WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen

phsprague

WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen
recently had windowsxp reinstalled, all clean. Upgraded at MS's prompt to
IE8. When installed, prompted to restart. Did so. Nothing. Screen dead.
Monitor's self test tells me monitor is working properly. Disk spins up as if
it is booting (sounds normal), but no screen activity at all. Checked
connections, all seem fine. Any ideas?
rob^_^

Re: WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen
Hi PH,

Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? (press F5 during bootup)?

While in safe mode, check your Driver installs and ensure that you have
installed your Screen driver.

Regards.

"phsprague" <phsprague@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> recently had windowsxp reinstalled, all clean. Upgraded at MS's prompt to
> IE8. When installed, prompted to restart. Did so. Nothing. Screen dead.
> Monitor's self test tells me monitor is working properly. Disk spins up as
> if
> it is booting (sounds normal), but no screen activity at all. Checked
> connections, all seem fine. Any ideas?

phsprague

Re: WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen
hi, Rob, thanks. No, I can't get any response on my screen from keyboard
input. all my cables are in place and were functioning the minute before the
reboot, screen was fine, everything functioning fine. Only change was IE8
upgrade. I will see if I have another monitor/cable to see if something else
failed. bizarre. I was expecting issues, but I DID expect to be able to see a
screen!

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi PH,
>
> Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? (press F5 during bootup)?
>
> While in safe mode, check your Driver installs and ensure that you have
> installed your Screen driver.
>
> Regards.
>

> "phsprague" <phsprague@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > recently had windowsxp reinstalled, all clean. Upgraded at MS's prompt to
> > IE8. When installed, prompted to restart. Did so. Nothing. Screen dead.
> > Monitor's self test tells me monitor is working properly. Disk spins up as
> > if
> > it is booting (sounds normal), but no screen activity at all. Checked
> > connections, all seem fine. Any ideas?

phsprague

Re: WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen
New monitor/cable makes no difference. Did this thing fry my video card? Or
was IE8 just made for Vista and doesn't talk to these old XP legacy boxes
anymore? Any way to get back to IE7 w/out seeing a screen? I'm not an idiot,
but not that good.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi PH,
>
> Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? (press F5 during bootup)?
>
> While in safe mode, check your Driver installs and ensure that you have
> installed your Screen driver.
>
> Regards.
>

> "phsprague" <phsprague@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > recently had windowsxp reinstalled, all clean. Upgraded at MS's prompt to
> > IE8. When installed, prompted to restart. Did so. Nothing. Screen dead.
> > Monitor's self test tells me monitor is working properly. Disk spins up as
> > if
> > it is booting (sounds normal), but no screen activity at all. Checked
> > connections, all seem fine. Any ideas?

Re: WinXP PC won't reboot after IE8 upgrade -spins up, no screen
> recently had windowsxp reinstalled...

Why? Was your HDD formatted and a clean install done or was it a Repair
Install?

Are you running WinXP SP3 now and is the computer fully patched at Windows
Update?

Reference:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Did you do everything on the above page before otherwise connecting the
computer to the internet (e.g., to browse, check email, chat, download
"stuff")?

in the background when you installed IE8 and/or a WinXP Service Pack?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
www.banthecheck.com

phsprague wrote:
> recently had windowsxp reinstalled, all clean. Upgraded at MS's prompt to
> IE8. When installed, prompted to restart. Did so. Nothing. Screen dead.
> Monitor's self test tells me monitor is working properly. Disk spins up as
> if it is booting (sounds normal), but no screen activity at all. Checked
> connections, all seem fine. Any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

"phsprague" <phsprague@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C92556C5-201A-4248-8F44-51C8895EF4EB@microsoft.com...

>> Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? (press F5 during bootup)?

(I think that may have been a typo. <w>)

> hi, Rob, thanks. No, I can't get any response on my screen from keyboard input.

Try pressing F8 instead?

---