Keeping Web Pages Quiet

Tony Cannizzo

Keeping Web Pages Quiet
Running IE8 on XP.

Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they automatically
start playing music, or launch a video.

Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages", but
that doesn't have any effect.

I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".

I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
something.

Any ideas?
Tom Willett

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet
Turn the speakers down?

"Tony Cannizzo" <TonyCannizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Running IE8 on XP.
:
: Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they
automatically
: start playing music, or launch a video.
:
: Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages", but
: that doesn't have any effect.
:
: I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".
:
: I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
: something.
:
: Any ideas?

Donald Anadell

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet

"Tony Cannizzo" <TonyCannizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Running IE8 on XP.
>
> Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they
> automatically
> start playing music, or launch a video.

It would help if you posted some example links.

> Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages", but
> that doesn't have any effect.

That setting only affects MIDI and WAVE sounds that are embedded into the
site using the BGSOUND tag. If you have that unchecked and you're still
hearing sound the see below.

> I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".

That setting only affects animated GIF files. It has no bearing on
scripting Players of Flash video or Streaming music files.

> I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
> something.

You could use the Volume Control icon in the System Tray or turn off your
speakers all together.

> Any ideas?

If you want to completely silence the web(other than the checkmarks you've
already removed), you could disable the Flash Player and disable Scripting
in the Internet Zone.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Tony Cannizzo

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet
I use sounds judiciously, for email alerts, and a few other things, otherwise
I have a fairly quiet computer.

Here are a couple of examples:
www.thestreet.com usually launches a video with sound. And usually crashes
IE. It used to be one of my Home Pages, but I have removed the site.

www.techlinks.net ALWAYS launches the video in the upper right hand of their
home page

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome....metrofastpitch Pain in the
rear

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Tony Cannizzo" <TonyCannizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Running IE8 on XP.
> >
> > Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they
> > automatically
> > start playing music, or launch a video.

> It would help if you posted some example links.
>

> > Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages", but
> > that doesn't have any effect.

> That setting only affects MIDI and WAVE sounds that are embedded into the
> site using the BGSOUND tag. If you have that unchecked and you're still
> hearing sound the see below.
>
> > I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".

> That setting only affects animated GIF files. It has no bearing on
> scripting Players of Flash video or Streaming music files.
>
> > I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
> > something.

> You could use the Volume Control icon in the System Tray or turn off your
> speakers all together.
>
> > Any ideas?

> If you want to completely silence the web(other than the checkmarks you've
> already removed), you could disable the Flash Player and disable Scripting
> in the Internet Zone.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

MHL

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet
I'm sure we've all been to websites like this, right? I don't want to turn
off ALL my sound, just the sound for that web site. So, the solution is:
contact the web administrator for the website in question and ask them to
put a mute icon on their page!!!!!!!!! Woo Hooo, simple as that.

One I recently went to:

http://www.namcogames.com/iphone_games/

> I use sounds judiciously, for email alerts, and a few other things,
> otherwise
> I have a fairly quiet computer.
>
> Here are a couple of examples:
> www.thestreet.com usually launches a video with sound. And usually crashes
> IE. It used to be one of my Home Pages, but I have removed the site.
>
> www.techlinks.net ALWAYS launches the video in the upper right hand of
> their
> home page
>
> http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome....metrofastpitch Pain in the
> rear
>

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "Tony Cannizzo" <TonyCannizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Running IE8 on XP.
>> >
>> > Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they
>> > automatically
>> > start playing music, or launch a video.

>> It would help if you posted some example links.
>>

>> > Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages",
>> > but
>> > that doesn't have any effect.

>> That setting only affects MIDI and WAVE sounds that are embedded into the
>> site using the BGSOUND tag. If you have that unchecked and you're still
>> hearing sound the see below.
>>
>> > I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".

>> That setting only affects animated GIF files. It has no bearing on
>> scripting Players of Flash video or Streaming music files.
>>
>> > I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
>> > something.

>> You could use the Volume Control icon in the System Tray or turn off your
>> speakers all together.

Why should they have to do this?

>> > Any ideas?

>> If you want to completely silence the web(other than the checkmarks
>> you've
>> already removed), you could disable the Flash Player and disable
>> Scripting
>> in the Internet Zone.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

RobertVA

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet
Tony Cannizzo wrote:
> Running IE8 on XP.
>
> Some web sites that I need to go to really bug me because they automatically
> start playing music, or launch a video.
>
> Under Internet Options, I have unchecked "Play Sounds in Web Pages", but
> that doesn't have any effect.
>
> I haven't tried unchecking "Play aminations in webpages".
>
> I am just trying to keep web pages quiet, unless I want to listen to
> something.
>
> Any ideas?

I've seen Favelets/Bookmarklets that claim to be able to alleviate some
of those annoyances. In addition to URLs a Favorite (bookmarks in other
browsers) can contain short Javascript functions. They can do things
like convert between metric and English measurements, change the way
your browser is displaying a page (it will revert to its original form
when you refresh it) or display convenient reference tables. After a
SIMPLE installation a Favelet is conveniently available on your
favorites side bar. Look for "Zap Plugins" at
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html .

Read about bookmarklets/Favelets at http://www.bookmarklets.com/about/
Donald Anadell

Re: Keeping Web Pages Quiet

"Tony Cannizzo" <TonyCannizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use sounds judiciously, for email alerts, and a few other things,
>otherwise
> I have a fairly quiet computer.
>
> Here are a couple of examples:
> www.thestreet.com usually launches a video with sound. And usually crashes
> IE. It used to be one of my Home Pages, but I have removed the site.

I don't see any video or hear any sound at this link(thestreet.com) in any
browser I tested it with.

> www.techlinks.net ALWAYS launches the video in the upper right hand of

their
> home page

This site loads a 5 megabyte video file(LRR-Promo.swf) on you, your options
here are:
a.) disable the Flash Player in Manage Add-ons
b.) complain to the site owner

> http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome....metrofastpitch Pain in the
> rear

This site plays a MIDI file (dabulls.mid) when the site loads. The site
owner is not using the BGSOUND tag or the EMBED tag to load the midi sound
file, so removing the checkmark from "Play sounds in web pages" will not do
you any good. The Window Media Player is being lauched by a script:

document.write('<embed src="/sounds/dabulls.mid" height=45 width=160
autoplay="true" loop="FALSE" playcount="1"
type="application/x-mplayer2"></embed>');

so your options here are:
a.) Disable Scripting in the Internet Zone
b.) Complain to the site owner, ask them to remove autoplay="true" from the
script at that site.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell