Relative Positioning in IE6

Nathan Sokalski

Relative Positioning in IE6
I have the following code which should display 3 rollover areas inside a
div. I have tried this in both FireFox and IE6 (the reason I am doing stuff
in IE6 is because I am a developer, so unfortunately I still need to make
sure stuff works with it), and in a page by itself it looks fine and does
what I expect and want. When I use it in another page in FireFox it still
does the same thing, as I want and expect. However, with IE6 the three
anchor tags are shifted down. They are still in the same position relative
to each other, but not to the div. It almost looks as if there was another
element placed inside the div before the first anchor. I am pretty sure that
this is an IE6 CSS bug, but bug or not I want to find a workaround. I have
set all the CSS properties that I think could be relevant. Does anybody have
any ideas that might help me? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Peter Foldes

Re: Relative Positioning in IE6

Nathan

Try and post here instead:

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/

--
Peter

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have the following code which should display 3 rollover areas inside a div. I
>have tried this in both FireFox and IE6 (the reason I am doing stuff in IE6 is
>because I am a developer, so unfortunately I still need to make sure stuff works
>with it), and in a page by itself it looks fine and does what I expect and want.
>When I use it in another page in FireFox it still does the same thing, as I want
>and expect. However, with IE6 the three anchor tags are shifted down. They are
>still in the same position relative to each other, but not to the div. It almost
>looks as if there was another element placed inside the div before the first
>anchor. I am pretty sure that this is an IE6 CSS bug, but bug or not I want to find
>a workaround. I have set all the CSS properties that I think could be relevant.
>Does anybody have any ideas that might help me? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

rob^_^

Re: Relative Positioning in IE6
Hi,

Well if you HAVE to use IE6, I would suggest that you don't understand what
the Doctype declaration is for. What version of FX are you using to compare
with IE6?

What is Quirks mode? Does FX support Quirks mode? (y) Does IE6 support it?
Does IE7 support it? Does IE8 support it.(y all).

Start your research at positioniseverything.net another is quirksmode.org

Without viewing your source we have no idea what may be causing your issue.
An educated guess would be "the box model" used by the two browsers, and in
the case of FX3x, which doctype you have chosen. OR your font family and
font size settings are different between your FX and IE versions.

If you must use IE6 for development, then download debugbar
(http://www.debugbar.com) to help you debug your css and markup. If you are
using Visual Studio or Expression web for development then the MS
intellisence will guide you with errors and warnings to produce browser
agnostic code. (I pity you Calypso and Web Sphere saps)

Regards.

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have the following code which should display 3 rollover areas inside a
> div. I have tried this in both FireFox and IE6 (the reason I am doing
> stuff in IE6 is because I am a developer, so unfortunately I still need to
> make sure stuff works with it), and in a page by itself it looks fine and
> does what I expect and want. When I use it in another page in FireFox it
> still does the same thing, as I want and expect. However, with IE6 the
> three anchor tags are shifted down. They are still in the same position
> relative to each other, but not to the div. It almost looks as if there
> was another element placed inside the div before the first anchor. I am
> pretty sure that this is an IE6 CSS bug, but bug or not I want to find a
> workaround. I have set all the CSS properties that I think could be
> relevant. Does anybody have any ideas that might help me? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

rob^_^

Re: Relative Positioning in IE6
Oh Sorry,

Another possible cause is the default values for the body margin that FX
applies (see html.css in your FX\CSS folder).

Regards.