IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory

Bubey

IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7. I
upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new tricks.
Just takes awhile.
My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running. My
memory is down to
50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the postings
that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
correct the loss of memory problem?
Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Bubey

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
PS....I am running Window Defender and AVG ? Is that too much. I have
always run
AVG without he loss of Memory problem.........I also just noticed my real
email addrs is
showing. How can I change it? Bubey

"Bubey" <nneldred@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7. I
> upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
> It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
> tricks. Just takes awhile.
> My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running. My
> memory is down to
> 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the postings
> that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
> correct the loss of memory problem?
> Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
Open Task Manager...what process is using most of the CPU's resources
when you feel that your hard drive is constantly running?

Something to keep in mind: Windows and/or your software perform many
tasks in the background, which is completely normal.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bubey wrote:
> O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7.
> I upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
> It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
> tricks. Just takes awhile.
> My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running.
> My memory is down to
> 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the
> postings that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And
> how can I correct the loss of memory problem?
> Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

it)?

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

www.banthecheck.com

Bubey wrote:
> O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7. I
> upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
> It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
> tricks.
> Just takes awhile.
> My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running. My
> memory is down to
> 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the postings
> that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
> correct the loss of memory problem?
> Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Bob

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Bubey wrote:
> > O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7. I
> > upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
> > It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
> > tricks.
> > Just takes awhile.
> > My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running. My
> > memory is down to
> > 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the postings
> > that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
> > correct the loss of memory problem?
> > Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Bob

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
Untill Microsoft comes up with a fix for IE8 I would suggest you use Firefox
or Google Chrome as this problem is linked to IE8. I have never seen more
than 80k of memory use in either one. IE8 is useless most of the time.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Bubey wrote:
> > O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7. I
> > upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
> > It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
> > tricks.
> > Just takes awhile.
> > My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running. My
> > memory is down to
> > 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the postings
> > that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
> > correct the loss of memory problem?
> > Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
Why do you reply to my post? I'm not having any problems.

Bob wrote:
> Untill Microsoft comes up with a fix for IE8 I would suggest you use
> Firefox
> or Google Chrome as this problem is linked to IE8. I have never seen more
> than 80k of memory use in either one. IE8 is useless most of the time.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Bubey wrote:
>>> O.K....I did it. I'm now using Vista Home Edition, waiting for Win 7.
>>> upgraded to IE 8 & Windows Mail.
>>> It is like OE, I guess you can teach an old dog (PC since 1985) new
>>> tricks.
>>> Just takes awhile.
>>> My Question: It now seems that my hard drive is continually running.
>>> My
>>> memory is down to
>>> 50% so I can't do much. I have 2 GB Memory. I have seen on the
>>> postings
>>> that this might be the problem. What to you guys think? And how can I
>>> correct the loss of memory problem?
>>> Thanks in advance for the help! Bubey

Bob

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
This problem also happens with my other computer running XP SP3 and IE8
everything is updated and current, but both computers run perfectly with
Firefox and the Vista SP2 runs perfectly with Firefox or Google chrome. IE8
is junk.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why do you reply to my post? I'm not having any problems.
>
> Bob wrote:
> > Untill Microsoft comes up with a fix for IE8 I would suggest you use
> > Firefox
> > or Google Chrome as this problem is linked to IE8. I have never seen more
> > than 80k of memory use in either one. IE8 is useless most of the time.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >>
> >> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >>
> >> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> >> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
> >> December
> >> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> >> non-domain
> >> environment.
> >> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> >> => Other locales:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
"If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out." (Mark 9:47)

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Bob wrote:
> This problem also happens with my other computer running XP SP3 and IE8
> everything is updated and current, but both computers run perfectly with
> Firefox and the Vista SP2 runs perfectly with Firefox or Google chrome.
> IE8
> is junk.

<snip>

Bubey

Re: IE 8 & Win Vista - Using all my memory
It never happened this much when I was on XP, and I very rarely ever ran out
of memory. When I checked "processes" they all showed a 00 under the memory
column but
under the "Memory (working set" area none of the numbers are changing. So
if they
don't move how can I tell who is hogging the memory and keeping the hard
drive
continually working.

What about in the "Service" ? How can I tell which ones are safe to put in
manual mode so I could stop un-needed program from running?

In XP you could see the numbers change, which I assume meant they were
working for some reason?

Thanks for the help!