IE8 and java

Tony Williams

IE8 and java
I'm getting a lot of pages loaded with java errors. The page loads and in the
bottom left hand corner of the IE window its says Done but an explanantion
mark. When I click on it it invariable says that it is a java error.
I'm running the latest version of IE8 and Java 6, Anyone any ideas?
EG one site I get it on is the BBC site (www.bbc.co.uk) and I'm surprised if
their site was java compatible.
Cheers
Tony
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 and java
This is an old and amusing story (if computers amuse you.)

The short story is: Ignore it. You can prevent the messages from
appearing altogether in Internet Options > Advanced tab.

The longer story is: At one time, Microsoft wrote its own version of
Java, which it later folded by court order (or a consent decree, I
forget which.) The intent of the messages was to warn developers who
were writing for the Microsoft version of Java that their code contains
errors. For some reason (possibly valid, possibly not) it's still
possible to show the error messages.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Tony Williams wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of pages loaded with java errors. The page loads and in the
> bottom left hand corner of the IE window its says Done but an explanantion
> mark. When I click on it it invariable says that it is a java error.
> I'm running the latest version of IE8 and Java 6, Anyone any ideas?
> EG one site I get it on is the BBC site (www.bbc.co.uk) and I'm surprised if
> their site was java compatible.
> Cheers
> Tony

Tony Williams

Re: IE8 and java

Thanks Leonard. I was hoping it was the reason why I can't get into some
site pages because of a java error.
Pity
Tony
"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> This is an old and amusing story (if computers amuse you.)
>
> The short story is: Ignore it. You can prevent the messages from
> appearing altogether in Internet Options > Advanced tab.
>
> The longer story is: At one time, Microsoft wrote its own version of
> Java, which it later folded by court order (or a consent decree, I
> forget which.) The intent of the messages was to warn developers who
> were writing for the Microsoft version of Java that their code contains
> errors. For some reason (possibly valid, possibly not) it's still
> possible to show the error messages.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Tony Williams wrote:
> > I'm getting a lot of pages loaded with java errors. The page loads and in the
> > bottom left hand corner of the IE window its says Done but an explanantion
> > mark. When I click on it it invariable says that it is a java error.
> > I'm running the latest version of IE8 and Java 6, Anyone any ideas?
> > EG one site I get it on is the BBC site (www.bbc.co.uk) and I'm surprised if
> > their site was java compatible.
> > Cheers
> > Tony

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and java
"Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA62403D-5100-4695-9F31-3CCCD8DBFBDD@microsoft.com...
> I'm getting a lot of pages loaded with java errors. The page loads and in the
> bottom left hand corner of the IE window its says Done but an explanantion
> mark. When I click on it it invariable says that it is a java error.

Are you sure it doesn't say Javascript?
What does the message say *exactly*?
Note that you can capture the details and paste them
instead of giving us your impression of the message.

> I'm running the latest version of IE8 and Java 6, Anyone any ideas?
> EG one site I get it on is the BBC site (www.bbc.co.uk) and I'm surprised if
> their site was java compatible.

That site looks fine to me. Lots of Javascript but no Java.
E.g. as seen by doing View Source, and searching alternately for
Javascript and applet.

> Cheers
> Tony

Tony Williams

Re: IE8 and java
Hi Robert. This is what the message says on one site I'm having problems with.
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
..NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:05 UTC

Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
Line: 214
Char: 7
Code: 0
URI: http://www.cushycms.com/javascripts/....js?1250138932

Message: Invalid argument.
Line: 3966
Char: 7
Code: 0
URI: http://www.cushycms.com/javascripts/....js?1250138932

I don't know anything about Java so don't know where in IE8 I can go to
rectify the problem.
Thanks
Tony

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA62403D-5100-4695-9F31-3CCCD8DBFBDD@microsoft.com...
> > I'm getting a lot of pages loaded with java errors. The page loads and in the
> > bottom left hand corner of the IE window its says Done but an explanantion
> > mark. When I click on it it invariable says that it is a java error.

> Are you sure it doesn't say Javascript?
> What does the message say *exactly*?
> Note that you can capture the details and paste them
> instead of giving us your impression of the message.
>

> > I'm running the latest version of IE8 and Java 6, Anyone any ideas?
> > EG one site I get it on is the BBC site (www.bbc.co.uk) and I'm surprised if
> > their site was java compatible.

> That site looks fine to me. Lots of Javascript but no Java.
> E.g. as seen by doing View Source, and searching alternately for
> Javascript and applet.
>

> > Cheers
> > Tony

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and java

"Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A443F95E-5DAA-4E2C-96EC-8B92300A0E74@microsoft.com...
> Hi Robert. This is what the message says on one site I'm having problems with.
> Webpage error details
>
> User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
> .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
> Timestamp: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:05 UTC
>

> Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
> Line: 214
> Char: 7
> Code: 0
> URI: http://www.cushycms.com/javascripts/....js?1250138932

http://www.cushycms.com/

works fine in Compatibility mode (which changes the MSIE 8.0
to MSIE 7.0 in the User-Agent string above.)

> I don't know anything about Java so don't know where in IE8 I can go to
> rectify the problem.

As the above URL clearly implies, this is not Java either;
it's Javascript.

HTH

Robert
---

Tony Williams

Re: IE8 and java
Thanks Robert. I guess my problem must be caused by something else. The
strange thing is that I can get into the cushycms editing pages with IE7 but
not IE8 so I'll have to carry on investigating what's happening.
Cheers
Tony

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A443F95E-5DAA-4E2C-96EC-8B92300A0E74@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Robert. This is what the message says on one site I'm having problems with.
> > Webpage error details
> >
> > User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
> > .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> > 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
> > Timestamp: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:05 UTC
> >

> > Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
> > Line: 214
> > Char: 7
> > Code: 0
> > URI: http://www.cushycms.com/javascripts/....js?1250138932

> http://www.cushycms.com/
>
> works fine in Compatibility mode (which changes the MSIE 8.0
> to MSIE 7.0 in the User-Agent string above.)
>

> > I don't know anything about Java so don't know where in IE8 I can go to
> > rectify the problem.

> As the above URL clearly implies, this is not Java either;
> it's Javascript.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and java

"Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BB157B9-3E6A-4825-A319-185E4F544847@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Robert. I guess my problem must be caused by something else. The
> strange thing is that I can get into the cushycms editing pages with IE7 but
> not IE8 so I'll have to carry on investigating what's happening.

You still haven't explicitly said whether you have tried compatibility mode
and what the symptoms are then. Note, for example, as mentioned,
that the User-Agent string *would* be different.

---

> Cheers
> Tony
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "Tony Williams" <TonyWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Robert. This is what the message says on one site I'm having problems with.
>> > Webpage error details
>> >
>> > User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
>> > .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
>> > 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
>> > Timestamp: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:05 UTC
>> >

>> > Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
>> > Line: 214
>> > Char: 7
>> > Code: 0
>> > URI: http://www.cushycms.com/javascripts/....js?1250138932

>> http://www.cushycms.com/
>>
>> works fine in Compatibility mode (which changes the MSIE 8.0
>> to MSIE 7.0 in the User-Agent string above.)
>>

>> > I don't know anything about Java so don't know where in IE8 I can go to
>> > rectify the problem.

>> As the above URL clearly implies, this is not Java either;
>> it's Javascript.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert
>> ---

Tony Williams

Re: IE8 and java
Hi Robert. I have in fact tried in Compatibility Mode and although I didn't
get an error message I still couldn't get into the page I need to, IE8 seems
to look for the page and then just hangs. As I mentioned it works in IE7 and
I've tried in Firefox and that works without any problems at all, so I think
it is an IE8 issue with my installation.
Thanks again
Tony