Google takes over. WHY?

ARTHUR

Google takes over. WHY?
I use IE 8, SP3, and the add-on search bar in the top right corner of
the browser is Google.

It occasionally happens that I type in a URL (www.plusjozef.pl )
address and the IE8 doesn't take me to the required site. Instead, I
see a list of google search results where the name of the required
site is at the top.

If the default search bar is yahoo, then yahoo search results come
up.

Why does Google take over and how to turn it off?

I've checked in Tools/Adds-on and nothing relating to google (yahoo)
is turned on. Also, I've chosen reset in Tools/Internet Options/
Advanced and still no change. Any idea how to get rid of search
results and get straight to the requested site?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Google takes over. WHY?
And if you enable...

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Search from the Address bar | Do
not search from the Address bar <=this option

....does the behavior persist?

Is it a Dell computer?

ARTHUR wrote:
> I use IE 8, SP3, and the add-on search bar in the top right corner of
> the browser is Google.
>
> It occasionally happens that I type in a URL (www.plusjozef.pl )
> address and the IE8 doesn't take me to the required site. Instead, I
> see a list of google search results where the name of the required
> site is at the top.
>
> If the default search bar is yahoo, then yahoo search results come
> up.
>
> Why does Google take over and how to turn it off?
>
> I've checked in Tools/Adds-on and nothing relating to google (yahoo)
> is turned on. Also, I've chosen reset in Tools/Internet Options/
> Advanced and still no change. Any idea how to get rid of search
> results and get straight to the requested site?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Google takes over. WHY?

"ARTHUR" <al2502@poczta.fm> wrote in message news:cb6eaf7a-881b-484b-9cb1-3cef5cdc4159@o21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
>I use IE 8, SP3, and the add-on search bar in the top right corner of
> the browser is Google.
>

> It occasionally happens that I type in a URL (www.plusjozef.pl )
> address and the IE8 doesn't take me to the required site.

> Instead, I
> see a list of google search results where the name of the required
> site is at the top.
>
> If the default search bar is yahoo, then yahoo search results come
> up.
>

> Why does Google take over and how to turn it off?

Because what you are typing is not a full URL
and because your DNS may be too slow doing a lookup
for what you typed to be used as a test URL before
a handoff is made for that search argument to your
Address bar search OR because your DNS is deciding
that that lookup would fail and then as a feature,
which you may or may not have any control over,
passes that search argument to *its* search engine.

> I've checked in Tools/Adds-on and nothing relating to google (yahoo)
> is turned on. Also, I've chosen reset in Tools/Internet Options/
> Advanced and still no change. Any idea how to get rid of search
> results and get straight to the requested site?

If it still happens with a full URL, e.g. including a protocol prefix,
test the lookup with a ping -n 1 in a cmd window before trying to make
IE do the lookup. That way you can get the lookup cached so that
IE's is done from XP's dnscache. BTW ipconfig /displaydns shows
that the Time To Live (TTL) of this cached lookup would be quite long...

<displaydns>
www.plusjozef.pl
Record Name . . . . . : www.plusjozef.pl
Record Type . . . . . : 5
Time To Live . . . . : 14343
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
CNAME Record . . . . : plusjozef.pl
</displaydns>

That's interesting. This cached record would be useless by itself for doing
what you want--making IE's lookup independent of your DNS.
See the CNAME (canonical name) Record? I was expecting that to be
an A (Host) Record with an IP Address.

Oops. I had overlooked that the ping -n 1 actually had warned me of this...

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>ping -n 1 www.plusjozef.pl

Pinging plusjozef.pl [69.72.205.90] with 32 bytes of data:
</cmd_output>

See the second name referred to by the reverse lookup of the IP Address
being pinged? So what you would really need to do then to make sure
you had a fully cached lookup would be to ping the second name too
and make sure that it had a cached A record afterwards...

<displaydns>
plusjozef.pl
Record Name . . . . . : plusjozef.pl
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 13565
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 69.72.205.90
</displaydns>

Now it would work. BTW this suggests that you actually might have
better luck with your current procedure, e.g. just entering a search argument
that looks like a host name, by entering only the domain name instead.
Then how successful you were in getting a page rendered that way
would depend on how the page was coded and whether any redirects
were needed to get it fully loaded.

FWIW the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v) shows that the domain name would be
retained while rendering the rest of the page, at least as far as getting the
main components loaded.

> Thanks for any help.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle