IE8 not responding when bing is default search

seabird

IE8 not responding when bing is default search
I am running windows Vista business and am up to date on patches. Also IE8. I
decided to make bing my search default provider.

After I have opened a few tabs - I haven't really kep track of which, but
Google mail is one of them usually, I decide to do a search. Enter the search
terms into the bing search toolbar and IE locks up. Only recourse so far is
to kill IE and restart it. Haven't had to reboot the box yet...

Yes I understand that some might recommend moving to a different browser 0
Firefox has advocates, Chrome has advocates. I may eventually go that route,
but I don't want to have to yet.

Immediate fix is of course to go back to google as default search, but that
is just a cop-out as far as I am concerned. I quite like bing's searc.

Anyt thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
Hi,
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Since it sounds like google may be involved, I would disable all google
add-ons first when troubleshooting this. If google is the guilty party,
uninstalling, re-downloading and reinstalling the google toolbar may help.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"seabird" <seabird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running windows Vista business and am up to date on patches. Also

IE8. I
> decided to make bing my search default provider.
>
> After I have opened a few tabs - I haven't really kep track of which, but
> Google mail is one of them usually, I decide to do a search. Enter the

search
> terms into the bing search toolbar and IE locks up. Only recourse so far

is
> to kill IE and restart it. Haven't had to reboot the box yet...
>
> Yes I understand that some might recommend moving to a different browser 0
> Firefox has advocates, Chrome has advocates. I may eventually go that

route,
> but I don't want to have to yet.
>
> Immediate fix is of course to go back to google as default search, but

that
> is just a cop-out as far as I am concerned. I quite like bing's searc.
>
> Anyt thoughts on this anyone?
>
> Thanks

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
> I decided to make bing my search default provider.

> ...I decide to do a search. Enter the
> search terms into the bing search toolbar and...

Have you installed Bing Toolbar (AKA Windows Live Toolbar & MSN Toolbar)?

seabird wrote:
> I am running windows Vista business and am up to date on patches. Also
> IE8.
> I decided to make bing my search default provider.
>
> After I have opened a few tabs - I haven't really kep track of which, but
> Google mail is one of them usually, I decide to do a search. Enter the
> search terms into the bing search toolbar and IE locks up. Only recourse
> so
> far is to kill IE and restart it. Haven't had to reboot the box yet...
>
> Yes I understand that some might recommend moving to a different browser 0
> Firefox has advocates, Chrome has advocates. I may eventually go that
> route,
> but I don't want to have to yet.
>
> Immediate fix is of course to go back to google as default search, but
> that
> is just a cop-out as far as I am concerned. I quite like bing's searc.
>
> Anyt thoughts on this anyone?
>
> Thanks

MHL

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
I recently installed the new MSN/Bing toolbar and like it a lot.
--
**********
Michael

>> I decided to make bing my search default provider.

>> ...I decide to do a search. Enter the
>> search terms into the bing search toolbar and...

> Have you installed Bing Toolbar (AKA Windows Live Toolbar & MSN Toolbar)?
>

> seabird wrote:
>> I am running windows Vista business and am up to date on patches. Also
>> IE8.
>> I decided to make bing my search default provider.
>>
>> After I have opened a few tabs - I haven't really kep track of which, but
>> Google mail is one of them usually, I decide to do a search. Enter the
>> search terms into the bing search toolbar and IE locks up. Only recourse
>> so
>> far is to kill IE and restart it. Haven't had to reboot the box yet...
>>
>> Yes I understand that some might recommend moving to a different browser
>> 0
>> Firefox has advocates, Chrome has advocates. I may eventually go that
>> route,
>> but I don't want to have to yet.
>>
>> Immediate fix is of course to go back to google as default search, but
>> that
>> is just a cop-out as far as I am concerned. I quite like bing's searc.
>>
>> Anyt thoughts on this anyone?
>>
>> Thanks

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
Are you "seabird"?

MHL wrote:
> I recently installed the new MSN/Bing toolbar and like it a lot.

>>> I decided to make bing my search default provider.

>>> ...I decide to do a search. Enter the
>>> search terms into the bing search toolbar and...

>> Have you installed Bing Toolbar (AKA Windows Live Toolbar & MSN Toolbar)?
>>

>> seabird wrote:
>>> I am running windows Vista business and am up to date on patches. Also
>>> IE8.
>>> I decided to make bing my search default provider.
>>>
>>> After I have opened a few tabs - I haven't really kep track of which,
>>> but
>>> Google mail is one of them usually, I decide to do a search. Enter the
>>> search terms into the bing search toolbar and IE locks up. Only recourse
>>> so
>>> far is to kill IE and restart it. Haven't had to reboot the box yet...
>>>
>>> Yes I understand that some might recommend moving to a different browser
>>> 0
>>> Firefox has advocates, Chrome has advocates. I may eventually go that
>>> route,
>>> but I don't want to have to yet.
>>>
>>> Immediate fix is of course to go back to google as default search, but
>>> that
>>> is just a cop-out as far as I am concerned. I quite like bing's searc.
>>>
>>> Anyt thoughts on this anyone?
>>>
>>> Thanks

MHL

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
No, just commenting on How the MSN/Bing toolbar is good... Positive
feedback!
--
Michael

Windows 7 RC
IE 8
Windows Live Mail 2009 (latest)
Office 2007 (latest)

> Are you "seabird"?
>
> MHL wrote:
>> I recently installed the new MSN/Bing toolbar and like it a lot.

>>> Have you installed Bing Toolbar (AKA Windows Live Toolbar & MSN
>>> Toolbar)?

seabird

Re: IE8 not responding when bing is default search
Hi, sorry for the delay, I was off the air repairing Vista. Problem withh VSS
error code 14. Butthat's another thread.

No have not got the toolbars installed. Truing to run as minimally as
possible. I switched to bing for search and switched back - disablinga all
the google stuff. No real change.

If anything the situation is worsening. Now the whole machine locks up,
previously t was just IE.

Oh bother.