IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers

Trial_and_Error

IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers
Though turned on, IE8 InPrivate Filtering is no longer showing any content
providers. Just reads "No Items to Display." This is only recently happened
on one of three PCs. Security and Privacy settings are the same on all 3 I
believe. I unistalled then reinstalled IE8 to no avail on this PC.
Suggestions?
VanguardLH

Re: IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers
Trial_and_Error wrote:

> Though turned on, IE8 InPrivate Filtering is no longer showing any content
> providers. Just reads "No Items to Display." This is only recently happened
> on one of three PCs. Security and Privacy settings are the same on all 3 I
> believe. I unistalled then reinstalled IE8 to no avail on this PC.
> Suggestions?

Since InPrivate Filtering gets disabled on the first load of IE8 and
remains active only after enabling it and for as long as you leave IE8
loaded, that the list got cleared is normal operation. InPrivate
Filtering only lasts as long as your browsing session.

Add "Open in InPrivate Window" Option to the Right-Click Menu in
Internet Explorer 8:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/op...lick-menu-ie8/

"Internet Explorer Namespace icon - InPrivate mode as default action"
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ho...de-by-default/

"Create a Shortcut to Open IE8 Browser in InPrivate Mode"
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...nprivate-mode/

Always enable InPrivate Filtering:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dmart/archive/...y-default.aspx

If the problem is not that InPrivate Filtering is disabled by default on
startup of IE8 but that its list is getting cleared then I'd start
checking what cleanup or security programs got installed on the
problematic host. The user might have installed a program that cleans
up the web browser's data and that would include this history list
(i.e., the content providers).

The default number of sites that must be visited to experience the SAME
3rd party content provider decides which ones you see in the list. It
can take awhile of web browsing before you hit enough sites that
incorporate the same content provider before that content provider shows
up in the InPrivate Filtering list. The default is 10 sites. That is,
the threshold to show up (and be eligible for blocking) in the list is
10 sites that you have visited who use that same content provider. You
might have to visit 10 sites or maybe several thousand sites before you
hit 10 that share the same content provider. If you lower the threshold
to, say, 3 days, entries will show up that weren't in eligible at the
10-site threshold. The lower the threshold, the more likely a content
provider gets listed but also the more likely that it is not a very
intrusive content provider. You have to decide what threshold you want
to configure for the InPrivate Filter.

The 10-site threshold may simply be too high for the number of sites
that the user has visited WHILE the the InPrivate Filter was enabled.
If you lower the threshold, you'll probably see more sites show up as
eligible for blocking. However, the lower the threshold the more likely
you'll nail content that you really do want to see. This is NOT an
ad-blocking filter per se and shouldn't be considered for use that way.
As the description says when you look at the list, "If you chose to
block content, portions of the websites you visit might not be
available."
Trial_and_Error

Re: IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers
Yes, thank you I knew that. I was careful to first read all postings on this
topic. Even though I turned the filter on for each session, it is no longer
functioning. Some setting has changed somewhere. I gave up and have instead
imported an xml file with a static list. Would prefer for the learning
solution. What's odd is that the InPrivate filter is working on our other two
PCs.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> [...]

> to, say, 3 days, entries will show up that weren't in eligible at the
> 10-site threshold. The lower the threshold, the more likely a content
> provider gets listed but also the more likely that it is not a very
> intrusive content provider. You have to decide what threshold you want
> to configure for the InPrivate Filter.
>
> The 10-site threshold may simply be too high for the number of sites
> that the user has visited WHILE the the InPrivate Filter was enabled.
> If you lower the threshold, you'll probably see more sites show up as
> eligible for blocking. However, the lower the threshold the more likely
> you'll nail content that you really do want to see. This is NOT an
> ad-blocking filter per se and shouldn't be considered for use that way.
> As the description says when you look at the list, "If you chose to
> block content, portions of the websites you visit might not be

Trial_and_Error

Re: IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers
More...my suspicion was that it was an update somewhere but I could not
isolate it. The list of content providers is not repopulating at all, but the
imported xml static list is fine for now.

Trial_and_Error wrote:

> Even though I turned the filter on for each session, it is no longer
> functioning. Some setting has changed somewhere. I gave up and have instead
> imported an xml file with a static list. Would prefer for the learning
> solution. What's odd is that the InPrivate filter is working on our other two
> PCs.

Did you try setting the threshold down from the default of 10 sites (for
the common content) to 3 (its minimum setting)? It can take quite
awhile to repopulate that list at a higher threshold. You have to visit
enough sites where they all share that common content. If the threshold
is set to 10, a content provider won't show up in the list until you hit
10 sites with that SAME content. It could take you dozens, hundreds, or
maybe thousands of sites before you hit 10 that got common content from
the SAME place. But it would take a far less number of visited sites if
the threshold were moved down to 3.

I have over 700 sites in my Favorites list. After visiting all of them,
and at the 10 site threshold, I saw no sites that were eligible at that
threshold. As I moved the threshold down (and without having to visit
any more sites), more sites showed up in the list. They were already
there but weren't eligible at the higher threshold for blocking. See my
earlier post at:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e0ac85a38b9c29

In the above test, I visited 761 different sites (to see which had
common content) to see just a few content providers at the reduced
threshold of 9 sites that shared that common content. I don't know how
many sites you fed through IE8 in having it try to find that common
content.
Trial_and_Error

Re: IE8 InPrivateFiltering not listing content providers
Yes, thank you. I had the threshhold at 3 as previously and went quickly
through my favorites, returning several times to the same sites over several
days. Should have found some common content providers since many ads are the
same (or same content provider like adgardener). I know it is just some box
somewhere in some update that I accidentally checked. I do find the InPrivate
Filtering the most effective ad blocker. The static list is working well for
now, and I will teach myself how to update the xml file. Thanks again for all
your help. I very much appreciate these discussion boards as I continue to
learn by trial and error (mostly error).