IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs

+Bob+

IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
I have a performance issue with IE. It's painfully slow when accessing
disk based web sites across a network share e.g.
file:///V:/testweb/index.htm where V: is a shared network drive. The
problem exists on multiple systems on my network, including an XP
machine with IE8. I can wait 4 seconds (simple page) to 30 seconds
(fancier page with small 60K Flash included) for a page to completely
load.

If I run Firefox on the same machines, the pages pop almost instantly.
If I access the sites from the same client, but via the servers web
server e.g. http://testweb/index.htm it is lightning fast (Exact same
directory, but pulled through the web server instead of direct from
the folders).

The server is a stand alone win2003 machine doing little but file
sharing. No A/D, clients log in with username/password that matches
server accounts. There are no other network performance issues on the
systems or network. The network is up and active, and repeat/recent
access does not clear the problem. The problem has persisted for over
a year.

Any ideas?

rob^_^

Re: IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
Hi Bob,

"My Computer" is a hidden security zone. FX does not use security zones.

The file and http protocol handlers are different. Check Internet Options -
Security tab, Local Intranet, Sites button, and check "Automatically detect
intranet network".

Make sure that you have not placed any of your local intranet servers uri's
in your Trusted Sites List.

Regards.

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
> I have a performance issue with IE. It's painfully slow when accessing
> disk based web sites across a network share e.g.
> file:///V:/testweb/index.htm where V: is a shared network drive. The
> problem exists on multiple systems on my network, including an XP
> machine with IE8. I can wait 4 seconds (simple page) to 30 seconds
> (fancier page with small 60K Flash included) for a page to completely
> load.
>
> If I run Firefox on the same machines, the pages pop almost instantly.
> If I access the sites from the same client, but via the servers web
> server e.g. http://testweb/index.htm it is lightning fast (Exact same
> directory, but pulled through the web server instead of direct from
> the folders).
>
> The server is a stand alone win2003 machine doing little but file
> sharing. No A/D, clients log in with username/password that matches
> server accounts. There are no other network performance issues on the
> systems or network. The network is up and active, and repeat/recent
> access does not clear the problem. The problem has persisted for over
> a year.
>
> Any ideas?

+Bob+

Re: IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 05:38:48 +1000, "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>"My Computer" is a hidden security zone. FX does not use security zones.
>
>The file and http protocol handlers are different. Check Internet Options -
>Security tab, Local Intranet, Sites button, and check "Automatically detect
>intranet network".
>
>Make sure that you have not placed any of your local intranet servers uri's
>in your Trusted Sites List.

Rob:

Interesting. At one point I had the local server (file:\\\myserver)
added as a trusted site. It was the only way I could get Vista to stop
warning me every time I tried to run a program from a network share
and MS-Access would not run to a d/b on a share without that done
(security warning). The "automatic" option didn't cut it, but manually
adding the server to the trusted zone worked.

Along the way I've reset IE a few times and it wiped that setting out.
(Oddly, Access is still working :-).

I just checked the option you suggested and it made a big difference.
That seems counterintuitive - if i tell IE exactly which servers to
trust on the Intranet, shouldn't it run faster than if I tell it to
figure it out on its own? Can you explain more why this setting seems
to improve things? I already had "include all UNC's / Network Paths"
checked - shouldn't that have covered it?

Thanks,
+Bob+

Re: IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:55:54 -0400, +Bob+ <nomailplease@example.com>
wrote:

>I just checked the option you suggested and it made a big difference.
>That seems counterintuitive - if i tell IE exactly which servers to
>trust on the Intranet, shouldn't it run faster than if I tell it to
>figure it out on its own? Can you explain more why this setting seems
>to improve things? I already had "include all UNC's / Network Paths"
>checked - shouldn't that have covered it?

Following my own post: Seems like there is no happy medium here. It's
fast if I turn on the Auto-Detect option as long as I don't have the
server listed in Local Intranet Sites. However, without the server
listed in there, every program that runs from the network share throws
a "do you really want to run this" option and MS-Access will not open
a d/b from the share.

If I add the site to the Local Intranet, the security issues go away.
However, IE goes back to dead-slow opening files from the drive.

Is there some way to tell IE "everything on this drive is fine and
don't spend 30 seconds inspecting it" ?
rob^_^

Re: IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
Hi Bob,

These are File/Folder shares not shared web server folders?

Have you allowed Anonymous access to your intranet sites? Are you using user
Authentication on the server side?

> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:55:54 -0400, +Bob+ <nomailplease@example.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I just checked the option you suggested and it made a big difference.
>>That seems counterintuitive - if i tell IE exactly which servers to
>>trust on the Intranet, shouldn't it run faster than if I tell it to
>>figure it out on its own? Can you explain more why this setting seems
>>to improve things? I already had "include all UNC's / Network Paths"
>>checked - shouldn't that have covered it?
>>

> Following my own post: Seems like there is no happy medium here. It's
> fast if I turn on the Auto-Detect option as long as I don't have the
> server listed in Local Intranet Sites. However, without the server
> listed in there, every program that runs from the network share throws
> a "do you really want to run this" option and MS-Access will not open
> a d/b from the share.
>
> If I add the site to the Local Intranet, the security issues go away.
> However, IE goes back to dead-slow opening files from the drive.
>
> Is there some way to tell IE "everything on this drive is fine and
> don't spend 30 seconds inspecting it" ?

+Bob+

Re: IE painfully slow accessing network drive based webs
(Sorry, fell off this truck for a while)

They are standard file shares. I share a high level folder and the
"web sites" are all folders one level below that. So, the share is
"X:", the web folders are x:\site1, x:\site2, etc.

Anonymous access is allowed to the sites through the web server. In
fact, if I pull the files through the server using an http:// URL they
are very fast. It's when I try to bring up a page through the share
that they are slow e.g. file:///x:/site1/index.htm

The server is stand alone, no A/D. Authentication to file share
purposes is done by having matching user names and passwords
(accounts) on the client's and the server.