Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2009
Jan Nademlejnsky
 

Posts: n/a
IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed
IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed. I
could start IE only without Ad-ons (Programs, Accessories, System Tools, IE
NO Add-ons). I had to System restore 2x to before Service 3.0.

Is there any solution to it? I am on Auto Update and this reoccurring
problem.

Thanks for your help.

Jan


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

While you may find a Restore Point named "Software Distribution Service
3.0," that's not what installed. A Restore Point by that name is created
whenever you install one or more updates via Windows Update/Automatic
Updates.

Examine the last 50-or-so lines at the bottom (end) of WindowsUpdate.log and
tell us which updates were installed and/or keep being reinstalled?

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
in the background when you installed IE8?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
www.banthecheck.com


Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
> IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed. I
> could start IE only without Ad-ons (Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
> IE
> NO Add-ons). I had to System restore 2x to before Service 3.0.
>
> Is there any solution to it? I am on Auto Update and this reoccurring
> problem.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed
Hi Jan,

System or Computer restores?

Sounds like you have done a computer restore and accidentally re-installed
older versions of some of your IE Addons.

To get you working straight away, check "Enable third-party browser
extensions" on the Advanced tab of Internet Options, and then restart your
browser (It should start with your Addon Toolbars and Browser Helper Addons
disabled, but with your other Addons (context menus, menus and Command bar
buttons are un-affected). You should now be able to Check with your Addon
vendors for the latest versions of their software... toolbar.google.com.

Oh, sorry if you have the Google toolbar installed (v4 or 5), first
uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs applet and then restart your
computer before downloading and installing v6.

Regards.

"Jan Nademlejnsky" <jannade@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:#6Y1cLyLKHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed. I
> could start IE only without Ad-ons (Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
> IE NO Add-ons). I had to System restore 2x to before Service 3.0.
>
> Is there any solution to it? I am on Auto Update and this reoccurring
> problem.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jan
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed
PS: NEVER use System Restore to "undo" the installation of a Windows Update,
Windows Service Pack, or IE upgrade!!

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> While you may find a Restore Point named "Software Distribution Service
> 3.0," that's not what installed. A Restore Point by that name is created
> whenever you install one or more updates via Windows Update/Automatic
> Updates.
>
> Examine the last 50-or-so lines at the bottom (end) of WindowsUpdate.log
> and
> tell us which updates were installed and/or keep being reinstalled?
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
> running
> in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
>> IE8 instantly quits after Software Distribution Service 3.0 Installed. I
>> could start IE only without Ad-ons (Programs, Accessories, System Tools,
>> IE
>> NO Add-ons). I had to System restore 2x to before Service 3.0.
>>
>> Is there any solution to it? I am on Auto Update and this reoccurring
>> problem.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software Distribution Service 3.0 ashley microsoft.public.windowsupdate 48 06-07-2010 17:13
Software Distribution Service 3.0 adieboyes microsoft.public.windowsupdate 9 12-29-2008 06:43
Software Distribution Service 3.0 Jazz microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 08-04-2008 00:08
Software Distribution Service 3.0 Murray A microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 07-19-2008 12:15
software distribution service 3.0 software distribution service 3.0 microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.general 2 01-15-2008 20:32




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120