Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?

George

Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Hi

I have a piece of software (Coffee Cup HTML Editor) that has a small bug
when used in conjunction with IE8. The developers are aware of it, but don't
envisage having a fix in the near future and have advised that the bug does
not occur with IE7 or earlier. My question is can I have IE8 and IE7 (or
earlier) resident on one PC, and switch to the earlier IE when using the
Coffee Cup Editor?

I suspect not, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

George
Leonard Grey

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Two ways:

1- Dual boot.
2- Virtual machine.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

George wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a piece of software (Coffee Cup HTML Editor) that has a small bug
> when used in conjunction with IE8. The developers are aware of it, but don't
> envisage having a fix in the near future and have advised that the bug does
> not occur with IE7 or earlier. My question is can I have IE8 and IE7 (or
> earlier) resident on one PC, and switch to the earlier IE when using the
> Coffee Cup Editor?
>
> I suspect not, but any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> George

Saucy

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
You haven't mentioned the "Compatibility View" capability of IE 8:

Click IE 8's Compatibility View button and the website is rendered as if
using the IE 7 rendering engine.

BUT IN YOUR CASE, you can even put a little META tag directive in the HTML
code in your website's pages so that when any IE 8 rendering engine goes to
process it it will be rendered using "Compatibility View", that is, in IE 7
mode. Then the Coffee Cup editor might work - 'worth a try anyway.

Here's the meta tag:

Here's a website explaining it:

[IE 8 Compatibility - Should You Be Worried? ]
http://lynnepope.net/ie-8-compatibility-view

Saucy

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3C1D8D4-B7EE-4B88-AE52-8579E6F8B950@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I have a piece of software (Coffee Cup HTML Editor) that has a small bug
> when used in conjunction with IE8. The developers are aware of it, but
> don't
> envisage having a fix in the near future and have advised that the bug
> does
> not occur with IE7 or earlier. My question is can I have IE8 and IE7 (or
> earlier) resident on one PC, and switch to the earlier IE when using the
> Coffee Cup Editor?
>
> I suspect not, but any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> George

George

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Thanks guys for your responses.

Saucy, sorry I should have been more specific. When I say I have a problem
with Coffee Cup/IE8, it's specifically when working on a project in the
WYSIWYG visual editor part of Coffee Cup. The project doesn't display
properly at that point, not when it's published. The folk at Coffee Cup told
me they've identified IE8 as causing the problem, but they themselves have no
idea yet how to fix it. Their only advice is to have IE7 or earlier
installed when using the CC software.

George

"Saucy" wrote:

> You haven't mentioned the "Compatibility View" capability of IE 8:
>
> Click IE 8's Compatibility View button and the website is rendered as if
> using the IE 7 rendering engine.
>
> BUT IN YOUR CASE, you can even put a little META tag directive in the HTML
> code in your website's pages so that when any IE 8 rendering engine goes to
> process it it will be rendered using "Compatibility View", that is, in IE 7
> mode. Then the Coffee Cup editor might work - 'worth a try anyway.
>
> Here's the meta tag:

> Here's a website explaining it:
>
> [IE 8 Compatibility - Should You Be Worried? ]
> http://lynnepope.net/ie-8-compatibility-view
>
> Saucy
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3C1D8D4-B7EE-4B88-AE52-8579E6F8B950@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a piece of software (Coffee Cup HTML Editor) that has a small bug
> > when used in conjunction with IE8. The developers are aware of it, but
> > don't
> > envisage having a fix in the near future and have advised that the bug
> > does
> > not occur with IE7 or earlier. My question is can I have IE8 and IE7 (or
> > earlier) resident on one PC, and switch to the earlier IE when using the
> > Coffee Cup Editor?
> >
> > I suspect not, but any suggestions would be welcome.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > George

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Isn't that ringing endorsement for Coffee Cup? <eg>

George wrote:
> ...The folk at Coffee Cup
> told me they've identified IE8 as causing the problem, but they themselves
> have no idea yet how to fix it. Their only advice is to have IE7 or
> earlier
> installed when using the CC software.

George

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Yes, it's a pathetic response from Coffee Cup, and I'd quite happily tell
them where to shove it if I didn't need the software.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Isn't that ringing endorsement for Coffee Cup? <eg>
>
> George wrote:
> > ...The folk at Coffee Cup
> > told me they've identified IE8 as causing the problem, but they themselves
> > have no idea yet how to fix it. Their only advice is to have IE7 or
> > earlier
> > installed when using the CC software.

Saucy

Re: Can I have IE7 and 8 on the same PC?
Well, consider a virtual machine (VM). Microsoft's VM software is good --
even better is if you use the latest Virtual PC on Windows 7 running on a
computer with the new virtualization hardware enabled. This is what I do and
like it.