IE 8 fails to print to default printer

perplexed33

IE 8 fails to print to default printer
Internet explorer says I must choose a printer. It won't accept my default
printer, but will print to a printer on a networked computer.
Also, when I try to print a popup PDF on Scottrade, the popup fails to
appear even when I allow all popups.
These problems have forced me to try Firefox, which does not have these
problems. I prefer IE 8, but these recent problems are very annoying.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 fails to print to default printer
[Presuming that you're actually interested in an answer...]

Your unnamed version of Windows probably has something similar to
Control Panel > Printers and Faxes. That's where you can select a
default printer for your computer.

Even with a default printer selected: If you ever printed to a different
printer (including, for example, the XPS driver) some applications will
maintain your selection - particularly if you pressed the Apply button -
until you change your printer selection back to the default.

PDF documents are manipulated by Adobe, not Microsoft, so your best bet
to solve a PDF problem is the Adobe knowledgebase or their own user forums.

Finally: The fact that Firefox - or Opera, Safari, Maxthon, you name it
- can do something that Internet Explorer can't do can also mean that
you haven't made the same mistake with those browsers that you have with
Internet Explorer. This is particularly true when the problem involves
third-party software, which interacts with different browsers in
different ways.

That's why it's always worthwhile to research what's really causing a
problem, rather than merely switching browsers. Otherwise, it's just a
matter of time before the same problem comes back to bite you. And I'm
talking from experience here - ouch!
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est