> re-installing IE 7.0 is advised.
>>
>> I found some posts about installing IE 8.0 and have put them in .doc
>> files
>> on my QuikLaunch toolbar so I would be able to see the information if the
>> install wasn't going successfully. I would welcome any advice. Maybe
>> something I can check on to help narrow the scope of the problem?
>>
>> OK, I hope that's enough information. Please ask if more is needed.

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

Geeze, where to start, especially without having physical access to the
computer?

1. Make sure Flash and Shockwave are the current versions. See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41510 and
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41427.

2. If Adobe Acrobat or Reader is installed, make sure you're running v9.1.3.
See the appropriate section of http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41518

3. Make sure your (Sun) Java Runtimes (JRE) is the latest version, too. See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41698

4. Uninstall any/all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Skype;
Windows Live; Roboform) & reboot. Now decide which of those toolbars you
simply cannot live without (hopefully just one) then download/install the
current version.

5. And if still no joy, do a Reset but be prepared for the fairly minor
consequences of doing so: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

> In God We Trust

All others must pay cash! <w>

Kathy wrote:
> [...]

>>> "Recovered"
>>> in one folder the first time and "Recovered" in another folder the
>>> second
>>> time. So there is a lot of duplication and even possibly triplication
>>> for
>>> those I may have restored.
>>>
>>> OK, so what's my question. Well, I wondered if either installing IE 8.0
>>> or
>>> re-installing IE 7.0 is advised.
>>>
>>> I found some posts about installing IE 8.0 and have put them in .doc
>>> files
>>> on my QuikLaunch toolbar so I would be able to see the information if
>>> the
>>> install wasn't going successfully. I would welcome any advice. Maybe
>>> something I can check on to help narrow the scope of the problem?
>>>
>>> OK, I hope that's enough information. Please ask if more is needed.

Kathy

Re: Getting NOT RESPONDING on websites
Hi PA Bear,

You are so knowledgeable and so kind. Thank you for all the information you
have provided.

Flash and Shockwave: Updated
Adobe Reader: Updated
Java Runtime: Updated

There was only 1 toolbar called Ask: Uninstalled. I have no idea when it
was installed but it was purely unintentional!

While in the Uninstall program I looked at everything else and notice that
there are 4 components of .Net. Why I would need .Net is beyond me. Maybe
some application on the computer requires it.

I'll shut everything down tonight and do a reboot in the morning. Too late
tonight.

All the add-ons have been disabled except these are enabled:
Adobe PDF Reader
get atlcom Class
Java Plug-in 1.6.0 16

In the Manage Add-ons function it will allow me to delete Activex controls.
I have not done that yet. Will just leave them disabled. If something
requires an Activex control then it will presumably ask to install it. At
that time will it install a new copy and leave the old disabled copy? Or
will it update the disabled copy? And then enable it?

Good night. Tomorrow is another day.

--
Kathy
aka smiley