IE8 not recognizing cookies

Jason Carlton

IE8 not recognizing cookies
I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
still being logged out after about an hour.

This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
persistent cookies.

I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.

Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
(in Perl):

$expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";

Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
work properly?

TIA,

Jason
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...

The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jason Carlton wrote:
> I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
> that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
> still being logged out after about an hour.
>
> This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
> persistent cookies.
>
> I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
> little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
> the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
> settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.
>
> Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
> (in Perl):
>
> $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
> print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";
>
> Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
> work properly?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jason

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
> ...And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.

Then I suspect it's not an IE8 issue either as IE8 is not supported in
Win9x.

Jason Carlton wrote:
> I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
> that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
> still being logged out after about an hour.
>
> This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
> persistent cookies.
>
> I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
> little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
> the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
> settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.
>
> Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
> (in Perl):
>
> $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
> print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";
>
> Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
> work properly?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jason

Jason Carlton

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
I don't think that's it, as I had the same problem on my own computer
when I updated from IE7 to IE8. I believe that the default setting for
IE8 is preventing them from being stored.

On Aug 30, 7:50*pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
> being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
> the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...
>
> The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
> stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>

> Jason Carlton wrote:
> > I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
> > that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
> > still being logged out after about an hour.

> > This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
> > persistent cookies.

> > I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
> > little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
> > the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
> > settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
> > occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.

> > Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
> > (in Perl):

> > $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
> > print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";

> > Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
> > work properly?

> > TIA,

> > Jason- Hide quoted text -

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
Perhaps all of you failed to disable all real-time protections before
installing IE8 or any other IE upgrade (e.g., IE6 in Win9x)?

Jason Carlton wrote:
> I don't think that's it, as I had the same problem on my own computer
> when I updated from IE7 to IE8. I believe that the default setting for
> IE8 is preventing them from being stored.
>

> On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
>> being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
>> the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...
>>
>> The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
>> stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>

>> Jason Carlton wrote:
>>> I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
>>> that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
>>> still being logged out after about an hour.

>>> This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
>>> persistent cookies.

>>> I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
>>> little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
>>> the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
>>> settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
>>> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.

>>> Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
>>> (in Perl):

>>> $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
>>> print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";

>>> Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
>>> work properly?

>>> TIA,

>>> Jason- Hide quoted text -

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
Which 'default setting' would that be?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jason Carlton wrote:
> I don't think that's it, as I had the same problem on my own computer
> when I updated from IE7 to IE8. I believe that the default setting for
> IE8 is preventing them from being stored.
>

> On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
>> being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
>> the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...
>>
>> The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
>> stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>

>> Jason Carlton wrote:
>>> I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
>>> that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
>>> still being logged out after about an hour.
>>> This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
>>> persistent cookies.
>>> I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
>>> little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
>>> the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
>>> settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
>>> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.
>>> Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
>>> (in Perl):
>>> $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
>>> print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";
>>> Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
>>> work properly?
>>> TIA,
>>> Jason- Hide quoted text -

Jason Carlton

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
I don't have any real-time protections installed on my own computer,
so while I can't verify this for all of my clients and students, I am
certain that it wouldn't have caused an issue on my own computer.

If it helps, my computer is using WinXP Home edition SP2, and I
updated from 7.0 to 8.0.

I recently discovered that it logs me out after an hour of inactivity.
I logged in, then left the browser window open on one of the logged-in
pages while I ate dinner. When I returned and clicked on a link, I
found that I had been logged out.

On Aug 30, 8:34*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps all of you failed to disable all real-time protections before
> installing IE8 or any other IE upgrade (e.g., IE6 in Win9x)?
>

> Jason Carlton wrote:
> > I don't think that's it, as I had the same problem on my own computer
> > when I updated from IE7 to IE8. I believe that the default setting for
> > IE8 is preventing them from being stored.

> > On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >> Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
> >> being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
> >> the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...

> >> The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
> >> stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Jason Carlton

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
I have no idea, it's just an educated guess. The problem seems to
appear immediately after updating to 8.0 without changing any
settings, so there has to be a default setting somewhere that prevents
persistent cookies.

Before posting this thread, I read where several other people had had
similar problems, so I don't think that this is an isolated issue.

On Aug 30, 10:12*pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Which 'default setting' would that be?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>

> Jason Carlton wrote:
> > I don't think that's it, as I had the same problem on my own computer
> > when I updated from IE7 to IE8. I believe that the default setting for
> > IE8 is preventing them from being stored.

> > On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >> Your students might have third-party software that prevents cookies from
> >> being read or kept, or they may have followed some advice they read on
> >> the internet, or their cousins may have 'fixed' their computers...

> >> The point is: Internet Explorer 8 does not prevent cookies from being
> >> stored unless someone is telling it not to do so.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

rob^_^

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
Hi Jason,

If you provided a url to your website we would be able to see for ourselves.
But anyway I think you are confused about cookies and sessions.

It is not your cookies expiring or being deleted or blocked. It is your
session timeout settings for your server.
(You can view your cookies in IE type shell:cookies in the IE address bar).

For all that your server knows, if you go away to have dinner or if your
city was knocked off the map in a nuclear flash, it has to dedicate
resources for your session and to maintain a state (data about what has been
sent and received). This cannot be allowed to go on indefinitely otherwise
servers would soon run out of resources (this is how DOS - Denial of Service
attacks work).
So all servers have a session timeout value.

Check with your Hosting provider for their settings and recommendations.

Regards.

"Jason Carlton" <jwcarlton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a designer, and on several of my sites use a "remember me" option
> that sets a persistent cookie. But my site visitors using IE8 are
> still being logged out after about an hour.
>
> This is a pretty big problem with some of the sites that rely on these
> persistent cookies.
>
> I understand that the user can change their settings, but that's very
> little help when several of these site users are there for "welcome to
> the internet" tutorials and wouldn't have a clue on how to change
> settings. And it's definitely not an OS issue, since the problem
> occurs on Win98, XP, and Vista.
>
> Here's an example of the code that I use to set the persistent cookie
> (in Perl):
>
> $expires = "Sun, 07-Feb-2010 00:00:00 GMT";
> print "Set-Cookie: user=$user; path=/; expires=$expires\n";
>
> Is there something that I can change on my end to make the cookies
> work properly?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jason

Re: IE8 not recognizing cookies
See Rob's reply IN RE session timeout settings on your server.

You have no anti-virus application and no anti-spyware applications
installed and no firewall? D'ya think /that/ might be a problem in and of
itself?

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware