Question Re IE7 to IE8

Scotirish

Question Re IE7 to IE8
Am thinking about upgrading from IE7 to IE8. Do I need to download IE8 and
"Save" - - then uninstall IE7 prior to installing IE8? Or does IE8
uninstall IE7 for me before its installation? Would appreciate your advice
and other recommendations you might wish to offer.

Thanks,
Scotirish 9/5/09

Jim

Re: Question Re IE7 to IE8

"Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am thinking about upgrading from IE7 to IE8. Do I need to download IE8
> and
> "Save" - - then uninstall IE7 prior to installing IE8? Or does IE8
> uninstall IE7 for me before its installation? Would appreciate your
> advice
> and other recommendations you might wish to offer.
>
> Thanks,
> Scotirish 9/5/09

Save the install file to disk.
Disconnect from the internet. (Turn off the modem)
Disable AV
Install IE8. The installation will save whatever is needed to regress to
IE7.
Enable AV
Connect to the internet. (Turn the model back on)

Jim

Scotirish

Re: Question Re IE7 to IE8
Thanks Jim. By "regress ," am I right in thinking you are suggesting this in
the event I want to go back to IE7 at some time after installing IE8?

"Jim" wrote:

> "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Am thinking about upgrading from IE7 to IE8. Do I need to download IE8
> > and
> > "Save" - - then uninstall IE7 prior to installing IE8? Or does IE8
> > uninstall IE7 for me before its installation? Would appreciate your
> > advice
> > and other recommendations you might wish to offer.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scotirish 9/5/09
> >

> Save the install file to disk.
> Disconnect from the internet. (Turn off the modem)
> Disable AV
> Install IE8. The installation will save whatever is needed to regress to
> IE7.
> Enable AV
> Connect to the internet. (Turn the model back on)
>
> Jim

Leonard Grey

Re: Question Re IE7 to IE8
Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operating system -- there is
nothing to uninstall. You will be upgrading your operating system from
IE 7 to IE 8.

You didn't say what version of Windows you are trying to upgrade. Here
are instructions for upgrading Windows XP SP 3 to IE 8. [I don't have
Vista -- the procedures might be slightly different if you do.]

Follow these suggestions and you are virtually assured of success.

1- Read about the new features of IE 8 on Microsoft's website (and
elsewhere on the web).
2- Read the Release Notes
3- Make sure your computer is 100% free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free. Upgrading to IE 8
is not a fix for problems you are currently experiencing.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, as well as any other software
you frequently use and websites you frequently visit, are compatible
with IE 8.
7- Backup your personal files (documents, photos, spreadsheets, etc.) as
well as your e-mail, address book and Favorites; and create a restore
point. (If you're familiar with disk imaging, backup your hard drive.)
8- You may need to uninstall third-party toolbars from your current
version of Internet Explorer; or reset Internet Explorer to default
settings. When you reset Internet Explorer settings, all add-ons and
customizations are deleted, and you basically start with a fresh version
of Internet Explorer.
9- Download the IE 8 installer from the Microsoft website.
10- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on the
Taskbar.
11- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall.
12- During IE 8 installation, agree to "Install updates."
13- Reboot /twice/ after installing IE 8.
14- Turn off Windows Firewall. Re-enable your security software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Scotirish wrote:
> Am thinking about upgrading from IE7 to IE8. Do I need to download IE8 and
> "Save" - - then uninstall IE7 prior to installing IE8? Or does IE8
> uninstall IE7 for me before its installation? Would appreciate your advice
> and other recommendations you might wish to offer.
>
> Thanks,
> Scotirish 9/5/09

Scotirish

Re: Question Re IE7 to IE8
Hello Leonard Grey,
Thanks for your detailed response to my question. This will be a big help
in the installation of IE8.
Scotirish

> Thanks Jim. By "regress ," am I right in thinking you are suggesting this
> in
> the event I want to go back to IE7 at some time after installing IE8?

Yes
Jim