Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro

~*Laughingstar 2009*~

Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro
Last month, this went smoothly. This month, it will not work at all, not
even drag and drop. I'm chagrined - done it many times, but this month -
nada!

DVD/CD-R is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B and "device is working properly" (or
so it says).

I used to use Roxio but it was cumbersome, at best.

Help please. Thank you - again!

MHL

Re: Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro
So, you used to use Roxio and it worked? What do you use now?

It may also be the drive that is the problem.

"~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> Last month, this went smoothly. This month, it will not work at all, not
> even drag and drop. I'm chagrined - done it many times, but this month -
> nada!
>
> DVD/CD-R is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B and "device is working properly" (or
> so it says).
>
> I used to use Roxio but it was cumbersome, at best.
>
> Help please. Thank you - again!

~*Laughingstar 2009*~

MHL wrote:
> So, you used to use Roxio and it worked? What do you use now?

Nothing, since Roxio did not function well, moreover, I just noticed it did
not transfer all files/folders in the last back up. However, I created a DVD
in interim, and it plays fine, as well as one audio I did of speeches.

I tried to drag and drop from My Documents to my D: drive (DVD/RW) however,
at times it is reading CD not DVD, even when a blank, new DVD is in the
compartment.
Thank you.

> It may also be the drive that is the problem.
>
> "~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>> Last month, this went smoothly. This month, it will not work at all,
>> not even drag and drop. I'm chagrined - done it many times, but this
>> month - nada!
>>
>> DVD/CD-R is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B and "device is working
>> properly" (or so it says).
>>
>> I used to use Roxio but it was cumbersome, at best.
>>
>> Help please. Thank you - again!

MHL

Re: Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro
Sorry, can't help you.....

> MHL wrote:
>> So, you used to use Roxio and it worked? What do you use now?
>>

> Nothing, since Roxio did not function well, moreover, I just noticed it
> did not transfer all files/folders in the last back up. However, I created
> a DVD in interim, and it plays fine, as well as one audio I did of
> speeches.
>
> I tried to drag and drop from My Documents to my D: drive (DVD/RW)
> however, at times it is reading CD not DVD, even when a blank, new DVD is
> in the compartment.
> Thank you.
>
>> It may also be the drive that is the problem.
>>
>> "~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>>> Last month, this went smoothly. This month, it will not work at all,
>>> not even drag and drop. I'm chagrined - done it many times, but this
>>> month - nada!
>>>
>>> DVD/CD-R is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B and "device is working
>>> properly" (or so it says).
>>>
>>> I used to use Roxio but it was cumbersome, at best.
>>>
>>> Help please. Thank you - again!

Gordon

Re: Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro

"~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> MHL wrote:
>> So, you used to use Roxio and it worked? What do you use now?
>>

> Nothing, since Roxio did not function well, moreover, I just noticed it
> did not transfer all files/folders in the last back up. However, I created
> a DVD in interim, and it plays fine, as well as one audio I did of
> speeches.

I suspect that you have some other DVD authoring application on your
computer because of the reply below:

> I tried to drag and drop from My Documents to my D: drive (DVD/RW)
> however, at times it is reading CD not DVD, even when a blank, new DVD is
> in the compartment.
> Thank you.

XP won't natively either recognise or burn to DVD at all.

~*Laughingstar 2009*~

Gordon wrote:
> "~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>> MHL wrote:
>>> So, you used to use Roxio and it worked? What do you use now?
>>>

>> Nothing, since Roxio did not function well, moreover, I just noticed
>> it did not transfer all files/folders in the last back up. However,
>> I created a DVD in interim, and it plays fine, as well as one audio
>> I did of speeches.

> I suspect that you have some other DVD authoring application on your
> computer because of the reply below:
>

>> I tried to drag and drop from My Documents to my D: drive (DVD/RW)
>> however, at times it is reading CD not DVD, even when a blank, new
>> DVD is in the compartment.
>> Thank you.

> XP won't natively either recognise or burn to DVD at all.

I thought so, too, and did a Search for any other proggie.

Bob Eyster

Re: Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro
"~*Laughingstar 2009*~" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> Last month, this went smoothly. This month, it will not work at all, not
> even drag and drop. I'm chagrined - done it many times, but this month -
> nada!
>
> DVD/CD-R is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B and "device is working properly" (or
> so it says).
>
> I used to use Roxio but it was cumbersome, at best.
>
> Help please. Thank you - again!

Try this, it has always work for me.

Go to MS' KB and look up Article ID 929461. It says Windows Vista but it
will work for XP also. ALWAYS before messing with the registry back it up
first.

I found it in my KB. Here it what you need to do.

RESOLUTION

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore
the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this,
follow these steps:

1.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click
regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation,
type your password, or click Continue.

2.
Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is
mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate
registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters
values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure
that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3.
In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5.
In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters
registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD
recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected
programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine
whether an update is available for the program.

For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click the
appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:

65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software vendor
contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software vendor
contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software vendor
contact information, Q-Z

--
Bob Eyster
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 - 32 Bit - IE8

~*Laughingstar 2009*~

Bob Eyster wrote:
> [...]

> Delete.
>
> 6.
> Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry
> entry.
>
> 7.
> Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
>

> Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the
> LowerFilters
> registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such
> as CD
> recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected
> programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to
> determine
> whether an update is available for the program.
>
> For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click
> the
> appropriate article number in the following list to view the article

Oh, gracious - copied this -- thank YOU: however what is KB, please? I tried
to b/u using the MS instructions
(http://www.microsoft.com/uk/smallbus...rry-later.mspx)
and I have XP Pro, but the only option I had was A drive AND FLOPPIES!!!!
Heavens, I don't even own one any more.

Should I re-install XP Pro???

~*Laughingstar 2009*~

Re: Backing up HD to DVD with XP Pro
ps I do know how to Sys Restore! ;0)

Bob Eyster wrote:
> [...]

> Delete.
>
> 6.
> Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry
> entry.
>
> 7.
> Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
>

> Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the
> LowerFilters
> registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such
> as CD
> recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected
> programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to
> determine
> whether an update is available for the program.
>
> For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click
> the
> appropriate article number in the following list to view the article

Bob Eyster

> [...]

>> the
>> appropriate article number in the following list to view the article
>> in the
>> Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>>
>> 65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software
>> vendor
>> contact information, A-K
>>
>> 60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software
>> vendor
>> contact information, L-P
>>
>> 60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software
>> vendor
>> contact information, Q-Z

> Oh, gracious - copied this -- thank YOU: however what is KB, please? I
> tried to b/u using the MS instructions
> (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/smallbus...rry-later.mspx)
> and I have XP Pro, but the only option I had was A drive AND FLOPPIES!!!!

KB stands for Knowledge Base. To back up the registry; go to Start > Run
(type in regedit and press the enter key) Once Regedit has loaded click on
File and select Export. Type in a name (regbackup) and save it to your
desktop. Then follow the instructions I sent you. These instructions has
always fixed any CD/DVD problem I've had. It fixed problems where it didn't
see the drives at all and also recognizing a DVD drive as a CD drive only

If this doesn't work try System Restore. If system restore doesn't work and
you feel you need to re-install XP. If it were me I'd go out and buy a new
CD/DVD drive. You can get them for under a $100.00 ducks except for Blue Ray
drives.