IE8 mangles sentences on several sites

LumberGumRubber

IE8 mangles sentences on several sites
I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. Two sites in particular will come up
with sentences overlapping & I'll call it mangled.
I've cleared Browser history, the cache etc. I've uninstalled IE8 and IE7
will perform the same aggravating thing. I've reinstalled IE8 and of course,
no change.
Opera or Firefox will display correctly, although once Firefox displayed the
same sites as did IE8. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled and now has
performed flawlessly for the last few days.
I do notice, that if I put the text size down to the smallest, it appears
ok. Weird thing is though, on my wife's laptop, these sites will work
perfectly. She has Vista Home Premium with IE8. I'm using no Registry
Cleaners, but do use Norton360 vs 3, but so does our other computer.
The BostonHerald.com & LiveLeak.com are the two culprit sites that give IE8
snags. And oh yes, I have used the Compatibility View Settings, but to no
avail.
Any with an idea as to why I'm having this grief with these sites with IE8?
rob^_^

Re: IE8 mangles sentences on several sites
Hi,

Compare your settings with your wife's computer.

Tools>Internet Options - General tab

Accessibility button - Ignore font sizes specified in web pages (also set
View>Text Size to the default of "Meduim".
Optional - Ignore font styles specified in web pages. (If you already have
checked this setting then you may be using a font family that has large
fonts.... see the Fonts button setting below).

Fonts Button - Choose a fonts family that has a large font size - The
default is Times New Roman. Some fonts like "Small Font" render as very
small characters even when the text size is specified as "Medium".

Regards.

"LumberGumRubber" <LumberGumRubber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:96C8D3F7-3446-4EFD-B349-42FAB455D8BB@microsoft.com...
> I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. Two sites in particular will come
> up
> with sentences overlapping & I'll call it mangled.
> I've cleared Browser history, the cache etc. I've uninstalled IE8 and IE7
> will perform the same aggravating thing. I've reinstalled IE8 and of
> course,
> no change.
> Opera or Firefox will display correctly, although once Firefox displayed
> the
> same sites as did IE8. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled and now has
> performed flawlessly for the last few days.
> I do notice, that if I put the text size down to the smallest, it appears
> ok. Weird thing is though, on my wife's laptop, these sites will work
> perfectly. She has Vista Home Premium with IE8. I'm using no Registry
> Cleaners, but do use Norton360 vs 3, but so does our other computer.
> The BostonHerald.com & LiveLeak.com are the two culprit sites that give
> IE8
> snags. And oh yes, I have used the Compatibility View Settings, but to no
> avail.
> Any with an idea as to why I'm having this grief with these sites with
> IE8?

LumberGumRubber

Re: IE8 mangles sentences on several sites
Rob, you have answered this question & found the snag on your first reply.
You can now stand up, take a deep breath and a low bow.
I've been at this for over two weeks on another forum and could not get the
answer. Your help here my friend is very much appreciated. Thank you Rob!!!

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Compare your settings with your wife's computer.
>
> Tools>Internet Options - General tab
>
> Accessibility button - Ignore font sizes specified in web pages (also set
> View>Text Size to the default of "Meduim".
> Optional - Ignore font styles specified in web pages. (If you already have
> checked this setting then you may be using a font family that has large
> fonts.... see the Fonts button setting below).
>
> Fonts Button - Choose a fonts family that has a large font size - The
> default is Times New Roman. Some fonts like "Small Font" render as very
> small characters even when the text size is specified as "Medium".
>
> Regards.
>
> "LumberGumRubber" <LumberGumRubber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:96C8D3F7-3446-4EFD-B349-42FAB455D8BB@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. Two sites in particular will come
> > up
> > with sentences overlapping & I'll call it mangled.
> > I've cleared Browser history, the cache etc. I've uninstalled IE8 and IE7
> > will perform the same aggravating thing. I've reinstalled IE8 and of
> > course,
> > no change.
> > Opera or Firefox will display correctly, although once Firefox displayed
> > the
> > same sites as did IE8. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled and now has
> > performed flawlessly for the last few days.
> > I do notice, that if I put the text size down to the smallest, it appears
> > ok. Weird thing is though, on my wife's laptop, these sites will work
> > perfectly. She has Vista Home Premium with IE8. I'm using no Registry
> > Cleaners, but do use Norton360 vs 3, but so does our other computer.
> > The BostonHerald.com & LiveLeak.com are the two culprit sites that give
> > IE8
> > snags. And oh yes, I have used the Compatibility View Settings, but to no
> > avail.
> > Any with an idea as to why I'm having this grief with these sites with
> > IE8?

LumberGumRubber

Re: IE8 mangles sentences on several sites
Rob, I think it half wise to at least state where the problem lay. I went to
Internet Options / General / Accessability/ and I had "Ignore Font Sizes
specified on Web pages" checked off.
Having unchecked this, the site that was giving me great grief immediately
became normal.
I didn't see an edit to edit my previous response to you, so I am simply
sending another posting here. Thanks again Rob for your excellent help!!!

"LumberGumRubber" wrote:

> Rob, you have answered this question & found the snag on your first reply.
> You can now stand up, take a deep breath and a low bow.
> I've been at this for over two weeks on another forum and could not get the
> answer. Your help here my friend is very much appreciated. Thank you Rob!!!
>

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Compare your settings with your wife's computer.
> >
> > Tools>Internet Options - General tab
> >
> > Accessibility button - Ignore font sizes specified in web pages (also set
> > View>Text Size to the default of "Meduim".
> > Optional - Ignore font styles specified in web pages. (If you already have
> > checked this setting then you may be using a font family that has large
> > fonts.... see the Fonts button setting below).
> >
> > Fonts Button - Choose a fonts family that has a large font size - The
> > default is Times New Roman. Some fonts like "Small Font" render as very
> > small characters even when the text size is specified as "Medium".
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > "LumberGumRubber" <LumberGumRubber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:96C8D3F7-3446-4EFD-B349-42FAB455D8BB@microsoft.com...
> > > I'm using Vista Home Premium with IE8. Two sites in particular will come
> > > up
> > > with sentences overlapping & I'll call it mangled.
> > > I've cleared Browser history, the cache etc. I've uninstalled IE8 and IE7
> > > will perform the same aggravating thing. I've reinstalled IE8 and of
> > > course,
> > > no change.
> > > Opera or Firefox will display correctly, although once Firefox displayed
> > > the
> > > same sites as did IE8. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled and now has
> > > performed flawlessly for the last few days.
> > > I do notice, that if I put the text size down to the smallest, it appears
> > > ok. Weird thing is though, on my wife's laptop, these sites will work
> > > perfectly. She has Vista Home Premium with IE8. I'm using no Registry
> > > Cleaners, but do use Norton360 vs 3, but so does our other computer.
> > > The BostonHerald.com & LiveLeak.com are the two culprit sites that give
> > > IE8
> > > snags. And oh yes, I have used the Compatibility View Settings, but to no
> > > avail.
> > > Any with an idea as to why I'm having this grief with these sites with
> > > IE8?

rob^_^

Re: IE8 mangles sentences on several sites
YW.

"LumberGumRubber" <LumberGumRubber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C8EAF45B-E33F-4EBB-9F56-0ABEA3C4DCDB@microsoft.com...
> Rob, I think it half wise to at least state where the problem lay. I went
> Internet Options / General / Accessability/ and I had "Ignore Font Sizes
> specified on Web pages" checked off.
> Having unchecked this, the site that was giving me great grief immediately
> became normal.
> I didn't see an edit to edit my previous response to you, so I am simply
> sending another posting here. Thanks again Rob for your excellent help!!!
>

> "LumberGumRubber" wrote:
>
>> Rob, you have answered this question & found the snag on your first
>> reply.
>> You can now stand up, take a deep breath and a low bow.
>> I've been at this for over two weeks on another forum and could not get
>> the
>> answer. Your help here my friend is very much appreciated. Thank you
>> Rob!!!
>>

>> "rob^_^" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Compare your settings with your wife's computer.
>> >
>> > Tools>Internet Options - General tab
>> >
>> > Accessibility button - Ignore font sizes specified in web pages (also
>> > set
>> > View>Text Size to the default of "Meduim".
>> > Optional - Ignore font styles specified in web pages. (If you already
>> > have
>> > checked this setting then you may be using a font family that has large
>> > fonts.... see the Fonts button setting below).
>> >
>> > Fonts Button - Choose a fonts family that has a large font size - The
>> > default is Times New Roman. Some fonts like "Small Font" render as very
>> > small characters even when the text size is specified as "Medium".
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> >
>> > "LumberGumRubber" <LumberGumRubber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message news:96C8D3F7-3446-4EFD-B349-42FAB455D8BB@microsoft.com...

VanguardLH

LumberGumRubber wrote:

> Rob, I think it half wise to at least state where the problem lay. I went to
> Internet Options / General / Accessability/ and I had "Ignore Font Sizes
> specified on Web pages" checked off.
> Having unchecked this, the site that was giving me great grief immediately
> became normal.

Did you ever change the DPI setting for your screen settings (to make
small fonts larger)? If so, web sites won't know that. Changing the
DPI setting in Windows won't change their code for font size, spacing,
or positioning.