IE Mobile cacheing but still same page processing time?

CRT

IE Mobile cacheing but still same page processing time?
Hello,
I am developing a web app (that includes some external .JS) files that are
reasonably large (page shows as just under 800k on the progress bar in PIE),
and I had originally thought that my caching was off because it still took
the whole 12s or so to get the page displayed after the first load, but I
attached Fiddler to it and noticed that it wasn't actually downloading the
full 800k every time, but the progress bar still went there..
Can anyone shed any light on what's going on and how I can get the page to
finish showing itself faster if it already has the files in cache?
thx.
CRT.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE Mobile cacheing but still same page processing time?

"CRT" <CRT@someplace.com> wrote in message news:278CE28A-19AB-4AA3-9B99-43133D07E3ED@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am developing a web app (that includes some external .JS) files that are
> reasonably large (page shows as just under 800k on the progress bar in PIE),
> and I had originally thought that my caching was off because it still took
> the whole 12s or so to get the page displayed after the first load,

> but I attached Fiddler to it and noticed that it wasn't actually downloading the
> full 800k every time, but the progress bar still went there..

> Can anyone shed any light on what's going on

Fiddler should show you how long the response to the cache-checking is taking.

> and how I can get the page to
> finish showing itself faster if it already has the files in cache?

Set Work Offline, and reshow (not refresh) the page.
Otherwise set cache-checking off. Tools, Options, Settings, Never.
(Alt-T,O,Alt-S,N)

> thx.
> CRT.

CRT

Re: IE Mobile cacheing but still same page processing time?
Thx Rob, I appreciate the response, but it's IE Mobile (per subject line),
or Pocket IE, or PIE, (or whatever anyone wants to call it) on WM6..
CRT.

> Set Work Offline, and reshow (not refresh) the page.
> Otherwise set cache-checking off. Tools, Options, Settings, Never.
> (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,N)

Werner \Menneisyys\ Ruotsalainen [MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices]

Re: IE Mobile cacheing but still same page processing time?
Rendering the page, including parsing it and building up the DOM
representation in the RAM, takes a lot of time - much-much more than
fetching it over the net. This is why, BTW, there used to be so big
differences between, say, Opera Mobile and PIE running under WM2003, OM
being much better. (The difference is much smaller now, though.)

You might want to consider breaking up the page into several smaller to
reduce both loading times and memory usage (which, with IEM under WM5+, is
at least 6-7Mbyte with a 800k source page).

Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.