Better CSS3 support

Ian W Scott

Better CSS3 support
I am a web developer and am frustrated right now by the fact that IE8 is
lagging so far behind in its support for CSS3 design features. On Safari
(Webkit), Firefox (Mozilla), Chrome and (to some extent) Opera I can use the
text-shadow, opacity, gradient, @font-face, and box-shadow features of CSS3.
This is a HUGE time-saver in page coding and also speeds up page-loads since
there are far fewer images to load. But when someone views the page in IE8 it
looks like garbage. I'm not willing to sacrifice the functionality of CSS3,
so for now I'm forced to put a notice on my sites telling people to download
Firefox to view them. I can't see any rational reason why you would not build
support for all of this into what is supposed to be the "best" browser for
Windows. Please, please, please don't wait for IE9 to implement these CSS3
features. Implement them in a maintenance upgrade as soon as humanly possible!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Saucy

Re: Better CSS3 support
Use HTML 4 and CSS 2 instead. They are the current standards.

BTW and IMHO, the Mozilla and Opera groups should fix how FireFox and OPpera
handle some CSS 2 features before they move on to CSS 3. Neither FireFox nor
Opera handle the display : table right and intuitively whereas IE 8 does and
it is a CSS 2 specification. So please please please Mozilla, fix your cr^p
browser.

Saucy

"Ian W Scott" <Ian W Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a web developer and am frustrated right now by the fact that IE8 is
> lagging so far behind in its support for CSS3 design features. On Safari
> (Webkit), Firefox (Mozilla), Chrome and (to some extent) Opera I can use
> the
> text-shadow, opacity, gradient, @font-face, and box-shadow features of
> CSS3.
> This is a HUGE time-saver in page coding and also speeds up page-loads
> since
> there are far fewer images to load. But when someone views the page in IE8
> it
> looks like garbage. I'm not willing to sacrifice the functionality of
> CSS3,
> so for now I'm forced to put a notice on my sites telling people to
> download
> Firefox to view them. I can't see any rational reason why you would not
> build
> support for all of this into what is supposed to be the "best" browser for
> Windows. Please, please, please don't wait for IE9 to implement these CSS3
> features. Implement them in a maintenance upgrade as soon as humanly
> possible!
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Ian W Scott

Re: Better CSS3 support
Well, we can argue about which browser supports the current finalized
standards best. I don't think that is as clear as you seem to. And of course
I know how to do all of this with CSS2. My point is that there are a few
really really helpful features of CSS3 (which are not going to change, even
if CSS3 isn't final yet) that IE is not yet supporting. How many web-sites
use drop-shadows somewhere? How much easier and faster does it make
everything if we can just use a CSS declaration to add that shadow, rather
than having to fight with images? I just don't understand the point of *not*
doing it.

(By the way, if we're touting who's best at CSS2, how about the fact that IE
still doesn't handle padding properly? Just take a look at how many "IE
fixes" there are in CSS tutorials and you realize that IE can hardly claim to
be more standards compliant. But either way, the point is usability for
designers and readers today.)

"Saucy" wrote:

> Use HTML 4 and CSS 2 instead. They are the current standards.
>
> BTW and IMHO, the Mozilla and Opera groups should fix how FireFox and OPpera
> handle some CSS 2 features before they move on to CSS 3. Neither FireFox nor
> Opera handle the display : table right and intuitively whereas IE 8 does and
> it is a CSS 2 specification. So please please please Mozilla, fix your cr^p
> browser.
>
> Saucy
>

> "Ian W Scott" <Ian W Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am a web developer and am frustrated right now by the fact that IE8 is
> > lagging so far behind in its support for CSS3 design features. On Safari
> > (Webkit), Firefox (Mozilla), Chrome and (to some extent) Opera I can use
> > the
> > text-shadow, opacity, gradient, @font-face, and box-shadow features of
> > CSS3.
> > This is a HUGE time-saver in page coding and also speeds up page-loads
> > since
> > there are far fewer images to load. But when someone views the page in IE8
> > it
> > looks like garbage. I'm not willing to sacrifice the functionality of
> > CSS3,
> > so for now I'm forced to put a notice on my sites telling people to
> > download
> > Firefox to view them. I can't see any rational reason why you would not
> > build
> > support for all of this into what is supposed to be the "best" browser for
> > Windows. Please, please, please don't wait for IE9 to implement these CSS3
> > features. Implement them in a maintenance upgrade as soon as humanly
> > possible!
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Saucy

Re: Better CSS3 support
INLINE (Pls. read with good humour or not at all)

> Well, we can argue about which browser supports the current finalized
> standards best.

IE 8 - no argument about that what so ever.

> I don't think that is as clear as you seem to.

Yes, my mind is clearer. Thank you. Take it from a clear mind - forget FF.

> And of course
> I know how to do all of this with CSS2. My point is that there are a few
> really really helpful features of CSS3

Really really or really really really really, really ? Really!? Really.

> (which are not going to change, even
> if CSS3 isn't final yet)

No, it's not - so don't use it on the web.

> that IE is not yet supporting. How many web-sites
> use drop-shadows somewhere?

Fluff.

> How much easier and faster does it make
> everything if we can just use a CSS declaration to add that shadow, rather
> than having to fight with images? I just don't understand the point of
> *not*
> doing it.

I know you don't understand. Let's make it clear: Forget FireFog.

> (By the way, if we're touting who's best at CSS2, how about the fact that
> IE
> still doesn't handle padding properly? Just take a look at how many "IE
> fixes" there are in CSS tutorials and you realize that IE can hardly claim
> be more standards compliant. But either way, the point is usability for
> designers and readers today.)\

Hello - let's talk 2009's IE 8, not 2001's IE 6.

> "Saucy" wrote:
>
>> Use HTML 4 and CSS 2 instead. They are the current standards.
>>
>> BTW and IMHO, the Mozilla and Opera groups should fix how FireFox and
>> OPpera
>> handle some CSS 2 features before they move on to CSS 3. Neither FireFox
>> nor
>> Opera handle the display : table right and intuitively whereas IE 8 does
>> and
>> it is a CSS 2 specification. So please please please Mozilla, fix your
>> cr^p
>> browser.
>>
>> Saucy
>>

>> "Ian W Scott" <Ian W Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> < chop chop >

I hope my comments have helped clear things up for you. Use current
standards, not proposed standards. And use the browser that 100% implements
those standards according to W3, namely IE 8 - the only browser running in
Protected Mode, BTW. Have a nice day.

Saucy

tbandrow

Re: Better CSS3 support

> Use HTML 4 and CSS 2 instead. They are the current standards.

This answer is completely unacceptable. In case you haven't noticed, the
economy totally stinks and advertising revenues are plunging and web
developers are using the -moz and -webkit CSS3 tags to attract attention. I
do not know anyone who is in their right mind who is not using CSS3 tags
where they can.

Why is it that Microsoft, who had no problem butchering every open standard
there is for decades, to get market share by adding cool new features, so
content to let every other web browser do it to them?

Let's just put out how insane this is:

RoundRect( )

Windows SDK has a draw rounded rectangle call in it and has had it since,
what, Windows 3.1. For a browser that doesn't have to be OS portable, why
not just make that call for that tag?

It's at a point now where teams are just telling customers that they will
support IE8, but the best user experience will be in FireFox or webkit based
browsers.