ie 8 "windows has blocked this software can't verify publisher"

yahdie

ie 8 "windows has blocked this software can't verify publisher"
How about a tempory "Unsafe Mode" that will alow users to unblock ActiveX
downloads that we might actually NEED to do something?
I will me uninstalling IE8, which I otherwise really like because it keeps
blocking stuff i want to download/run in the browser.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

rob^_^

Re: ie 8 "windows has blocked this software can't verify publisher"
Hi Yahdie,

Either Add the site to your Trusted Zone (Tools>Internet Options - Security
tab) (that is if you really, really trust the site)

or set your security settings for the Internet Zone to their default.
(Default button on the Security Zone tab of Internet Options)

The default security zone settings are designed to work (without annoyance)
with most web sites that are in the Internet Zone. If your security settings
are at their default level and you are still being blocked from installing
the ActiveX by IE, then it is for a very good reason. Without knowing which
site or which ActiveX control you are trying to install we cannot advise you
if there are security issues.

Regards.
"yahdie" <yahdie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How about a tempory "Unsafe Mode" that will alow users to unblock ActiveX
> downloads that we might actually NEED to do something?
> I will me uninstalling IE8, which I otherwise really like because it keeps
> blocking stuff i want to download/run in the browser.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

VanguardLH

yahdie wrote:

> How about a tempory "Unsafe Mode" that will alow users to unblock
> ActiveX downloads that we might actually NEED to do something?

You don't understand ActiveX "downloads". You don't just download and
run them (once). You download them, INSTALL them, and then run them.
Once you downloaded and installed it, it remains there. It may not get
used except as specific sites that use scripts that call that
particular AX object but it remains installed the entire time. YOU
chose to let that unsafe AX object get *installed* on your host.

So why not request that site produce a safe AX object? Why are they
scared to sign their installation package, or to explicitly mark their
script as safe?

> I will me uninstalling IE8,

So why waste time asking here about anything regarding IE8 if you
aren't going to be using it hereinafter?

Are you actually planning on uninstalling all of IE which will also
make other applications that utilize IE's libraries, especially HTAs
(HTML Applications), cease to function?

> which I otherwise really like because it keeps blocking stuff i want
> to download/run in the browser.

Nothing stops you from temporarily changing the config for IE to accept
any AX object, whether signed or not, whether marked safe or not, and
just accept everything that web site wants to jam onto your host and
leave there indefinitely, especially since many if not the majority of
AX installs never add an uninstall entry to the Add/Remove Programs
applet to get rid of them later (so enjoy the manual removal if you can
figure it out).

Or, as rob mentioned, add the site to your Trusted Sites list if you
truly trust them. Do you really trust them with AX objects not marked
as safe? This is actually a critical but unsafe AX object? Didn't
think so. It's just one site that has their reasons or are lazy in
producing a safe AX object.
kjhgfds

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> yahdie wrote:
>
> > How about a tempory "Unsafe Mode" that will alow users to unblock
> > ActiveX downloads that we might actually NEED to do something?

> You don't understand ActiveX "downloads". You don't just download and
> run them (once). You download them, INSTALL them, and then run them.
> Once you downloaded and installed it, it remains there. It may not get
> used except as specific sites that use scripts that call that
> particular AX object but it remains installed the entire time. YOU
> chose to let that unsafe AX object get *installed* on your host.
>
> So why not request that site produce a safe AX object? Why are they
> scared to sign their installation package, or to explicitly mark their
> script as safe?
>
> > I will me uninstalling IE8,

> So why waste time asking here about anything regarding IE8 if you
> aren't going to be using it hereinafter?
>
> Are you actually planning on uninstalling all of IE which will also
> make other applications that utilize IE's libraries, especially HTAs
> (HTML Applications), cease to function?
>
> > which I otherwise really like because it keeps blocking stuff i want
> > to download/run in the browser.

> Nothing stops you from temporarily changing the config for IE to accept
> any AX object, whether signed or not, whether marked safe or not, and
> just accept everything that web site wants to jam onto your host and
> leave there indefinitely, especially since many if not the majority of
> AX installs never add an uninstall entry to the Add/Remove Programs
> applet to get rid of them later (so enjoy the manual removal if you can
> figure it out).
>
> Or, as rob mentioned, add the site to your Trusted Sites list if you
> truly trust them. Do you really trust them with AX objects not marked
> as safe? This is actually a critical but unsafe AX object? Didn't
> think so. It's just one site that has their reasons or are lazy in
> producing a safe AX object.

Add:
http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/java/

A government website. It still doesn't work. I hate microsoft security
settings. It's a joke anyway. Most msft stuff is easily infected with
malware, so this is pathetic when you're trying to get to a website for
BUSINESS.
VanguardLH

kjhgfds wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> yahdie wrote:
>>
>>> How about a tempory "Unsafe Mode" that will alow users to unblock
>>> ActiveX downloads that we might actually NEED to do something?

>> You don't understand ActiveX "downloads". You don't just download and
>> run them (once). You download them, INSTALL them, and then run them.
>> Once you downloaded and installed it, it remains there. It may not get
>> used except as specific sites that use scripts that call that
>> particular AX object but it remains installed the entire time. YOU
>> chose to let that unsafe AX object get *installed* on your host.
>>
>> So why not request that site produce a safe AX object? Why are they
>> scared to sign their installation package, or to explicitly mark their
>> script as safe?
>>
>>> I will me uninstalling IE8,

>> So why waste time asking here about anything regarding IE8 if you
>> aren't going to be using it hereinafter?
>>
>> Are you actually planning on uninstalling all of IE which will also
>> make other applications that utilize IE's libraries, especially HTAs
>> (HTML Applications), cease to function?
>>
>>> which I otherwise really like because it keeps blocking stuff i want
>>> to download/run in the browser.

>> Nothing stops you from temporarily changing the config for IE to accept
>> any AX object, whether signed or not, whether marked safe or not, and
>> just accept everything that web site wants to jam onto your host and
>> leave there indefinitely, especially since many if not the majority of
>> AX installs never add an uninstall entry to the Add/Remove Programs
>> applet to get rid of them later (so enjoy the manual removal if you can
>> figure it out).
>>
>> Or, as rob mentioned, add the site to your Trusted Sites list if you
>> truly trust them. Do you really trust them with AX objects not marked
>> as safe? This is actually a critical but unsafe AX object? Didn't
>> think so. It's just one site that has their reasons or are lazy in
>> producing a safe AX object.
>>

> Add:
> http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/java/
>
> A government website. It still doesn't work. I hate microsoft security
> settings. It's a joke anyway. Most msft stuff is easily infected with
> malware, so this is pathetic when you're trying to get to a website for
> BUSINESS.

So you whine with a "me too" post added to a 4-month old thread when
obviously the answer has already been given of reconfiguring IE to be less
safe because that's how you want it. If they don't want to sign it but yuo
want to accept all those unsigned AX controls then go for it and accept them
all (or disable temporarily, accept, and reconfigure back to higher
security). Your choice.

By the way, what does your problem with the Java interperter (which is NOT
part of IE) at the example web site have to do with Active X controls? If
you want to visit Java-enabled web sites then install a Java interpeter,
like Sun's JRE.