IE8 hangs on Page->send page/link by email

drb48

IE8 hangs on Page->send page/link by email
Vista x64 OS. Since upgrading to IE8, trying to use the Page->send page/link
by email will hang the 32-bit version of the browser UNLESS the mail program
- Outlook 2007 - is already running. This behavior is NOT exhibited with the
64-bit version of the browser. And, I'm currently stuck with the 32-bit
version of IE as the default as Flash isn't supported in the 64-bit version.
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 hangs on Page->send page/link by email
Hi,
Is Outlook the default e-mail program?

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-computer.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]:

"drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista x64 OS. Since upgrading to IE8, trying to use the Page->send

page/link
> by email will hang the 32-bit version of the browser UNLESS the mail

program
> - Outlook 2007 - is already running. This behavior is NOT exhibited with

the
> 64-bit version of the browser. And, I'm currently stuck with the 32-bit
> version of IE as the default as Flash isn't supported in the 64-bit

version.

drb48

Re: IE8 hangs on Page->send page/link by email
Yes, Outlook IS the default mail program. The bug isn't that "nothing
happens" as in the referenced link, but that BAD stuff happens - i.e. the
browser hangs, eventually getting the "not responding" message and has to be
killed via the task manager. And ONLY the 32-bit version of IE8 and ONLY if
Outlook 2007 isn't ALREADY running.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Is Outlook the default e-mail program?
>
> See
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-computer.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]:
>
> "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista x64 OS. Since upgrading to IE8, trying to use the Page->send

> page/link
> > by email will hang the 32-bit version of the browser UNLESS the mail

> program
> > - Outlook 2007 - is already running. This behavior is NOT exhibited with

> the
> > 64-bit version of the browser. And, I'm currently stuck with the 32-bit
> > version of IE as the default as Flash isn't supported in the 64-bit

> version.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 hangs on Page->send page/link by email
Hi,
It still sounds like IE8 isn't convinced that Outlook is the default a-mail
program.

I would check:
1. Control Panel> Default Programs> Associate a file type> Protocols> MAIL
TO, Is Outlook the default?

2. In Control Panel> Programs and Features, if you select Outlook, is there
a repair option?

3. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, a browser add-on is causing the problem.

For troubleshooting information see:

4. Does the problem persist if third-party security programs are disabled?
Starting up in Safe Mode with Networking is an easy way to test this.
Start Vista in Safe Mode
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
or
http://snipr.com/vistasafe

news746CAE5-2326-429F-8AA9-489AD7FBA1CB@microsoft.com...
> Yes, Outlook IS the default mail program. The bug isn't that "nothing
> happens" as in the referenced link, but that BAD stuff happens - i.e. the
> browser hangs, eventually getting the "not responding" message and has to

be
> killed via the task manager. And ONLY the 32-bit version of IE8 and ONLY

if
> Outlook 2007 isn't ALREADY running.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Is Outlook the default e-mail program?
> >
> > See

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-computer.html

> > "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Vista x64 OS. Since upgrading to IE8, trying to use the Page->send

> > page/link
> > > by email will hang the 32-bit version of the browser UNLESS the mail

> > program
> > > - Outlook 2007 - is already running. This behavior is NOT exhibited

with
> > the
> > > 64-bit version of the browser. And, I'm currently stuck with the

32-bit
> > > version of IE as the default as Flash isn't supported in the 64-bit

> > version.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:%23uh2YpnLKHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> It still sounds like IE8 isn't convinced that Outlook is the default a-mail
> program.

Don,

C.f. (perhaps related but more understandable symptoms?)

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-d2e0e166818b

Briefly that thread discusses a security prompt that IE gives the
default mail client in Vista when Protected Mode is on.

In fact, I just realized that I haven't tested this thread's particular case yet.
I was just testing using mailto: as a simulation of the reported symptom.

I think there is definitely something funny happening in Vista though.
Note that I thought I could use WLMail in W7 to simulate that prompt
but haven't been able to yet. I may install Outlook in W7 just to check
on differences that way too.

FYI

Robert
---

> I would check:
> 1. Control Panel> Default Programs> Associate a file type> Protocols> MAIL
> TO, Is Outlook the default?
>
> 2. In Control Panel> Programs and Features, if you select Outlook, is there
> a repair option?
>
> 3. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, a browser add-on is causing the problem.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorers (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 4. Does the problem persist if third-party security programs are disabled?
> Starting up in Safe Mode with Networking is an easy way to test this.
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news746CAE5-2326-429F-8AA9-489AD7FBA1CB@microsoft.com...
>> Yes, Outlook IS the default mail program. The bug isn't that "nothing
>> happens" as in the referenced link, but that BAD stuff happens - i.e. the
>> browser hangs, eventually getting the "not responding" message and has to

> be
>> killed via the task manager. And ONLY the 32-bit version of IE8 and ONLY

> if
>> Outlook 2007 isn't ALREADY running.

>> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Is Outlook the default e-mail program?
>> >
>> > See
>> >

> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-computer.html
>> >

>> > "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > page/link
>> > program

> with
>> > the

> 32-bit
>> > version.

drb48

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> It still sounds like IE8 isn't convinced that Outlook is the default a-mail
> program.
>
> I would check:
> 1. Control Panel> Default Programs> Associate a file type> Protocols> MAIL
> TO, Is Outlook the default?

Yes

> 2. In Control Panel> Programs and Features, if you select Outlook, is there
> a repair option?

No

> 3. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, a browser add-on is causing the problem.

Tried that, no change.

> 4. Does the problem persist if third-party security programs are disabled?
> Starting up in Safe Mode with Networking is an easy way to test this.
> Start Vista in Safe Mode
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
> or
> http://snipr.com/vistasafe
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news746CAE5-2326-429F-8AA9-489AD7FBA1CB@microsoft.com...
> > Yes, Outlook IS the default mail program. The bug isn't that "nothing
> > happens" as in the referenced link, but that BAD stuff happens - i.e. the
> > browser hangs, eventually getting the "not responding" message and has to

> be
> > killed via the task manager. And ONLY the 32-bit version of IE8 and ONLY

> if
> > Outlook 2007 isn't ALREADY running.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Is Outlook the default e-mail program?
> > >
> > > See
> > >

> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-computer.html
> > >

> > > "drb48" <drb48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > page/link
> > > program

> with
> > > the

> 32-bit
> > > version.

Your speculation re file associations doesn't seem to be supported by the
evidence. In the first place the 64-bit browser version works fine. And I
checked all that stuff before posting the problem. The problem doesn't seem
to be that IE doesn't know that Outlook 2007 is the mail client but that it
can't launch it and hangs when it trys. If Outlook is already running
though, it works. So the problem IMO is somewhere in the thread of what
happens when the 32-bit version trys to run Outlook.