EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6

OE6

EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6
In the morning, I had a 3000 email messages in my iINBOX of outlook express
6.0 installed on Windows XP Prof. I searched an email by serach engine of
OE6, after that I suddenly found there is 3 messages left. However, INBOX.DBX
is showing 895 MB . But I found only 3 messages. Where my all 3000 email
gone. Please suggest

Bruce Hagen

Re: EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6
[crossposted to the OE General newsgroup]

The two most common reasons for what you describe is disruption of the
compacting process, (never touch anything until it's finished), or bloated
folders. More on that below.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

Why Mail Disappears:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovery tools:

If you are running XP/SP2, or SP3, and are fully patched, then you should
have a backup of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, (or possibly the message
store), copied as bak files.

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first find the location
of the Message Store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the .dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start
| Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

Close OE and then in Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the
missing, or empty, folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted
later once you have successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message
Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open the
message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close
the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in the
folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

If you do not have bak copies of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, then:

DBXpress run in Extract From Disk Mode is the best chance to recover
messages:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

And see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

A general warning to help avoid this in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving, and
causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting changes
and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your up-to-date A/V
program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"OE6" <OE6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the morning, I had a 3000 email messages in my iINBOX of outlook
> express
> 6.0 installed on Windows XP Prof. I searched an email by serach engine of
> OE6, after that I suddenly found there is 3 messages left. However,
> INBOX.DBX
> is showing 895 MB . But I found only 3 messages. Where my all 3000 email
> gone. Please suggest

Re: EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6
[Crosspost to OE General, too]

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...s.htm#mailgone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section under
Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install KB923694 or
KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows Update!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
DBXtract)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

www.banthecheck.com

OE6 wrote:
> In the morning, I had a 3000 email messages in my iINBOX of outlook
> express
> 6.0 installed on Windows XP Prof. I searched an email by serach engine of
> OE6, after that I suddenly found there is 3 messages left. However,
> INBOX.DBX is showing 895 MB . But I found only 3 messages. Where my all
> 3000 email gone. Please suggest

MHL

Re: EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6
Do Not type your Subject in all Capital letters please! Geez.

"OE6" <OE6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the morning, I had a 3000 email messages in my iINBOX of outlook
> express
> 6.0 installed on Windows XP Prof. I searched an email by serach engine of
> OE6, after that I suddenly found there is 3 messages left. However,
> INBOX.DBX
> is showing 895 MB . But I found only 3 messages. Where my all 3000 email
> gone. Please suggest

Steve Cochran

Re: EMAIL MESSAGES OF INBOX DISAPPEARED in OE6
He now has 895 million zeroes in that file. When the messages go away, they
get filled with zeroes (blanks), so then the file size hasn't changed, just
the contents. One can test by opening the file with Notepad or by zipping
it which will shrink it down to almost nothing.

steve

> [Crosspost to OE General, too]
>
> Why it happens:
>
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...s.htm#mailgone
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx
>
> Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
> and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section under
> Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install KB923694
> or KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows Update!)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
> DBXtract)
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
> to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
> Compacting is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> OE6 wrote:
>> In the morning, I had a 3000 email messages in my iINBOX of outlook
>> express
>> 6.0 installed on Windows XP Prof. I searched an email by serach engine
>> of
>> OE6, after that I suddenly found there is 3 messages left. However,
>> INBOX.DBX is showing 895 MB . But I found only 3 messages. Where my all
>> 3000 email gone. Please suggest

Twayne

"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
> He now has 895 million zeroes in that file. When the messages go
> away, they get filled with zeroes (blanks), so then the file size
> hasn't changed, just the contents. One can test by opening the file
> with Notepad or by zipping it which will shrink it down to almost
> nothing.

Why no response for the OP? Go off-group to have off-topic discussions.