IE8 on Vista, Links no Open

BrianO

IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
My links do not navigate at all. I have to copy/ paste the short cut to get
from the page I am on, to another page. Any help?

I have turned off pop-up blocker, and security is set to Medium-Low.
rob^_^

Re: IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
Hi Brian,

Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs.

Find internet explorer in the list and then press the "Set this program as
default" option.

Which other browsers do you have installed. We have seen this happen before
and it would be good if we could track it down.

If this does not work, post back as there is another Registry hack, that may
fix the issue, and I can give you detailed instructions (editing the
Registry is required).

Regards.

"BrianO" <BrianO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My links do not navigate at all. I have to copy/ paste the short cut to
> get
> from the page I am on, to another page. Any help?
>
> I have turned off pop-up blocker, and security is set to Medium-Low.

Andrew

Re: IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
I have this problem as well, just upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8 on Vista and now
cannot open links. I tried the below suggestion but it didn't work. The only
other browser I have installed is Firefox 3.5.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs.
>
> Find internet explorer in the list and then press the "Set this program as
> default" option.
>
> Which other browsers do you have installed. We have seen this happen before
> and it would be good if we could track it down.
>
> If this does not work, post back as there is another Registry hack, that may
> fix the issue, and I can give you detailed instructions (editing the
> Registry is required).
>
> Regards.
>
> "BrianO" <BrianO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My links do not navigate at all. I have to copy/ paste the short cut to
> > get
> > from the page I am on, to another page. Any help?
> >
> > I have turned off pop-up blocker, and security is set to Medium-Low.

rob^_^

Re: IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback.... it is most helpful to know that you have had the
same problem after upgrading from IE6 to 8.

Do you know enough to confidently use regedit?

Can you post back with the value for the following Registry key?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Open\Comm and

Here is my (working) value....

"C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\ieframe.dll",OpenURL
%l

I suspect that you will have shdocvw.dll instead of ieframe.dll.

ieframe.dll is the correct entry here for IE7 and 8.

Regards.

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have this problem as well, just upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8 on Vista and
> now
> cannot open links. I tried the below suggestion but it didn't work. The
> only
> other browser I have installed is Firefox 3.5.
>

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs.
>>
>> Find internet explorer in the list and then press the "Set this program
>> as
>> default" option.
>>
>> Which other browsers do you have installed. We have seen this happen
>> before
>> and it would be good if we could track it down.
>>
>> If this does not work, post back as there is another Registry hack, that
>> may
>> fix the issue, and I can give you detailed instructions (editing the
>> Registry is required).
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "BrianO" <BrianO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My links do not navigate at all. I have to copy/ paste the short cut to
>> > get
>> > from the page I am on, to another page. Any help?
>> >
>> > I have turned off pop-up blocker, and security is set to Medium-Low.

Andrew

Re: IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
Hi Rob,

I am famililar with regedit B).
I looked up the value but is as your value:
"C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\ieframe.dll",OpenURL
%l

Any other things I could try?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.... it is most helpful to know that you have had the
> same problem after upgrading from IE6 to 8.
>
> Do you know enough to confidently use regedit?
>
> Can you post back with the value for the following Registry key?
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\Shell\Open\Comm and
>

> Here is my (working) value....
>
> "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\ieframe.dll",OpenURL
> %l
>
> I suspect that you will have shdocvw.dll instead of ieframe.dll.
>
> ieframe.dll is the correct entry here for IE7 and 8.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have this problem as well, just upgraded from IE 6 to IE 8 on Vista and
> > now
> > cannot open links. I tried the below suggestion but it didn't work. The
> > only
> > other browser I have installed is Firefox 3.5.
> >

> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Brian,
> >>
> >> Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Set your default programs.
> >>
> >> Find internet explorer in the list and then press the "Set this program
> >> as
> >> default" option.
> >>
> >> Which other browsers do you have installed. We have seen this happen
> >> before
> >> and it would be good if we could track it down.
> >>
> >> If this does not work, post back as there is another Registry hack, that
> >> may
> >> fix the issue, and I can give you detailed instructions (editing the
> >> Registry is required).
> >>
> >> Regards.

rob^_^

Re: IE8 on Vista, Links no Open
Hi Andrew,

I'll have to look into it a bit more. I've had a similar problem myself. My
notes are somewhere on my terra byte drive.

I may have got the key wrong, it may be for the http or https protocol
handlers, but the diagnosis is that somehow a value for one of the protocol
handlers is not being changed to (or is perhaps overwritten when another
browser is made the default browser)

The symptoms are that you cannot navigate IE by clicking a link on a
document or in an email, nor by clicking a Favorite (.url = Internet
Shortcut) file. All of the icons in your favorites folders appear as the
default (IE on a page) icon.

You could try searching the HKCR node of your registry for either
'shdocvw.dll' or 'browseui.dll'.

I just tried reproducing the feature on my Vista x86 machine (again), but I
was not allowed to change the registry value for that key. This may have
been something that has been added by a security update since the problem
occurred for me. I also noticed that there are some new IE changes in the
registry that look like new protocol handlers. Again something that has been
added by Windows update since I last had the problem.

Looking for shdocvw.dll in your registry is the best bet. Please let us know
the key if you find it in your registry. The fix should be the same, just
replace 'shdocvw.dll' with 'ieframe.dll'.