IE* lock up

richndnh

IE* lock up
Two weeks ago I got an automatic update from MicroSoft. It installed upon
shutting down teh system for the night. Any time I have multiple windows open
in IE, and Iwant to close one window, the system does not respond and I have
to close IE. I am using XP. Any suggestions.

Re: IE* lock up
WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What updates did you install "two weeks ago"? Was IE8 one of them?

richndnh wrote:
> Two weeks ago I got an automatic update from MicroSoft. It installed upon
> shutting down teh system for the night. Any time I have multiple windows
> open in IE, and Iwant to close one window, the system does not respond and
> I have to close IE. I am using XP. Any suggestions.

VanguardLH

Re: IE* lock up
richndnh wrote:

> Two weeks ago I got an automatic update from MicroSoft. It installed upon
> shutting down teh system for the night. Any time I have multiple windows open
> in IE, and Iwant to close one window, the system does not respond and I have
> to close IE. I am using XP. Any suggestions.

See what happens when you start the unidentified version of IE in its no
add-ons mode or after disabling all add-ons (you deliberately didn't
bother to mention the version of IE so no one can tell if it has a no
add-ons mode for YOUR version).
richndnh

Re: IE* lock up
It was not deliberate that I did not mention what version. Just a lapse.

Version 8.0.6001.19702

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> richndnh wrote:
>
> > Two weeks ago I got an automatic update from MicroSoft. It installed upon
> > shutting down teh system for the night. Any time I have multiple windows open
> > in IE, and Iwant to close one window, the system does not respond and I have
> > to close IE. I am using XP. Any suggestions.

> See what happens when you start the unidentified version of IE in its no
> add-ons mode or after disabling all add-ons (you deliberately didn't
> bother to mention the version of IE so no one can tell if it has a no
> add-ons mode for YOUR version).

richndnh

Re: IE* lock up
I did not check to see what the updates where. It was late at night and I
just let the system down load and install as it is on regularly scheduled
tasks.

I do have IE8.0.6001.18702

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> What updates did you install "two weeks ago"? Was IE8 one of them?
>

> richndnh wrote:
> > Two weeks ago I got an automatic update from MicroSoft. It installed upon
> > shutting down teh system for the night. Any time I have multiple windows
> > open in IE, and Iwant to close one window, the system does not respond and
> > I have to close IE. I am using XP. Any suggestions.

Re: IE* lock up
Repost:
>> WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Update History section of http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com will list the
updates you installed.

richndnh wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> richndnh wrote:
>>
>>> Any time I have multiple windows open in IE, and I want to close one
>>> window, the system does not respond and I have to close IE. I am
>>> using XP.

>> See what happens when you start the unidentified version of IE in
>> its no add-ons mode or after disabling all add-ons

> Version 8.0.6001.19702

Then you can right-click on the IE8 desktop icon (if it is not a
shortcut but a namespace link) to select to run without add-ons, or you
can run:

[path]\iexplore.exe -extoff

If iexplore.exe doesn't run from the command line, you'll have to
specify the path to the executable file.

Notification area/ How to get rid of Caps Lock, Scroll Lock Heidi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-27-2009 14:16
CAPS lock / SHIFT lock difficulty Dumb Bunny microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-22-2008 11:56
Lock-In Paul Security News 0 02-12-2008 14:20
Off the wire: Security: when lock downs lock out the blind Steve Security News 0 05-31-2007 23:19
Lock expert shows how to defeat a secure lock at HITBSecConf2007 Dubai Steve Security News 0 03-05-2007 10:46